Status: Active

I Won't Go Down Easily

Chapter 8

The next morning all of the tributes were woken up early to view their scores from their private sessions and to begin preparation for the interviews later that night. Aria threw on a simple blue sweater and a pair of dark pants before joining Ezra in the hall and following her down to the sitting room. Nash, Seth and Ian were already on the couch waiting for the program to start. She sat down next to Ian, stifling a yawn. Sleep hadn’t come easy last night. After remembering that the Games actually began tomorrow, a sick feeling spread in her gut, eliminating any chance of sleep. The fact that she could easily die tomorrow wasn’t too comforting.

Her thoughts were interrupted by the Capital’s Anthem blaring through the speakers on the tv. Caesar Flickerman appeared on screen instantaneously, this year his color scheme was a dark, forest green. He welcomed everyone in his regular charismatic way and quickly reminded Panem that the interviews were tonight - as if anyone could forget. Most people -mainly Capital citizens- had a countdown to when the Games would begin. This was their favorite time of the year; watching children kill other children. What fun.

Aria focused her attention back to the screen when he began reading the scores. The two District 1 tributes - Cameron and Emerald both, unsurprisingly, received the high score of nine. Then there was the other half of the Careers, Jamie and Thalia. Jamie was scored a solid ten while his partner received an eight. No one was surprised by any of their scores, it was no secret that Careers are trained for the Games, so it would’ve been a lot more shocking if they got a lower score.

District 3 blurred together, both tributes got lower scores - a three and five. Then it was District 4. Ian squeezed Aria’s arm reassuringly. Seth’s picture appeared on screen first, along with the number five. Everyone quickly muttered ‘congratulations’ to him before looking back at the screen, where Aria’s picture was now showing.

Caesar looked down at a note card and read, “Aria Arlen, District 4, with a score of six.” Ian smiled at her and clasped her shoulders in congratulation while everyone else said the same to the two of them.

A six. A freaking six. Aria was not expecting such a good number - especially for a tribute from District 4. That was only two points lower than what one of the Careers received.

The rest of the Tributes’ scores flew by, Aria didn’t pay much attention to them. So far everyone had been scoring around fours and fives, not many people were really outstanding. However, that soon ended when Ryan’s face appeared on the screen, along with a score of nine - which was only one point lower than the highest scoring Career. Aria couldn’t help but smile at that. She had absolutely no idea how he did it, but hey, good for him. If anyone was going to win the Hunger Games, other than her of course, she’d want it to be him.

“Well, ready for your interview preparations?” Asked Ezra excitedly, standing up and smoothing out her ridiculous dress.

For the first half of the day, Aria would be preparing with Nash and then the second half Ian and her prep team would be getting her ready.

Her and Nash were seated in navy blue plush chairs; both growing increasingly frustrated by the minute. Both of them were clueless as to what Aria was going to say for the interviews. The problem was that there wasn’t a lot she could say that would help her stand out amongst twenty three other tributes.

“When Caesar is talking to you,” Nash offered after a few minutes of becoming absorbed in his thoughts. “Talk to him as if you were talking to one of your friends, or your brother, even. Be charismatic. Are you and Logan close?”

Aria smiled at that, her brother was one of her best friends. “Yes. He’s the one who taught me everything I know - in fact he’s the reason I scored a six in the private session. Every Sunday me and him would go out and fish. It wouldn’t matter if we didn’t catch anything, we just liked spending time together.”

“Good, good. See, that’s what I’m talking about! Open up; you need to develop a connection with Panem, make them want you to win so much that they’ll sponsor you. I think you’re best bet is to talk about your home - whether it’s your brother, parents, friends or even the water. Think you can do that?”

Aria nodded in response. Maybe the interviews wouldn’t be that bad. Her home was everything to her; she loved District 4. And just thinking about the possibility that she could go back there was enough motivation in itself.

- - - -

The rest of her time with Nash went a lot better than the beginning now that they actually had somewhat of an angle. So, before she knew it, it was time for Aria’s stylists to get her ready. As usual, they worked quickly. By the time they were through with her, she barely recognized herself in the mirror. Her eyes looked dark and intimidating - much different than the ‘pretty’ look they gave her for the tribute parade. And her hair was wavy, falling down her back, with some dark blue extensions added in. She didn’t have much trouble guessing what look they were told to go for by Ian. And sure enough, when he came in with her dress, her thoughts were confirmed.

Tonight she was going to resemble the ocean during a storm. Angry, frightening, unforgivable and not willing to back down. The dress was more like an evening gown, going down to her feet. It was a deep midnight blue, with grey and dark blue appearing in the skirt that flowed out. Needless to say, it was perfect. Once Ian got it on her, the look was perfect. She looked intimidating and well, like a competitor for once.

Aria turned to Ian with a smile on her face. “It’s absolutely perfect, thank you.”

He returned her smile and wrapped his arms around her, pulling her into a comforting hug. “I think you have a chance of winning this for your district, you know. And I don’t say that to all of the tributes I style,” He joked. Aria laughed in response, pulling away from him and taking in his reassuring smile. “You better get going, it’s almost time for the interviews to start. Good luck!”

Ezra knocking on the door to escort Aria to the center of the Capital was a confirmation of that. After Ian gave her one last smile of assurance, Aria left the room and followed Ezra to the lift at the end of the hall. She pressed one of the buttons and began to talk about what the District 9 escort was wearing, and how out of fashion it was. As usual, Aria tuned her out, her mind elsewhere. The fact that today could be her last day of breathing, and just being alive was terrifying and wouldn’t stop going through her head.

The two quickly reached the center of the Capital, joining the rest of the tributes. All of the tributes were dressed as best as possible, District one and two out-shinning everyone as usual. It was the same story every year. But none of that mattered, because that’s what the tribute parade was for; but the interviews required substance. Something that not all of the tributes could provide.

Within minutes after Aria’s arrival, the Anthem was playing and Caesar was taking his place on stage, energetically cracking jokes, warming Panem up for the real show. Aria didn’t pay much attention to the first three districts; she didn’t really care to hear about how ready and excited they were for the games. So, when it came time for District 4, it surprised her. Seth went first, so she had three minutes to prepare herself for one of the most important nights of, well, her life.

Aria knew she was getting herself worked up, and that she just needed to relax. But that was a lot easier said than done. Especially since Seth’s interview was just wrapping up. She glanced over her shoulder at the other tributes, trying to read their expressions. That’s when she locked eyes with Ryan. He gave her a crooked smile before mouthing the words good luck, along with a thumbs up. Surprisingly, she genuinely returned his smile before making her way up the stairs leading to the stage, just as Caesar called her name.
♠ ♠ ♠
meh. Not a fan of this chapter, sorry it kinda sucks. But hey, on the bright side next chapter they all finally go into the arena, and it will start to pick up right away