My Twisted Teenage Romance

Chapter 18

''So what is it that you do that took you all the way to Paris?'' Jenny asked as we ate.

''I'm a designer and Shane's an architect. He was going to Paris for a conference anyway and I wanted to get a feel for French fashion, so we decided to make a sort of vacation out of it.'' Celina explained and Jenny nodded as she spoke.

As we finished eating, Jacob started to glance anxiously at the clock, as if he was waiting for it to explode or something.

''What are you waiting for?'' I asked quietly and he looked at me like I had pulled him off a train of thought.

''We're leaving soon.'' he said and I furrowed my eyebrows at him.

''Don't worry about it.'' he said, reading my questioning look and I nodded.

''Excuse me for a minute.'' I said as I finished eating.

I got up and went to the washroom to wash my hands.

''Why are you looking at the clock so much Jake?'' I heard Andrew ask as I left.

''We're going soon.'' Jacob answered. Even though Jacob had just told me what the plan was, I wanted to know how his family would react so I stood just outside of the doorway.

''Oh that's nice where are you going?'' Celina asked and I was relived that she wasn't mad that we were leaving.

''The cliff.'' Jacob answered and the whole room went silent. I chanced a look into the dining room and everyone –except Jenny- was looking at Jacob like he had just confessed to killing his grandmother.

''Jacob can I talk to you for a minute?'' Andrew asked after glancing quickly at Jenny and Jacob rolled his eyes.

They both got up and were headed in my direction and I ran for the bathroom that was a few feet down the hall. I went in and closed the door. It sounded like the boys went back into the living room, but I could still hear them talking.

''The cliff Jake?'' Andrew asked.

''Yea, why not?'' Jacob replied.

''The comet shower's tonight.'' Andrew said.

''So?'' Jacob asked.

''Why are you being such an idiot Jacob? You can't take her there when that's happening!'' Andrew said, sounding like he wanted to yell but didn't want to be overheard.

''Why not? She went to the last one! It was fine.'' Jacob told him.

I was so lost, why didn't Andrew want me there?

''That was just the shower, tonight's the first part of the orbit! It's not the same!'' Andrew said, his voice quivering.

''I'll be fine!'' Jacob defended.

''You say that now Jacob! But what do you think she's going to say when you start snapping at her neck? You're underestimating it Jacob!'' Andrew seethed.

''I won't! I wouldn't hurt her Andrew!''

''I know you wouldn't Jacob! But you could!''

''You took Holly! You didn't hurt her!'' Jacob said.

''That's totally different! She can fight back! Nikki can't!'' Andrew said and I was a little hurt.

First of all, I didn't know what they were talking about as far as hurting me went, and second, what kind of frail little creature did Andrew think I was? I can take care of myself just fine.

''Nothing is going to happen Andrew.'' Jacob defended.

''You say that now.'' Andrew muttered, but still loud enough that I could hear from my hiding place.

''Why won't you just let me live how I want?'' Jacob said and I could imagine him throwing his arms in the air in frustration.

''Yea, cause living is so easy for us.'' Andrew said. The way he said 'living' made me think I was missing something. I was seriously starting to think that this family was running from the law.

''Just leave it alone, let us go. I can't hurt her.'' Jacob said, sincerity colouring the last part of his sentence.

''Do what you want Jake. Just remember it's not just you at risk here.'' Andrew said and that was the final word.

I quickly washed my hands and then headed back to the dining room. All the dinnerware had been cleared from the table and idle conversation carried throughout the room.

I got back to my seat just before Jacob and Andrew re-entered the room. Jacob put a hand lightly on my shoulder and I looked up at him.

''Ready to go?'' he asked and I nodded.

''We'd better get going before it gets too late.'' Jacob said to the rest of the room as I stood.

''It was a pleasure to meet you Mr. And Mrs. Michaels.'' I said and they smiled warmly.

''It was lovely to meet you too Nikki. Do come again soon.'' Celina said and I smiled and nodded.

''Bye everyone.'' Jacob said and everyone returned their farewells as he and I left the dining room.

As we walked out to Jacob's car he took my hand. It was almost dark and I could sense how badly he wanted to get to the cliff, although he'd never let it show on his calm face.

''So you're still standing.'' he said as we walked and I didn't' quite follow.

''I told you my parents would love you.'' he said and I clued in.

''You probably told them to be nice.'' I said playfully and a charming smile played across his lips.

''You did?'' I asked, smacking his arm and he laughed.

''I might have mentioned how nervous you were.'' he said as he unlocked his car.

''I just hope they're not mad that we left.'' I said, getting in.

''They're not.'' he assured me.

''Andrew sounded upset.'' I said as casually as possible. For a brief second, Jacob looked worried that I had overheard their argument, but it vanished as he spoke.

''He just didn't want me to leave on the first night our parents were back.'' he lied.

I knew Jacob was lying, but I also knew that he wouldn't lie to me unless it was for a good reason. At least I hoped that was the case.

As we drove to the cliff, the argument Andrew and Jacob had had earlier ran in dizzying circles around my head. I wished that Jacob's lie made sense, but what Andrew had said about me not being able to defend myself made what Jacob had said about why Andrew was mad so far from what it could have been.

I wished I could just ask him, ask what they were arguing about. I felt I deserved to know, I mean, clearly the argument was about me, but I didn't want Jacob to know that I had eavesdropped on their conversation.

''So what do you think?'' Jacob suddenly asked as we drove.

''Of your parents? Or leaving halfway through the night?'' I asked playfully and he smiled.

''My parents.'' he chuckled.

''Your parents are so -what's the word?- perfect?'' I suggested and he grinned.

''I mean- I don't know what I mean.'' I said and we both laughed.

''It's ok.'' Jacob said, kissing the back of my hand. I blushed as he removed his lips from my skin, I couldn't help it, it was what he did to me.

It was pitch dark by the time that we got to the cliff, the only light coming from Jacob's headlights. We pulled off the road onto the grass and Jacob parked.

''Just in time.'' he said, glancing at the clock and then undoing his seatbelt.

He got out of the car and then slid up onto the hood. I stood at the front of the car and folded my arms. I didn't have the grace or coordination to get up on the car like he did. He smirked and then held his hand out to me, helping me up.

He leaned back against the windshield and I followed suit, moving right against him. He took my hand and started to play absently with my fingers. I watched what he was doing with my hand until a streak of light across the sky caught my attention. I looked up and the comet shower had started. Thousands of little lights flew across the sky and I was completely mesmerized.

Even thought there was a beautiful natural light display taking place above us, I could feel Jacob's eyes on me. I was starting to get used to the fact that he would rather look at me than anything else, but even so, it was flattering all the same, even if I didn't know the reason he did it.

Ten minutes of lights later and I could still feel Jacob looking at me.

''Are you ever going to tell me why you do that?'' I asked, not able to look away from the sky.

''You wouldn't believe me if I told you.'' he said and I turned to look at his face. He looked just as perfect as ever. His flawless features made me want to trace the contours of his face, but somehow, this didn't feel like the time or place.

''Try me.'' I said and he smirked.

''It's starting.'' he said, changing the topic and totally confusing me.

''Yea it's been going for about ten minutes now.'' I said, figuring that he was talking about the comet shower.

''Not the shower,'' he said and I was a little confused.

''Remember last time we were here, I told you about how one of the comets would be pulled into orbit of the earth, that's what's starting.'' he explained and I nodded.

I looked back up at the sky and among the many lights flying across the sky, there was one dot with a reddish tinge moving at a snails pace across the sky. That must have been the one. All the others seemed to almost go around it as they whizzed by. I watched the comet crawl slowly across the sky as Jacob continued to play with my fingers.

An hour later, the slow comet suddenly veered off it's current course. It took a sharp turn down and then continued, faster now, across the sky.

''It changed.'' I told Jacob.

''It's almost ov-er.'' he said, his voice breaking on the last word. I had never heard Jacob's voice break like that.

''Are you alright?'' I asked, turning to him. He was looking down and I couldn't see his eyes, although his face looked paler than usual and he seemed very uncomfortable.

''Fine.'' he said, his voice strained. I didn't believe him though; I'd never seen him like this.

He let go of my hand and then ever so subtly moved away from me. At that I knew there was definitely something wrong.

''Are you sure?'' I asked, trying to see his eyes.

''I'm fine.'' he snapped, his eyes shooting up to meet mine and I jumped slightly. At first his eyes were strained like his voice had been, but when I jumped his look immediately softened. I'd never seen him angry other than in the dream that I'd had, his disposition was always calm and in control.

''I'm sorry, I'm just not feeling well.'' Jacob said, his tone filled with remorse.

''It's ok, we all get sick.'' I said, reaching to brush his cheek with my fingers but he moved away from my hand.

''I think I have a fever, I'm all sweaty.'' he said although I couldn't see one bead of sweat on his face. He did look sick though, he was pale and it was as if he couldn't look at me for too long. I was starting to worry.

''We should go.'' he said, sitting up.

He slid off the hood and then held out his hand for me. I took his hand and he helped me down, but let go of my hand as soon as I was off the car.

We got in the car and Jacob backed off the grass out onto the road. I suddenly started to wonder if I had done something to upset him, but what could I have done? Maybe he had realized that I had been listening to him and Andrew, but wouldn't he have realized earlier when we were talking about it?

I was so confused. I didn't know whether Jacob was really sick or if I had done something to upset him. I prayed it wasn't the latter. I looked out the window and out of the corner of my eye I could see the side mirror. In it I could see Jacob's perfect face glowing with the light of the gages on the dashboard.

He was silent the entire way to my house and he kept both of his hands firmly on the steering wheel.

When we pulled into my driveway Jacob put the car in park and then turned to me.

''I'm sorry about this, it's not you, I'm just not feeling well.'' he said, almost as if he had hear the questions I'd been asking myself.

''It's alright, everyone gets sick Jacob. You make it sound like you think you're indestructible or something.'' I said with a smile and he returned it.

As he stared into my eyes I noticed something. Jacob's eyes seemed darker than they had earlier. It was a subtle change, only someone who stared like I did would notice. I continued to stare and I confirmed it, Jacob's eyes were definitely darker, save for a small spot that seemed lighter than the rest.

''Goodnight Nikki.'' Jacob said, leaning towards me.

''Goodnight Jacob.'' I said and he pushed his lips against mine for a brief second, sending a fresh wave of butterflies into my stomach.

I pulled on the door handle and it was locked. He smirked at me, clearly he wasn't that sick.

The locks clicked and I opened the door. I walked up to the top of my driveway and watched as Jacob pulled out of my driveway and then drove off down the street.

I went into my house and my parents were sitting in the living room watching –more like falling asleep to- the news. It was eleven-thirty. I walked over to my mom and shook her gently.

''Come on mom, I'm home you can go to bed.'' I said and she sat up tiredly.

''How did it go?'' she asked sleepily.

''They loved me, at least that's what Jacob tells me.'' I said.

''That's good dear. Come on Tyler, get up.'' my mom said, smacking my dads foot and he awoke with a start.

I followed my parents up the stairs, shutting off the lights and TV for them. I went into my room and turned on my bedside lamp, the big light felt too bright. I walked over to my dresser and grabbed a pair of pyjamas. Out of the corner of my eye, I noticed a light outside my window.

I stepped back to get a better look and realized it was a light in Jenny's house that was on. I went to my window. I didn't remember being able to see into any rooms in Jenny's house from my window. My blinds were turned so that I could see out but no one could see in. I looked in the lit window across from me and realized it was Michael's room that I could see.

From my window I could see down the middle of his room to his closet and part of his bed. At first I didn't see anyone in his room, but then a shirtless Michael came into view. I was going to wave to him, I hadn't really seen or talked to him since he had been back at school, but I let my hand fall when I saw he was talking to someone.

If it was Jenny, I didn't want her to think that I was watching her brother get changed, and if it was either of his parents, I didn't want them to think that either. Someone with better judgement than me would have left and went back to putting their pyjamas on, but curiosity had then tendency to get the better of me.

Michael was smiling now, I'd never noticed just how nice his smile was, but it had nothing on Jacob's. He laughed and then gestured for whoever was in his room to come to him with his hand. I saw him mouth 'I dare you' and then out of nowhere, a blonde girl ran into view and tackled him causing him to fall back on his bed.

At first I wondered if Jenny had family over that she hadn't told me about, but that thought was obliterated when the blonde girl attached her lips to his. She straddled his hips and her hands flew to his belt. I snapped my blinds the rest of the way closed so that I couldn't see out anymore. Watching Michael get it on with this girl was not on my to do list.

I went back to getting changed and laughed a little to myself. The next time I saw Michael, I would be sure to give him the teasing of a lifetime. The picture of her on top of him flashed back into my mind and I shuddered a bit at the thought of what they were probably doing now. The thought of them left an inexplicable stinging feeling in my chest but I ignored it.

I finished getting changed, went to the bathroom, washed my face and brushed my teeth, and then went back into my room and flopped down on my bed, being careful not to glance anywhere near my window.

I stared up at my ceiling and let my thoughts wander. I finally landed on whether or not Jenny knew about Michael and this girl. I grabbed my phone off of my nightstand and opened a new message.

'I dare you to go into your brother's room.' I typed and then sent it to Jenny.

Five minutes later she replied.

'You're sick.' she said and I burst out laughing.

I put my phone back on my nightstand and continued to explore my thoughts.

Something about Jacob had seemed different tonight. Maybe it was because I had never pictured him being anything other than the calm, collected, and totally in control Jacob that I had come to know and seeing him sick was something I'd never expected.

The way his eyes seemed to change tonight, made me wonder. They were no less loving than usual, but now there appeared to be another emotion that I couldn't decipher. Whatever it was, it seemed to make Jacob almost distant, like he was afraid to be close to me.

I decided to lock these pesky thoughts away like I did with all my other questions about Jacob's somewhat mysterious ways, otherwise there would be no way I was going to get to sleep tonight.

Instead I concentrated on learning the alphabet backwards and soon found my way to sleep.