Status: Ongoing

What We Don't Know, Will Hurt Us

Chapter 12: Bad Dream

Jonathan's POV

Today was the Blackhawks convention, where I'll formally announce that I do have a daughter. It's been circling around the tabloids, but I told my reps not to say anything, I'll address it myself.

I haven't said anything until the Q&A portion when one fan asked if it were true, despite the physical evidences of photographs, some choose to deny this news.

"This question is for Toews, I was just wondering if its true you have a secret daughter?" A woman asked.
"I do have a daughter. I haven't been keeping it a secret though. I've just found out myself. I will make a final statement after this, so if you can stay for that."

Next questioner "Mr. Toews, how hard is it to deal with a child who was just, as you said, dropped of on your front door?"
"I never said anything like that. No, it's never simple to be a dad but taking care of my daughter is a pleasure not a burden."

"Tabloids are saying that the mother of your daughter just showed up for money and left that's why she's not here. How much did she ask for?"
I was disgusted by this question, how can rumors like this start? My fists balled up and I wanted to cuss, but Rosie was watching me. I had to be calm about this.

"Honestly, that is a really rude question. But to answer that, its a no. My daughter's mother was my former girlfriend. She deserves more respect as she single handedly raised Rosie without any help, now it's my turn. She passed away thats why she's not here, not because she disappeared with a check I gave her."

The audience clapped at my response, seemingly accepting me as a father now. They egged on the girl who asked the question.

The final question was if I was only comfortable, can I show Rosie to them. I was happy my little girl was here so I pointed to her, the big screen behind me was showing her face.
"Hi bud, are you ok? Say hi to the camera baby." I said to the mic
She nodded and waved to the camera with a smile. The people "awwwwedd."

By the time we were about to leave, Rosie was getting sleepy. I carried her in my arms, lying her head on my shoulder for her to rest. She yawned and she wrapped her arms around me, which made me hold her tighter, afraid of losing her. The paparazzi then started flashing their cameras and asking random questions. Rosie bolted up, disturbed by the bright lights and loud voices. "Hey, please keep it down!" I tried to tell them but the more they kept flashing. I could feel her tiny body starting to tremble, she was scared.

We got to the car and she kept quiet till she fell asleep. Rosie wouldn't let go of my shirt, like she's afraid of losing me.

I laid her down on her bed, careful not to disturb her. I kissed her forehead as I noticed that her closed eyes are teary. I felt bad for bringing her to that kind of environment, worst of all I felt bad that my job sort of meant she has to deal with this regularly

....

Waking up at 3 am in the morning, I was thirsty. Walking back to my room from the kitchen, I heard some noises coming from Rosie's room. It was confusing, she was putting her bed sheets into her closet.

"Rosie, why are you awake?"
She looked at me startled with tears in her eyes.
"I'm sorry.. It's just.. Uhh.. I I won't do it again." She was stuttering
"What's wrong?" I quickly went to her to be closer.
She just kept quiet, suppressing her sobs. I took the bed sheets and noticed that it was wet.
"What happened baby? It's alright, tell appa."
"I promise I won't do it again. I got a bad dream with those bright lights and I went potty here. Don't be mad please, I didn't mean too. I'm sorry appa." She continued to sniff and cry, scratching her eyes. I grabbed her hands and hugged her.
"Shhhh.. I'm not mad, don't be scared I'm here. Tell me anytime you have a nightmare and I'll come, ok?"
She nodded, whilst I wiped her tears.
"Let's get cleaned up and how bout tonight or any night you want, you can sleep in my room?"
"Ok." She quietly said.

She immediately fell asleep to me brushing her hair with my fingers. She snuggled closer to me, hugging my arm that was almost her size. "Goodnight Appa." She said in her sleep
"Love you bud."

Suddenly my phone vibrated on the nightstand. A text message
"Hey, just got back from red eye flight. We need 2 talk, bring ur child if u want. Tell me when u wanna show ur face" - Lorraine

Uh-oh.
♠ ♠ ♠
School is on Monday DX