Status: Completed

Shake Me Awake

Chapter 9

I wake with a jump as my phone’s ring tone echoes through the living room. I hazily open my eyes while I’m reaching for my phone. 12:47 in the morning! Oh great, Kent is still here. Dang it, phone, shut up.

I carefully rise from my comfortable position as to not wake him and rush to the kitchen, answering the phone as soon as I am out of ear shot of the sleeping body on my couch.

“Hello?” I say as a yawn escapes my mouth. Silence. “Ugh, Hello?” Now I’m getting aggravated. Who calls someone at 12:47 in the morning only to NOT say anything?

“I thought I told you to drop the suit, Spencer?” My eyes widen as the angry voice speaks.

“Kale,” It’s hardly a question. I know who it is.

“You guessed right, sugar. Haven’t we been through this before?”

“I am anything but your sugar, sugar.” My voice is harsh and I am no longer focusing on keeping my voice low.

“Now, now; be a sweetheart and tell ole Daddy Chief to drop that suit, or you’re gonna have more to worry about than just that broken wrist of yours.”

“You don’t scare me, K- .”

Click.

I am so angry right now that my eyes are starting to weld up with unwanted tears. I’ll be damned if I cry because of you, Kale.

I stand motionless against the kitchen counter as I recount the events that just transpired.

His threatening texts are becoming more apparent, but this is only the second time he’s called me. It’s never more than one sentence from him. He must really be agitated. You have no idea who you’re dealing with, mister.

Moments pass as I try to calm myself down. No need in getting all riled up about it at this hour. With my head hung low, paying attention to my fiddling hands, I turn to walk back into the living room, but come face to chest with Kent.

“Spencer, who was that?” His voice is harder than I’ve heard it before. His eyes are burrowing themselves deep into my soul, probably in hopes that he could retrieve the truth out of me this time. I still have yet to tell anyone about the calls Kale has been making. He doesn’t scare me. He’s perfectly harmless, I tell myself. I can take care of myself if in fact he ever grew a pair and went through with his threats.

“Kent, I –“ What am I supposed to say? That the driver who hit me has been making threats now for over a month? How sissy would that make me if I tell him? “Just another wrong number, Kent, that’s all.” I move to the side in order to walk past him and back into the living room, but apparently that is not an option right now. He quickly moves in the same direction I do, blocking my walk way.

“Spencer, I know when you’re lying to me.” His voice is still hard, but there is a hint of concern in it, I can feel it.

“You barely know me.” I spat. Way to go, Spence. Let’s make this an argument, shall we? That is exactly what you need right now, and that’s exactly what Kent deserves for being concerned about you.

I can tell he is hurt by my statement as his face clearly shows it. “I care about you, Spencer.”

We quietly study each others face for a moment. I lower my head as I fidget some more with my hands, and try not to think about how much I want to tell him, even though it might make me seem weak.

He breaks the silence. His voice is softer now, “What are you hiding from me, Spence?” He brings a hand under my chin to lift it towards him. “Just tell me, babe.”

My face hardens just a bit as I let myself give in to his plea. “Andrew Kale has called me a few times.”

His eyes widen as he realizes who I’m talking about. “The guy that hit you?” I can only muster a slight nod as I am still fighting with myself inside on how many details I should give up. “Why has he called?”

“I don’t know.”

“Spencer, why has he called?”

I huff as I take a step back from him. “He wants me to drop the law suit. That’s all, okay?”

“How many times has he called?” He takes a step in my direction, never breaking eye contact.

Now I’m upset. This is not his business.

“What does it even mater, Kent? It’s just phone calls.” My voice is louder than I had anticipated for it to be.

“It maters a lot, Spencer. This guy should not be calling you about the suit, or at all for that matter.” His voice is also higher than I had anticipated. This is about to get heated if you don’t kill it now, Spencer.

“No it doesn’t. They’re harmless threa – calls. Harmless, uh calls.” I try to catch my words before Kent could notice, but I am unsuccessful.

“Threats? He’s been threatening you, Spencer? And you didn’t tell me? Have you at least told your father?” He keeps inching towards me as I keep inching backwards.

Great, he’s got me trapped between him and the counter.

“Kent, this is really not a big deal. Seriously, I cannot believe you are getting upset over this. Please, it’s not like the guy would go through with any of it anyways.”

Silence.

He’s stopped moving towards me and I’m not really able to read the look on his face.

His voice is low when he finally breaks the hard silence between us. “Spencer, you have no idea what kind of guy you are dealing with. He could be a psychopath for all we know.” His stare is growing intense. It’s like he’s trying to reach down into my soul again. “You can’t let this continue. Just because you think that no one would ever want to go after you for whatever crazy reason you can think of, doesn’t mean they won’t.”

No one wants to ‘attack’ a fat girl, stupid.

He takes a step back and places his hands on his hips. Thinking of what to throw at me next, I assume. “You have to tell your father. “

This puts me over the edge and I can’t help but raise my voice again. “Are you crazy, Kent? You know my father would blow this way out of proportion.”

“Don’t you think he should? I mean, he is the Chief of Police for goodness sakes. Oh, come on, Spencer.” He’s now directly in front of me again with his arms outstretched and a hold of my shoulders.

There is no way that I’m giving into you, Dude.

“If you don’t, Spencer, then I’ll have no choice but to tell him myself.”

Before I know it my left hand is throwing itself across his face.

“Don’t you dare, Kent.”

He stands in front of me with shock smeared on his face; a look of disappointment as well. He gathers himself before he speaks.

His look slowly changes from shock to hurtfulness.

“Spencer, don’t do this.” His eyes are pleading; his voice sounds weak. “Please. I know this has nothing to do with Kale. You can’t push people away just because you think you can take care of yourself, like you don’t need anyone else.”

As he speaks I break away from his hold on my shoulders and stomp into the living room. He follows suit, sill talking.

“That’s why you’re getting so upset over this. I know it. You can’t fool – “

“Get out, Kent.” I walk over to the door and hold it open for him. I meet his pleading eyes as I repeat myself; however, my voice is lower this time as I try to hold back the ready tears in my eyes. “Just get out.”