Status: Ongoing

What We Don't Know, Will Hurt Us

Chapter 13: Mommy Issues

Jonathan's POV
"Why am I so dressed up today?" Rosie asked, playing with her skirt.
"We're going to meet daddy's girlfriend."
"Oh." She said, flatly whilst looking down.
I noticed that. "Hey, I know you love your mommy but Lorraine isn't going to take her place. She can be like your mom, someone you look up to but she won't replace her."
She looked at me with curious eyes. "Do you love her?."
I've never been asked this question before "Huh? Oh, yeah.. You can say that."
"Does she make you happy." I nodded
"Then I like her." She smiled.
"That's good bud." Smiling at her thoughtful response
"But will she like me? Even though I'm wearing a tent?" She ruffled her skirt.
I couldn't help but laugh at what she said. "She'll love you babe." I assured her.

We met at a nearby restaurant for lunch. I sat there worrying about the future of my relationship while Rosie was amused by the decor of the place. Yeah, I'm not deeply inlove with my girlfriend but I don't want to break up. I understand if it will end or it will never be the same again, but I have a kid now and I can't unload the responsibility on Lorraine as well - more so that its not her child .

Finally, Lorraine walks in.
"Sweetie, introduce yourself." I nudged at Rosie, playing with the teaspoon.
"Hi, I'm Roselind." She said, waving at Lindsey with a smile.
"I'm Lorraine, nice to meet you." She said, smiling back.
"You're my day's special lady friend right?"
"Yes she is bud." I patted her back
"What do I call her then?" She asked me.
"Lorraine's okay, you can call me Lori too."
"Ok, you can call me Rosie."

The whole time was awkward between Lorraine and I. Rosie definitely picked up being talkative from her aunt. She'd tell us about many random things, they were ice breakers though. Occasionally, Lori would giggle due to the case of "kids say the darnedest things." Rosie never picked up what was going on, but she's a kid, what would she know? Eventually Rosie got bored and asked me if she can walk around the place, because "every table has different kinds of flowers" and she wants to see them. Only a few people were in the small restaurant and I told her to be behaved while exploring the place.

As soon as she skipped off, I knew I had to tackle this and talk about it with Lorraine.
"We can't put this off any longer, Jon." She started
"I know." That's all that I could say
"How come you didn't tell me about her? I had to find out from someone else? I'm your girlfriend, I deserve a bit more of respect than that." She was upset
"I'm sorry, I know what I did was wrong but I was just too nervous and afraid to tell you, above everyone else."
"Really? You were afraid? Jeez, Jon I'm your girlfriend not some random chick you pick up on the sidewalk after you win a game." She was getting rather agitated
"On top of it all, we never talked about her."
"Lori, hear me out, I swear I wasn't hiding her from yo-"
"I meant her mother."
"What do you want to know, she's the past."
"Who is she really? A one night stand or a booty call?"
"Don't start Lori!" I almost pounded the table.
I sighed. "Jas was my girlfriend way back before the Blackhawks."
"She was my first love. And now she's the mother of my child so at least give the dead some respect ok?"
"How did she get here?" Lori said, whilst looking at Rosie.
"Remember at the airport? The girl at the gate when we were boarding? That's her aunt, Jas' sister, Mari. We met up and now this."
"You sure this wasn't just for money or anything. Like, why now?"
"It's not money, it was Jas' last wish that if Mari and I ever bumped into each other, Mari will tell me about this whole situation."
"But this is temporary right? When is she going back with her aunt?"
"That's just it.. I don't want it to be temporary, I think want full custody."
"What?"
"I still have to talk to Mari about it but in the end it's for Rosie's own good and her happiness is top priority"
"I get that but, what about us?"
Still confused I looked at her bewildered.
"Ugh, Jon, I love you but you clearly don't get how I'm not ready for any of this! What do you expect me to say? Ok, Jon lets continue like nothing ever happened and nothing will ever change. No Jon. This isn't playing house, this is a child. More importantly she's not mine. I might grow to love her but I'm not ready now. Understand me please?" Things were getting pretty loud
Unbelievable. "Yeah I get you, but are you making me pick between you and my own daughter." I asked her
"Sucks to say but yes, look at you yourself, you're young and the responsibilities of having a child is not easy. Things right now might be all rainbows and butterflies, but believe me in the end you'll give up cause you realized fatherhood isn't for you. I know you Jon, just wait till one day your child is taken away by child services cause you can't get your priorities straight. Think about it, you're not any more ready as I am." She tried to reason out.
"How would you know? I became aware of how hard this will be when I agreed to watch over her.. I'm pretty sure you know who I will pick Lorraine!"
She sighed "Then I guess this is the end. Have fun being daddy. I'll be the first to say 'I told you so' once you see this isn't right and you ship her back to her aunt, where she belongs."
With that, she stood up and left the restaurant in a hurry. But something at the corner of my eye caught my attention. It was Rosie, clutching the hems of her skirt, afraid and her eyes widened at what she just saw.

"Baby.." I tried to call her
"Are you alright? How were the flowers-"
"Did" she cut me,
"Did she leave because of me?" She asked in disbelief
Breathing to calm down, I spoke, "No bud, come here."
She ran to my arms, looking up at me she asked what happened
"Don't worry about it ok? It's just that appa realized whats the most important thing in the world. You."
She nodded and hugged me tight and I didn't want to let go.