Status: Ongoing

What We Don't Know, Will Hurt Us

Chapter 7: The Meeting

Jonathan's POV
They're bound to get here anytime and.. I have to say it, I'm at my wits end. My chaotic train of thought suddenly came into a screeching halt when the doorbell rang. As soon as I open the door, the past 7 years will be looking at me straight in the face. Will it welcome me? Or reject me then and there? Time to find out.

I slowly open the door and see Mari with a small smile on her face. I look down a bit further and behind her legs was her - my daughter.

"Hi Jon, thanks for giving this a shot, I know you're at a tight spot right now. You're really busy too."
"Don't worry about it. It's my responsibility. Come on in"

I led them to the living room to settle this once and for all.

"Want anything to drink?" I asked from the kitchen.
"Do you have coffee?" She asked
"Yes I do.. Uhh, how bout Roselind?"

She looks down at the tiny, fragile being beside her and mutters a few words. Tiny but audible footsteps walk across the floor and suddenly right in front of me where the most innocent, gentle yet yearning eyes.

"Hey bud, want anything?"
"Can I please have some water?" She meekly asked.
"Sure, here you go." I handed her a cup
"Thank you mister." She gently smiles and takes a sip.
"You're welcome"

I stare at her, as she went back to the couch. My whole body tensed and relaxed with every step she took, like there's this innate fear that she'll fall, and I would be to slow to catch her from it. This little girl right here, in just under 5 minutes, has me wrapped around her finger.

Mari told me that she hasn't told Rosie about me being her dad but I was thankful, I thought that it needed to come from me. Then I realized, what if she doesn't like me?

"Imo, why are we here?" Rosie asked after sitting in the couch just looking at each other for a long and awkward time.
"Umm.. Rosie, this is Jonathan, a friend of mine."
"He's on tv right? With a big hat on his head."
"Hahaha yeah, and I was wearing a helmet." I answered
"Oh.. That's what it's called."
Mari then coughed and looked at me, like a signal.
"Do you know why we're here, Rosie?"
"Umm.. So you can put makeup on him so he looks nice on tv?"
Mari and I couldn't help but chuckle at her innocent answer.
"No baby, ok, you know that a baby like you has a mom and a dad right?"
"Yup."
"You only had omma and imo right? So now, we're here to meet him."
"Ok.. so, you're my dad?" She looked at me questioningly
Caught off guard, I could only say "yeah."
"Where were you?" She asked again
Until now, I don't think I ever wanted to hear that question.
♠ ♠ ♠
So close to 200 readers!