Status: Ongoing

What We Don't Know, Will Hurt Us

Chapter 8: Responsibility

Jonathan's POV
Our last meeting was quite awkward. Rosie asked me where I was for the past few years. Explaining to her was difficult, but in the end she took it, well, lightly - I answered "umm, hockey?" Cause I blanked out and she said "ok" contentedly. With kids, you'll never know what's really going on up there in their heads. Mari asked if Rosie and I could meet again in order to get familiar with each other. She also had something to discuss with me.

Looking at Rosie more and more, I can see that she is mine, without a doubt. Jas had black hair, hers is brown. Even her lips are a copy of mine, but her eyes are from her mother.

"Jon, I don't know how to ask you this but believe me I'm just desperate." Mari said
"Is it money? Mari it's alright, you're my child's aunt."
"No, no, not that. It's just that I was offered a really prestigious internship in New York"
I look at her still confused, partly because I'm still trying to let this whole thing sink in.
"I'd say no because no one will watch over Rosie but, I don't think I should pass this."
"How bout your mom and dad?" I asked
"They're all the way back in Winnipeg and.. Rosie's never met them."
"Why?" I was getting confused.
"Hey baby," she looked over to Rosie. "You like looking at cars right from tall buildings? We're pretty high up, why don't you check out the view from up here and tell me what you think." She nodded eagerly with a small smile and skipped to the windows.

"When Jas told them of her condition, they got angry and wanted to confront you and your parents to take responsibility." She breathes, keeping her voice down. "But Jas begged them not to on a compromise that she'll give up Rosie for adoption once she's born. Our parents sent her here, and I insisted on following. They didn't want the pregnant teenaged daughter to shame the family name, they told everyone we were in boarding school. Typical asian parents." She chuckled. "When Jas gave birth, she couldn't give up her baby." She looked at me "basically Jas, Rosie and I are .. Disowned."

I couldn't believe what I heard
"How long will you be gone for your internship?"
"It's till September and I'm supposed to leave in 3 days."

I think long and hard about what to do. Saying "no, I can't" is the easy option. I'll avoid having to explain to my parents, teammates, the press and most importantly Lorraine. I look over to where she's standing. Amused by the sights she can see, nothing else matters to her right now. It will be difficult to take her in, but I feel that I owe it her and Jas.

"I'll take care of her, don't worry." I say decidedly
♠ ♠ ♠
I think I'll be posting 2 chapters today. Patrick Kane's storyline will come in a few chapters.