Status: Completed

Shake Me Awake

Chapter 4

“Miss Blake? Miss Blake, can you hear me?” The voice is soft and sweet. I slowly try to open my heavy eyes from the anesthetic after surgery. “There we are. Good to see you back, Miss Blake. How is your pain right now?” She checks my pulse and looks over my bandages while she asks me the tiresome questions following any major surgery, and I reply with the appropriate answers. After she finishes she quietly leaves the room.

I lay my head back on my pillow and rest my eyes for just a moment longer. It’s been about four days since the wreck. We had to wait for my concussion to go away and make sure there weren’t any other issues before being able to put my badly broken wrist back together. The doctors say that the gash in my right leg is looking much better. Should not be any permanent damage other than a pretty cool scar.

Mom and dad have been taking turns staying overnight, even though I told them I was old enough to stay by myself. They just chuckled and said, “Don’t be silly, Spencer. If you’re not too old to be in the hospital, then you’re not too old to have your parents stay with you.”

Nelson is doing much better too. He visits every day and sneaks me food that the nurses won’t let me have. I’m glad he’s able to visit; it would be pretty boring if he didn’t come every day. Ronnie visits, but she works a lot, so Nelson is the one assigned to keeping me entertained; whether it’s trashing bad movies, or watching good ones.

I had been so wrapped up in what the nurse was doing after I woke up that I didn’t notice anyone else in the room. As my eyes are closed I hear a shuffling of feet. It can’t be mom or dad; I already knew that they would not be here when I woke up. They couldn’t get out of meetings today since they had missed so much work already, and that pained them right to the core, I know it. Nel is at school and Ronnie should be at work. I wearily open my eyes to see the back side of fireman Kent Hayes. Not bad at all.

“Hey, you.” My voice trying hard to hide the bit of excitement I feel that he is here, mixed with the grogginess from surgery. I hadn’t seen him since the night of the wreck. I didn’t expect to see him again, really, even though I wanted to. But I never was the type to go after something I like, especially if it’s a guy. And I don’t necessarily like him like that. Yea, he’s cute, but there’s something else about him; I just can’t put my finger on it.

At the sound of my voice he stops in his tracks and turns on his heels to look at me. “Hey, you.” A small smile in the corner of his lips.

“You stalking me again, I see.” I return the smile.

“Yeah, that’s me. Guess I’m not that good at hiding it, huh?” He walks over to the left side of my bed and places a hand on the railing beside my arm.

“I’ve seen worse.” I chuckle, thinking back on my stalker ex-boyfriend.

“Oh?” His eyebrows rise in surprise.

“Oh, yeah, but that’s a story for another time.” I chuckle. After just a moment I continue, “So…why are you here? I mean, just because you practically saved my life doesn’t mean you have to babysit me now.” My tone is friendly, but you can tell I’m not sure what to think of this.

His look suddenly turns to question as if to think I don’t want him here. As soon as the words leave my mouth I regret asking the question; just wishing I could take it back. His tone lowers, and his eyes avert from mine. “Oh, well, I just thought you needed to have someone here when you woke up.”

This guy is too sweet. I mean, was he really here just to keep me company? Doesn’t he have a girlfriend waiting for him at home or something? I shoot him a shy smile. And as if he knew that I was about to say ‘thank you,’ he gives me a small nod of his head and without words there’s an understanding between us.

He shuffles on his feet for a moment before breaking the silence that befalls us. “Oh, how are you feeling, babe?” He hesitates before finishing. “You look great for having just had surgery.” “Oh…thank you.” That was not expected. Crap, can you look away while I throw some powder at my face please? “I feel okay right now. My arm feels really weird though. I’m sure I’ll need some pain meds here in a minute.” His stare is getting intense; like he’s trying to tell if I’m lying about the pain, or something. “Oh, and food, I need food. They have starved me since yesterday, prepping for this surgery. Kent, get me food. I beg you.”

He lets out a big laugh before he turns around to reach for something in his chair. He returns to my side with two small bags from Sonic. “Already on that, babe.” In each bag is an order of cheese sticks. It’s only about ten in the morning. Who knew that someone else ate these things for breakfast? My favorite. How did he know?

“You are just too sly.”

***

We chat while we both eat; talking about our families and our lives growing up. Turns out we have a lot in common. That helps keep the conversation flowing. We also talk about how big of a movie buff I am.

“There is no way you are a bigger movie freak than I am, I tell you.” He laughs as he takes another sip of his coke.

“What? Ha! Whatever. I’d have to see it to believe it.”

A bit later things quiet down. I’m getting sleepy so I’m now rolled over on my side facing his chair. Not too comfortable considering I have this huge wrapped up arm to try and position just right. He’s leaned back while we both watch How I Met Your Mother reruns.

“Hey, where were you going when I woke up earlier? Were you going to leave since I wasn’t up?” My voice is low and soft. I’m trying to ask him if I was supposed to let him leave; if he wanted to leave. “I mean, shouldn’t you be at work or something?” As I finish I finally muster the confidence to make eye contact with those beautiful blue orbs.

“No, sweetie, your parents asked me to let them know when you were awake. I was just stepping outside to call them so I wouldn’t wake you. You looked so peaceful.” His stare is starting to hypnotize me.

As If they were able to read my mind, my parents walk through the door. Greetings are thrown at each other, while they make their way to my side. Mom examines my wrapped up arm, as if she knew how it was supposed to look, and begins to ask how I’m doing as dad is conversing with Kent.

“Thanks for keeping an eye on her, Kent. Sometimes we feel she really does need a babysitter.” Dad gives me an eying smile as we all laugh.

A few moments later Kent’s phone rings. “Excuse me, guys, this is work. I’ll be just a minute.” He steps outside just as he answers, “Hey, Chief.”

No more than five minutes later he is returning. His face is different though. It’s not the happy Kent we saw just moments ago. He gathers his stuff together before saying, “Something’s… I have to go in to work.” His voice is low and I can hear a slight shake in it. His eyes are dancing around the floor. He gives a shy wave to mom before turning towards the door. As he is walking out he looks back at me over his shoulder. “Feel better, Spencer.”

Mom, dad, and I all exchange confused looks. What was that? He was just fine a few moments ago. “Dad, don't just stand there. Go find out what’s wrong.” He gives me a nod then darts out the door.

The meds are starting to take effect and I let out a big yawn as dad returns. His facial expressions say that something’s wrong, but all we get is, “Don’t worry about it, baby doll. Just get some rest.”