Status: Ongoing

What We Don't Know, Will Hurt Us

Chapter 10: Playground Woes

Jonathan's POV
There's this whole introductory seminar thing held in the new school Rosie will be attending in a few months. At first she was scared and thought that she'll never see her friends again but I assured her that she'll find more friends and that she doesn't have to lose her old ones. She wasn't used to wearing her uniform, she even thought that having to wear it everyday means it won't be washed.

I felt bad that I wasn't listening to the discussion about how to be an active parent in taking part in the school or this whole thing on granola vs cereal for your kids breakfast or something. I was just anxious about what's going on whilst she's playing. Will she fall? Scrape her knee? Look for her mommy? My own mother would be teasing me right now if she were here, but I guess this is what being a parent feels.

Finally, we were allowed to see the kids again. The avalanche of children ran for their parents as they got collected. I tried looking for Rosie, then finally she was the last to come to me. Slouching, slowly walking and constantly itching her red, puffy eyes. This is trouble.

I quickly go to her and crouch down to her small height "Hey bud, what happened? Did you hurt yourself?" I said, trying to look for bruises or wounds.
"It's the same" she sobbed
"Huh?" I asked
"It's the same thing all over again."
"Tell me about it baby." I picked her up to carry her. Walking towards a bench.

Sitting down on my lap, she began to speak despite the sniffles.
"This girl told me that mommy died cause I'm bad." She began to sob.
"A boy from my old school said that my dad is not here because he doesn't want me."
She looked at me with her red nose and wet eyes, looking for answers.

"That's not true ok bud? Believe me. Your mom raised you up to be a good girl. She didn't die because of you. It's just that... God wanted your mom up in heaven because she did such a good job of being your mom that he wanted her to teach the little angels up in the skies."

She started to cheer up. "Really?" She asked

"And what that boy said to you before, it's not true as well. Looking at you, no one could say no to you, not with those eyes." She giggled as I lightly tapped her nose.

"How bout after this, we can go where I work and introduce you to my friends, your uncles?" I asked, curious if she wanted to meet the rest of the guys.
She nods "Can we stop somewhere before that?"
"Sure bud"

The whole drive she'd tell me where to turn left, right or go straight ahead. When I asked her where we're going, she'll just say "you'll see."

Finally we stop in front of a small but bright looking flower shop. We enter and the chimes alert the person fixing the plants. Roselind immediately ran to the brown haired lady and I followed her. "Hello auntie" Rosie cheerfully greeted.
"Hi Rosie, what is it for today? We have sunflowers today." She nicely replied
"Is it the prettiest flower?" She questioned
"I'm not sure, but it's big, bright and yellow. Like the sun, it can bring light to anything."
"Can I have one please?" She eagerly asked
"Sure honey, let me just fix it up for you."

She came back with a single stemmed sunflower, all fixed up like a mini bouquet.
"Here y'a go Rosie." She handed the flower to the little girl with a smile
I pull out my wallet and ask her "How much?"

She smiled warmly, one of the warmest I've seen in a while "Don't worry, it's on me."
"But I don't want you to get in trouble or anything like that."
"It's ok, I own the place." She said "and besides, I'm a friend of Jas and Mari."
"I'm Jonathan, Rosie's dad." I took out my hand to shake hers
"I know" her soft hands shook mine. "I'm Paige."

"Can we go now?" Suddenly, Rosie spoke. Causing our handshake to break and awkward coughs to follow.

"Yeah sure baby, where to next?" I asked quickly
"You'll see" she said again.

As we were about to leave, Rosie said goodbye to Paige. She told us to take care, and my last glimpse of Paige was her waving us goodbye.

"What's the flower for?"
"You'll see" she cheekily said again.
"You like saying that don't you?"
She just laughs and proceeds to tell me where to turn in order to get to our destination.

We finally stop in front of a cemetery.
"Bud, you do know what this place is right?" I I surely asked
"Uh-huh. Now follow me." She said it like a leader

We walked and walked in the gloomy place and right on cue the skies started look dreary and gray. I held on to her hand as she skipped with slight joy despite where we were. Slowing down, she finally stopped in front of a small gravestone on the grass.

Jasmine "Hyo Joo" Han
1988-2010
Loving Mother and Caring Sister.

Realizing where we were, I could only stare at the nameplate below me. Rosie put the flower on top of the gravestone.
"Hi omma, I miss you. Appa's here."

Tears were starting to form at the brim of my eyes. I knelt down on one knee to get a better look.
"Hey Jas, it's been a while. Thanks for raising our daughter well."

"Did you love my mom?" I was taken aback by Rosie's question.
"I did baby." I sighed. "I still do." I quietly say
"She loved you too."
"Really? She told you?"
"Yeah, she told me that she wants you to be happy. And if you're happy she's happy. She told me thats love. I didn't know you were my dad but when we watched games before, she would cheer louder when you scored a goal."

I could only smile at what she said. "Hey how bout we meet the team?"
♠ ♠ ♠
This is another long one! Enjoy :)