My Twisted Teenage Romance

Chapter 7

Five days later I was cleaning my room and listening to music as loud as my speakers would go without breaking. I had bumped into Jacob twice over the past few days, once at The Spot and once at Pins and Needles when I was getting Jason's birthday present.

After what had happened on Sunday, Jacob had called me and told me that he was going to take my car in to his mechanic to get it fixed because he felt bad about almost killing me. Today he was supposed to be bringing it back to my house. I was up in my room, trying to forget that he was coming so that when he did arrive, I could be very nonchalant about it, but I had no such luck. I kept looking at my clock every two minutes and poking my head through the curtains almost every time I passed it. It would be almost impossible to hide my butterflies once he actually got here if I was like this now.
I changed the song to 'Love in the Attic' by Cauterize and went back to singing and dancing carelessly as I cleaned my room.

''Tie me up, show me love, just let me have it.'' I sang as I tossed a shirt into my hamper.

''That could be arranged.'' someone shouted over the music from behind me, making me jump and stub my toe on my bed, sending a wave of pain up my leg.

''SHIT!'' I cursed as I fell back onto my bed and pushed on my toe to make sure it wasn’t broken. I suddenly snapped my head up to find the source of the voice.

''Jacob! Hi!'' I said, putting my floor, jumping up and shutting off my radio.

''Hey Nikki, I didn't mean to scare you, your mom let me up.'' he said, still standing awkwardly in the doorway.

''No no, that's ok. I just wasn't exactly expecting you to show up at my bedroom door.'' I said with a smile. He looked a bit relieved and his posture relaxed.

''So I brought your car, it drives like a dream now.'' Jacob said, jingling my keys and then tossing them to me.

Thanks a lot, I hate having to tow around with Jason all the time.'' I said, laughing a bit.

''Yea, it was no problem, Sage loves working on cars.'' he said.

''So Sage is your mystery mechanic'' I grinned. Earlier in the week, Jacob had refused to tell me where he took my car.

Don't you hate it when you're talking to someone and your conversation has perfect flow, and then out of nowhere come an awkward silence? It's a hundred times worse when the person you're talking to is absolutely gorgeous and standing in your bedroom. For the life of me I could not think of anything to say to him, instead, I looked everywhere but at him.

''So uh d'you have any plans tonight?'' Jacob asked, finally breaking the silence. I was ready for him to say anything, except that. Was he asking me out?

''Well, Peter invited me to the movies with him and a few people, but I probably won't go. It'll probably be he usual crowd, Brian, Greg, Tim, those people.'' I said casually. He shifted on his spot so that he was leaning against the doorframe, looking very relaxed now.

''Actually, I'm going to the movies with them tonight, my mom says I have to be nice. Andrew and Sage have other plans, so they got out of it.'' Jacob said and I could almost hear the halleluiah chorus.
Tonight I had the chance to sit in a dark theatre with Jacob, watching some horror movie that would pave the way for me to hold onto him all night. I never got absolutely terrified at movies, but I was the jumpiest person I knew.

''Really? I might just come then.'' I said with a grin, not wanting to let him know just how excited I was now.
Might was the wrong word, positively, absolutely, hell yea I'll be there, were more accurate.

''Thank god, I thought I'd be stuck with them alone all night.'' Jacob said, sounding very relieved.

''Ashley and Tanya must just love you.'' I said with a grin and he stuck his tongue out at me.

''I'm gonna call Peter, to let him know I'm coming.'' I said, looking for my phone.

''Do you want me to go?'' Jacob asked, standing up a little straighter.

''No, it's alright, you can stay if you want. I'll only be a minute.'' I said as I found my phone.

''You can come in you know, I don’t bite.'' I teased. He smiled, walked a little further into my room and leaned against the wall.

I flipped open my phone and searched the call history for Peter's number, he'd called a million times. When I found it, I hit talk and put the phone to my ear, it immediately started to ring.
Jacob was looking around my room and I quickly became aware that one of my bras was hanging from my closet door. I ran to my closet, grabbed my bra and threw it inside. Jacob started to laugh.

''Shut up.'' I whispered and he grinned devilishly at me.

''Hello?'' Peter's voice came from the phone.

''Hi Pete.r'' I said

''Nikki?'' he asked. He probably couldn’t believe that I was calling him.

''Yea, about the movies tonight, it turns out I can go. My parents cancelled their dinner plans.'' I said and Jacob rolled his eyes, he knew it was only my excuse; I stuck my tongue out at him.

''Really? That's great! Do you need a ride?'' he asked anxiously.

''No, its ok, I got my car back today.'' I said.

''Oh, are you sure you want to risk it?'' he asked again, sounding slightly dejected.

''Yea, I trust my mechanic.'' I said with a grin and Jacob smiled and shook his head.

''Alright then, I'll see you at eight?'' he said.

''Eight it is.'' I said.

''Bye.''

''Bye.'' I said and I hung up.

''Dinner plans eh? What a weak excuse.'' Jacob said, shaking his head.

''Hey, he fell for it.'' I said, smiling angelically.

''So I take it you're going to drive yourself there?'' Jacob said.

''Yea, why?'' I asked.

''Nothing I just don't like having to wander around by myself at the theatre trying to find everyone'' he said almost too casually.

''HELL yes I'll drive with you!'' I thought, but I couldn't jump to any conclusions.

''Aw, does wittle Jacob want somewon to wide wif him?'' I teased in a baby voice.

''That depends.'' he said, folding his arms.

''On?''

''Dows wittle Nikki want to dwive wif him?'' he mocked but my heart leapt at the same time.

''YES YES YES YES!'' I screamed in my head. He grinned almost as if he had heard me, but I quickly realized that my expression was giving me away.

''Sure, I guess I can go with you.'' I said with a one sided grin.

''I'll pick you up at 7:45?'' he said, walking towards the door and I followed.

''Sounds good.'' I said as we walked down the stairs.

We got to the door and he opened it to leave, but then turned back to me.

''Could you try not to be covered in mud this time? I just had my seats cleaned.'' he said with a grin and I laughed.

'I'll try.'' I laughed.

''See ya.'' he said as he stepped out the door.

''Bye.'' I said, closing it behind him.

''He seems nice.'' my mom piped up from the living room and I prayed she hadn’t heard the whole conversation.

''Yea, he is.'' I said, hurrying to the stairs.

''Are you going out with him later?'' she asked, stopping me halfway up the stairs.

''I'm going to the movies with a few people.'' I said, trying to continue up the stairs.

''A few people?'' she repeated and I knew I would have to be quick if I was ever going to get back up to my room.

''Peter, Brian, Tim, a few people.'' I said and then ran up the stairs, not wanting to answer anymore questions.

I got into my room and looked at the clock, it was only six I had plenty of time. I would shower get dressed and be ready by the time Jacob pulled in the driveway. I went to my closet and pulled out an outfit I'd kept clean for such an occasion, it was a cute outfit I'd only worn once or twice. I grabbed two towels and went to the bathroom. I hurried to wash my hair and body, then ran out of the bathroom and started to look for my blow drier. I looked in all the usual places, under the bathroom counter, my dresser, my closet, but I absolutely could not find it. I went to my dresser and looked in the mirror at my tangled hair; I had just let it down from the towel. I started to run a brush through it as I continued to search for my blow drier. Just as I had bent down to check under my bed, it hit me; Jenny had borrowed it on Wednesday after hers had broken and apparently had forgotten to give it back.

I went to my bed and grabbed my phone, then dialled Jenny's number. She picked up after two rings and it sounded like I had interrupted something good.

''Hello!'' she said quickly.

''Hey Jenny! Do you still have my blow drier?'' I asked. I was positive she did, but it was only polite to ask.

''Hm? Uh- no I uh- dropped it off yesterday afternoon, your mom said she'd give it back.'' Jenny said, sounding distracted.

''Oh, thanks anyways.'' I said.

''No problem, I'll talk to you soon bye.'' she said and hung up.

''Bye.'' I said as I closed my phone.

I put on my robe and bolted down the stairs to find my mom who was sitting out on the back porch. She was on the phone and when she saw me she held up her hand for me to wait.

''But it's important.'' I whined and she gave me an angry look while putting her finger to her lips.

''Mom!'' I whispered.

''Hold on Maggie- Do you mind I'm on the phone.'' she said with her hand over the mike.

''Mom, where is my blow drier! It's important!'' I said with what I thought to be urgency in my voice.

''Oh, yea, Jenny dropped it off, it's on my dresser.'' she said and I mentally slapped myself in the head, that was the one place I didn't check.

''Thank you!'' I said as I made a beeline to my mom's bedroom.

I had wasted a good twenty minutes looking for my drier and was suddenly doing everything as fast as I could while still being careful. I took two giant steps into my mom's room, grabbed the drier and ran back out. By the time I got back to my room, my hair had a few stray tangles in it, which I quickly brushed out and then started with the blow drier.

As I started on the right side of my hair, I started to glance nervously on the clock, which seemed to be going a lot faster than normal. After my hair was done I grabbed my 'going out' outfit and put it on, only to realize that I had forgotten to do my makeup. I looked at the clock, 7:20, I could do it. I grabbed my eyeliner and rushed to the mirror. It's always a pain to get the eyeliner wings on the side of your eyes just perfect, so naturally now, when I was running insanely late, it wasn't going any better. I wiped one off at least three times before I decided it was decent, then started on the other.

I started the bottom eyeliner on my other eye when I saw headlights flash and heard a car pull into the driveway. I almost poked myself in the eye as I looked at the clock, it was only 7:35, the stupid bugger was early. I had one and a half eyes done, I couldn't answer the door like this.

''MOM! CAN YOU GET THAT!'' I called from the top of the stairs. I got no answer from my mom and heard a knock at the door.

''MOM! DOOR!'' I yelled but still no answer, she was probably still out back on the phone.

''Shit!'' I cursed as I debated whether to leave him standing outside the door while I finished my makeup, or go down with half an eye done and look like a fool.

Then I had a stroke of genius. I went to my bed and got my phone, I dialled the house and waited for my mom to answer.

''Hello?'' she said.

''MOM! GO ANSWER THE DOOR!'' I said urgently.

''Nikki? Where are you calling from?'' she asked

''MY ROOM! ANSWER THE DOOR!'' I said again.

''Alright hold your horses.'' she said and I heard the backdoor open.

''Thank you.'' I said and closed my phone.

I stood in my doorway and listened to my mom open the front door. Once I was sure she had actually let him in, I went back to my mirror and finished my makeup.

''So you're Peter's cousin?'' I heard my mom say as I came down the stairs.

''Second cousin.'' Jacob corrected her.

''Hm, and how come we've never seen you around if you've lived here all this time?'' she asked and I slapped myself for even letting her in the same room as him.

''Cause they live on the most remote corner of town. Hi Jacob.'' I said, stepping into the living room.

''Hi Nikki.'' he laughed.

''So you're driving with him?'' my mom asked, starting to sound like my dad, speaking of whom I was suddenly grateful he wasn't here.

''Yes mom, and if we don’t leave right now we're going to miss the movie.'' I said, hinting to Jacob that we had to get out of there.

''It was nice to meet you Mrs. Jordon.'' Jacob said as he stood up.

''Yes yes it's all very nice. I'll see you later mom.'' I said, dragging Jacob out of my house. I let go of the arm I had taken hostage when we got to his car.

''Hi.'' he said, looking down at me.

''Hi.'' I laughed.

''You look nice.'' he said, sounding completely sure of him self.

''Thank you.'' I said, trying silently to figure out if there was a deeper meaning to his compliment. He was too sure of him self sometimes and it was almost maddening.

''We should go.'' he said as the two of us stood at the front of his car.

''Good idea.'' I laughed.

I went around to the passenger's door and got in, his car looked brand new again. He got in and started the car. Out of reflex I reached for the radio but then quickly pulled my hand back when I remembered where I was.

''Go ahead.'' he said and I smiled then reached back to the radio. I put the radio on and turned it down low when a question suddenly popped into my head.

''What were you and my mom talking about?'' I asked and Jacob grinned.

''She asked the usual, 'Where are you going?' 'What time are you going to be back?' 'Who are you?' And the obvious 'What kind of teenage delinquent are you?' flashed across her face when I walked in, even though she never said anything.'' he said, smiling when he said the last part.

''Yea, my mom isn't exactly the most encouraging when it comes to 'standing out' '' I explained. My mom had nearly had a stroke when I got my lip pierced, and I could only imagine and laugh at her reaction to Jacob, in all his snakebite glory, standing at the front door.

''My mom would like us to try to blend it, but since when do teenagers actually listen to their parents.'' he said, a rebellious look crossing his face.

''Prime example.'' I said, pointing to my lip ring.

''Here we are.'' Jacob said as we pulled into the theatre parking lot.

We pulled into a space relatively close to the theatre. As he shut off the car, I looked around to see if I could spot Peter and his friends. They were standing just outside the theatre doors, it looked like Brian, Tim, Ashley, and Tanya were already there, with the additions of a few people I didn't know but had seen at the party the other night.

''You ready?'' Jacob asked as he undid his seat belt. I nodded and undid my own belt.

We got out of the car and walked slowly across the parking lot to where everyone was standing. Tanya and Ashley caught sight of us and started to wave, I assumed only to Jacob. Peter turned around and also started to wave.

''You know we could turn around now and make a run for the car.'' Jacob said as Peter, Tanya and Ashley started walking towards us.

''It's too late, they've seen us, and besides you've got me, how bad could this be?'' I asked as the gap between us and the oncoming group closed.

''Nikki! I'm so glad you came.'' Peter said, catching me off guard with a bear hug.

''Hi Peter.'' I said, muffled by his chest, where he was still holding me.

He finally let go and I turned to see Jacob standing awkwardly in front of Ashley and Tanya who were absolutely radiating their attempts at flirting with him.

''So have you seen this movie yet?'' Tanya asked, sounding desperate to strike up a conversation with him.

''Twice.'' Jacob said flatly and I laughed quietly.

''Oh.'' Tanya said, looking put off.

''I'm kidding.'' he said and both girls started laughing hysterically. Jacob rolled his eyes at me and I laughed at him.

''We should get our tickets now, it'll be hard to find seats with nine people.'' Peter said.

''Good idea.'' Ashley said, linking arms with Tanya and walking back towards the theatre doors.

''Jacob.'' Peter said with a nod to his second cousin.

''Peter.'' Jacob said, nodding as well.

Peter, Jacob and I walked into the theatre and got inline at the ticket counter. Peter moved up to stand with his other friends, leaving Jacob and I about three people back.

''I think they like you.'' I said when Ashley turned around and winked at Jacob, then turned back around to Tanya and started to giggle like she was insane.

''Don't remind me.'' he groaned and I laughed.

''What? Not your type?'' I asked playfully and he smiled.

''Not in any way, shape or form.'' Jacob said and I grinned.

''Can I help who's next?'' the woman at the ticket counter said and I stepped up before Jacob could.

''Two for the same movie as them.'' I said, nodding towards Peter and friends.

''Two?'' Jacob questioned as I handed her the money.

''Yes two, one for you and one for me. It's the least I can do after all the things you've done for me.'' I said and Jacob shook his head.

''The girl isn't supposed to pay for the guy, it's supposed to be the other way around.'' he said as the woman handed me our tickets.

''Yea? And the guy isn't supposed to almost run over the girl, so we're even.'' I said, pushing his ticket into his hand.

We went into the theatre and found a row with enough seats to fit all nine of us. Jacob quickly took the end seat and pulled me down next to him. At first I didn't know why, but when I saw the disappointed look on Ashley's face, I couldn't help but grin as she sat down on my other side.
The lights went down a bit and the first preview started to roll.

''Guys, I have to pee! Ash come with?'' Tanya said as she stood up. Ashley tapped the girl next to her, whispered something and the two also stood up.

''Nikki, do you wanna come?'' the third girl asked as she passed in front of me. I was surprised she even knew my name.

''No thanks, I'm alright.'' I said. She smiled and followed the other girls out.

After the girls were out of the theatre, Jacob got up and I looked at him questioningly.

''You bought the tickets, I'll get the popcorn.'' he said, sounding almost proud that he had found a way to still pay for something.

''Fine then, just leave me here. Go on, shoo.'' I said as Jacob walked down the aisle and out the door.

I slumped back in my chair and watched the first of the previews, there didn’t look to be anything good coming out, but then again, there never was, I didn't even know what movie we were seeing tonight, only that it was a horror.
The three girls returned from the bathroom and took their seats. Not too long after, Jacob returned, carrying in one hand what looked top be a large popcorn and I was positive that the drink in the other hand was not a regular.

''Jeeze Jacob, enough popcorn?'' I asked as he set it in my lap.

''Hey, I get hungry'.' he said with a grin as he sat down.

''Yea, and if the movie's bad, we can always throw it at the people down front.'' I said, throwing a piece of popcorn at him.

''Or the people on your left.'' he said with a grin, gesturing towards Ashley.

He was trying to put the enormous cup into the cup holder between us, when he finally managed to squeeze it in he smiled triumphantly at me.

''Only one cup?'' I asked, one eyebrow raised.

''And two straws. I didn't know if you would have any.'' he said, handing me a straw.

''Why? What horrible concoction did you get?'' I asked, poking my straw through the top of the cup and then taking a sip, it was sprite.

''It's not horrible, I just didn't know what you liked.'' he said, poking his own straw through.

''Well you made a good guess.'' I said with a smile.

''Shh! Guys it's starting!'' Tanya, half squealed, half whispered.

Jacob looked at me, making the ugliest excited face I had ever seen, and I almost choked on the popcorn I had in my mouth.

''Shh Nikki, the movie's starting.'' he whispered and I threw a piece of popcorn at him.

''Shut up.'' I whispered and he laughed.

The lights went completely off and the movie started. It started off dark and mysterious, like most horror movies do, while the names of the writer, director and guy who does the music floated across the bottom of the screen. Half of what we were seeing was a couple sitting under a tree, having a picnic and laughing, but the other half was from the killer's point of view, he was watching them from a nearby bush while he breathed heavily. This movie was way too predictable.
I took a sip of the sprite and then shoved some popcorn in my mouth, this looked like it was going o be a long, boring, movie.

Jacob reached over and took some popcorn from the bag, which was still sitting on my lap. I looked at him and he smiled, then made to put his popcorn in his mouth. I grabbed a piece of popcorn and threw it at him, hitting him an inch from his open mouth, he didn’t even flinch, instead he threw one back at me, starting a war.

The first fifteen minutes of the movie we spent throwing popcorn, until one flew over my shoulder and hit a very easily scared Ashley in the cheek. When she turned around Jacob pointed at me and she glared at me. When she turned back to the screen I smacked him and he grinned. I turned back to the screen and started to pay relative attention to the movie.
I had been right, it was too predictable, one innocent girl being chased by a serial killer who is ravaging a neighbourhood. No matter how boring the story line was for the movie, almost every scene at least four things jumped out, whether it was the killer or a neighbourhood cat, it still made me jump.

''Nikki if you keep drinking like that, there's not going to be any left for me..'' Jacob whispered.
In an attempt to keep from jumping every five seconds, I had been drinking excessively and almost half the drink was gone, and considering the size, that was a lot.

''I didn't think you would be the type to get scared so easily.'' he added with a grin.

''I'm not-AH!'' I screamed and grabbed Jacob's hand. The killer had come out of nowhere and started to bludgeon the girl's father with a steel baseball bat.

''Oh yea, your definitely not scared.'' he mocked, patting my hand playfully. I stuck my tongue out at him but made no movement to remove my hand from his.

I continued to drink excessively, and about halfway through the movie, I had to go so bad I though I might burst. I started to get up and to my surprise, Jacob held my hand a little tighter.

''What's the matter? Gonna chicken out this far in?'' he said with a grin.

''No, I have to pee!'' I whispered and he quickly loosened the tight hold he had taken on my hand.

''I'll be right back.'' I said and then hurried down the aisle to the door.

I hurried out to the main lobby where there was a hallway to the washrooms. I bolted down the hall and stared at the washroom door in horror.
There with big red letters on the door to the women's washroom was a sign that read:

OUT OF ORDER
Sorry for any inconvenience

I almost cried. I saw a gangly looking teenager with an employee vest walking down the hall to the staff washroom.

''Excuse me!'' I said, louder than I had intended.

''Can I help you?'' he asked nervously, turning towards me. He had an 'In training' badge on the front of his vest, he was new.

''Yea, when are the washrooms going to be open again?' I asked and he glanced over my shoulder at the door.

''They just sent the janitor in, they should be open in about an hour.'' he said and started to walk away.

''Umm, it's kind of an emergency,'' I said awkwardly.

''Do you think I could use the staff washroom?'' I asked.

''Sorry, I'm not allowed to do that. Sorry again'' he said and hurried off, probably to avoid further confrontation.

''What the hell am I going to do!'' I asked myself.
The women's washroom was closed, they wouldn’t let me in the staff washroom and my bladder was threatening to explode.

''What about?'' I looked to the men's washroom.

''No, I couldn't.''

''But I do really have to go.''

''What if someone comes in!''

I was torn. On one hand I had to pee like a racehorse and there was a good chance no one would even be in there, but on the other hand, someone could be in there.

''JUST GO!'' a part of me screamed. I would be quick, get in, go, get out.

I went to the door and pushed it open a crack.

''Is anyone in here?'' I asked, praying there was no answer. I leaned back and looked up and down the empty hall.

''GO! GO! GO!'' that same part of me screamed.