Status: Completed

Shake Me Awake

Chapter 7

“You guys did what?” Ronnie says as she takes a bite of her burger.

“Oh, you know. The usual: he cried, I fell asleep on his chest, we went for ice cream.” I don’t let my eyes meet hers until I finish the sentence. Her glare is not as gentle as usual. I really shouldn’t have waited to mention this to her. Here comes the scolding.

“How could you wait a whole four days to tell me this, Spence? I need details. Now.”

We both laugh as we realize how teenage we are being about the whole situation. I mean, it was cute. We had a good time out for ice cream that night. I fill her in on the rest of the weekend’s happenings while we finish our weekly lunch together.

On Saturday I fiddled around the apartment. Did some laundry here and there; watched a few movies. It was a very relaxing day.

Around three or so in the afternoon I decided to go sit out on our complex’s gazebo. The weather was uncharacteristically nice. Being in the middle of June it was usually unbearably humid, but that day it was just perfect.

So I took my iPod and headphones and headed out.

The gazebo faced a small playground that lay in the middle of a few of the two story buildings. I sprawled out on one of the swings and watched as a family of four played on the monkey bars. I must have been there for an hour or so before my phone rang and interrupted the music blaring through my tiny speakers.

An unknown number pulled up on my phone, but I answered it anyways. “Hello?” I tend to sound a bit too cheerful when first answering calls, or so I’ve been told.

At first I didn’t receive a response, but I was able to hear what sounded like breathing, so I knew someone was on the line. “Hello?” I asked again, this time not as cheerful as before.

My heart stopped when the harsh voice finally made itself know. “You better drop the suit.” It took only a moment for me to realize that it must have been the drunk driver that hit me a month ago.

I was not going to tolerate being bullied so I made it seem like I didn’t know who he was. “Who is this? What are you talking about?” Even though I prepared myself to sound tough, I realized that once I said it, my voice was shakier than I had anticipated.

A light, evil chuckle echoed through the phone just before the line cut off.

I removed the phone from my ear and just looked at it in shock for a moment. I couldn’t believe that he actually called this time.

I was so wrapped up on the phone call that I didn’t notice the shadow that appeared just to the right of my swing.

“Spencer, is everything okay?” I slightly jumped at the sound of Kent’s raspy voice.

“Oh, hey, Kent, yeah, everything’s fine.” I lied. There was no way I was going to tell anyone about that. Especially not Kent. The last thing I want to do is burden him with my stupid, small problems. I’m sure the guy was just trying to get us to back off. I’m sure it won’t happen again.

He eyed me up and down before walking over to the swing and sitting next to me. “You sure? You look a little worried. Who was that on the phone?” His eyes were trying to pry into my soul, or so it felt.

“Oh, no one, just a wrong number.” I was not going to put Kent through a boring replay of the previous phone call. No need, I thought.

We sat quiet for a moment. I was replaying the phone conversation in my mind. All two partial sentences worth, while he was eying me from the side.

“What are you doing out here?” His words broke me from my thoughts, yet again.

“Just relaxing; I couldn’t get past the perfect weather today, so thought I’d sit outside for a while. Maybe go for a walk in a bit.” I gave him a small smile, though I was curious as to why he was out there.

We had a great time the night before. I mean, we pretty much had a heart to heart, but I just didn’t know what to expect after that. I didn’t know whether I had just caught him at a bad time, or if he was really just messing with me about being friends, and what not.

He returned the smile as he replied, “Mind if I join you on that walk? It would be a good way to wind down after the work day I’ve just had.”

I picked up my gear and stood up from the bench. He had a curious look on his face.

I extended my left hand towards him, a smile on my face, and responded, “So tell me about this day of yours.”

***

“So you just walked around the complex? Really? And talked? For how long?” The look on her face is almost shock. I was not expecting that. Come on, Ronnie. Why is this a big deal?

“Yes. No. Well, after we walked around the complex a time or two we headed downtown and went to Bennie’s café. Sat there for a while and continued talking.” I can’t help but smile as I think back to our talks. They flowed so easily. It took no effort whatsoever for me to talk with him. We talked about anything and everything. We even elaborated more on our hospital conversations regarding our families and growing up. “It was nice. It really was.” I look down at my lap as I fiddle with my fingers some more.

“Oh my gosh. You are totally smitten with this guy. Spence, I thought you were going to lay low for a while?” The last questions sounds like she could be mad, but I know her and I know she is only looking out for me.

“What? No, we are just friends. Seriously, we have already established that. I definitely do not want a relationship right now.” I pause for moment as I think about our, well, our friend relationship, I guess. The waitress hands us our check and we gather our things to go pay up front. “It’s different, Ron. I don’t know how to explain it. It, it just is.”

After we walk out the door, she finally gives me a warming response. “Whatever you say, babe, but I have got to meet this dude again. This time I’ll remember him though. I was so out of it the night of your wreck. It was just too dang late at night.” We both laugh as she wraps her arm around mine and we head out to our cars. “I just really missed my bed.”