Status: Ongoing

What We Don't Know, Will Hurt Us

Chapter 9: Bud

Jonathan's POV
It's been 2 days since Mari asked me to watch over Roselind. We've agreed on certain things, like I want to send my daughter to a better school. When she gets back, I can visit or Roselind can visit me anytime she wants but Mari said that in the end, it's up to Rosie who she wants to live with. I've told my parents, and they flew to Chicago as soon as I put the phone down. Roselind is not a shy child, but not incredibly bold. She knew when to entertain people and when to restrain herself. Such a mature young lady already.

Needless to say, she bonded quickly with her grandparents and uncle. My mom didn't want to leave her and was skeptical about me being a parent. To my dad, she's the little princess already and to Rosie, he's the king of the castle. According to Rosie, Dave is the big fast horse, I could only smile as he let her on his back to play horsey.

My team mates and friends found out as well. They were obviously shocked but were all excited and eager to meet the "little one." Pat knew a little about Jas from some stories I'd tell of her, so he immediately thought he should be the godfather. I haven't told Lori anything, that's when I have to say, I don't know how to break it to her. We haven't met up yet because she's out of town with some of her friends.

Today, I was going to show her around the new school she'll be attending in a few months. These past couple of days were awfully quiet, not awkward, but I can see her feeling uncomfortable at times and I don't know how to talk to her about it - imagine once she's a teenager. For the past few days we'd only say it would be: good morning, how's your day, it's fine, good night, sleep well on repeat.

Strapped at the front seat, I began to drive as she just looked outside the window. I can catch her take glimpses of me and when I look at her, she turns her head away.

"Hey bud, need anything? If you're scared because of going to a new school, I'm just here."
She just nodded and I can slightly hear her say she's alright.

"Can I ask you something?" She suddenly but meekly spoke.
I look at her, taking a moment.
"S..sure bud"
"Why do you call me bud? Isn't that for boys? Did you want a boy."
"Whoa there bud, that's a lot of questions." I chuckled "You should talk more, you know I don't bite." I smiled at her.

"So.. Why?" She asked again, impatiently.
I smile and remember the memory and the story of her name. I began "Well, back then your mom and I were talking about kids, out of fun. I told her that I want our first kid or all of our kids to be girls. So that answers one of your questions, I want a girl not a boy, cause it was only me and your uncle Dave, I wanted a girl that I can baby and protect." I paused to look at her, fully interested at my story.

"I told your mom that I want to name my first daughter after your tradition. Your mom's name is Jasmine and your aunt's name is Marigold. They're all flowers. I wanted to name you Rose or anything with Rose so I can call you Bud for short, like rosebud. Fortunately, your mom went with that plan"

"I like it when you call me bud." She smiled
"Glad you do, bud." I replied, smiling too.

"But what should I call you?"
"Well, what are you comfortable with?" I was curious, hoping it wasn't "Jonathan"
"Appa." She paused "it's dad in Korean."

I can only smile at her and rub her head, my heart completely melting and my spirit soaring.
♠ ♠ ♠
Phew, quite long! Sorry if there are typos, I'm updating from my iPad so the touchscreen can get wonky and stuff :P