Wasted.

punch

Martie was stable and resting.

Zayn's honey brown eyes watched her through the window. He sighed softly and placed his hand on the glass gently. If he had come a few moments later, Martie would have been dead. The mere thought of that terrified him, loosing her would be too much too bear. He swallowed hard and moved his hand from the glass. Closing his eyes, Zayn saw flashes of Martie in the tub, drowning. He shook his head and opened up his eyes.

"Hey," Liam greeted as he walked up and looked in through the window. He bit down on his cheek and looked away. Seeing Martie hooked up to a breathing machine and IV's was scarier than he could have ever imagined. When he looked back at Zayn, he could see the worry and exhaustion on his face and the way he stood. They had brought Martie in nearly five hours ago and Zayn hadn't left her side once. "You should go home and get some rest. We can take turns staying with her."

"I can't," Zayn replied, shaking his head slightly. "Not until I know she's okay."

"But she is okay," Liam assured him, clapping him on the shoulder. "Everything's fine. You saved her life."

Zayn turned to look at Liam. "I guess."

"Trust me," Liam said gently and reached for his car keys. He unhooked them from his belt loop and handed it over to Zayn. "Go home."

Taking the keys, Zayn nodded his head and looked back at Martie one last time. He smiled softly and looked back at Liam, waving goodbye. As he started walking down the hallway, Zayn began to wonder why Martie's husband never showed up. He hadn't called her phone, he hadn't texted her, it was like he didn't even care. It was already nine o'clock at night. He had to have been home by now, he had to have noticed the bathroom was a complete mess.

Just as Zayn got out of the ICU, he entered the lobby. His eyes fell onto Harry, Niall, and Louis as they chatted quietly in the corner of the room. They noticed him coming out from the double doors and got up to see what was going on. As they came over, Zayn rubbed the back of his neck and explained that she was stable and that Liam was going to stay with her for a little while.

"Are you going to go home?" Harry asked.

"Yeah, eat, take a shower, and come back," Zayn answered with a nod.

"No, get some sleep. Come back first thing tomorrow," Niall suggested, but Zayn scrunched up his nose. He didn't like the idea one bit, he wanted to talk to Martie. Until he could talk to her, he wouldn't believe she was okay. Sure she was still breathing, but that didn't mean much at all. "It's been a long day, it would be for the best."

"I need to talk to her," Zayn said simply. "I want to know what the hell she was thinking." He was bitter and angry.

"You being mad at her is not what she needs, Zayn," Louis scolded. "She needs you to be her friend."

"I know, I know," Zayn huffed with a nod. "I just don't get it. What was she thinking?" He ran his fingers through his hair and groaned. Plopping down into one of the chairs, he pinched the bridge of his nose and shook his head. If he had lost Martie, he'd go crazy. There was something about her that made him happy and only she could bring upon that happiness.

There was a commotion up at the front desk and all four boys turned their attention towards it. Zayn narrowed his eyes and gasped upon seeing Martie's husband, Thomas, snapping at the nurse. Getting up from his seat, Zayn started walking over. Harry tried to stop him, but he just brushed past him.

"What the hell did she do? That stupid girl," Thomas huffed, shaking his head and scowled bitterly.

Zayn's fist was clenched tightly at his side and his eyes narrowed darkly. Thomas was a monster, Martie had tried to kill herself because of him. There was no way that Zayn would ever let him get near her again. He was standing behind Thomas and tapped his shoulder.

"Wha--"

Zayn punched him square in the jaw, causing Thomas to topple over and land on the ground with a loud thud. Kneeling down, Zayn grabbed Thomas's shirt collar and jerked him forth. He lifted his fist, preparing to attack again, but they were pulled apart quickly.

"Zayn! Stop it!" Harry and Louis pulled Zayn back while Niall and the nurse looked at Thomas's bloodied lip. "Back off, man!" Harry growled, shoving Zayn back.

"She almost died because of you! Don't you dare speak ill of her!" Zayn snapped at Thomas, trying to get at him again, but Louis and Harry kept him back. "You're a monster! Beating her every fucking day! How dare you come in here and blame her for this!" Zayn barked, completely enraged and only seeing red. If it weren't for the boys and the nurse, Zayn would have pummeled him into the ground.

"Zayn," Louis tried to calm his friend down, but it was futile.

"You don't even love her," Zayn growled darkly. "Why are you doing this to her?" he questioned, his words cold and laced in venom.

Thomas simply stared at Zayn, unable to bring himself to say anything at all. He looked down at his hand that was covered with his blood. Shaking his head, Thomas spat some blood onto the linoleum floor and stood up.

"She always went crawling to you," Thomas stated simply as he dusted himself off. "You can have her, I'm threw with her shit."

Zayn lunged at him, but Harry and Louis pushed him back.

"Get out of here, Thomas," Niall commanded harshly, shoving the man in the direction of the main entrance. thomas glared at the blond irishman and snorted, running his fingers through his black tresses.

"You tell her I'll sign those damn divorce papers," Thomas grunted as he walked on.

Zayn watched him go and shook his head. He never deserved Martie, she was way too good for him. She was a beautiful young woman, who deserved to be loved right and kissed every minute of everyday.

And Zayn would be sure that would happen.