You're Such a Fool

Chapter Ten

didn't talk to Max at all that Sunday. My guess was he got grounded. Since I didn't have to deal with him, I went over to Ryan's to smoke and play video games. So yeah, my Sunday was pretty chill.

Monday morning I wasn't sure if I had to pick Max up. I was just going to go directly to school but something told me to go to Max's. So I did.

Max was waiting with a couple other kids at the bus stop. His eyes lit up when he saw me and relief formed on his face. He jogged over to my truck and climbed in.

"I thought you weren't coming." He said, buckling his seat-belt.

"Well you never texted me so..."

"The General took my phone. He was pissed I came home so late and I'm grounded for a week."

It was my fault he got in trouble but I didn't bother to apologize. With Max grounded, I wouldn't have to see him outside of school. Better yet, maybe he'll be pissed at me and refuse to talk to me. I knew he wouldn't break up with me though. I had the kid wrapped around my finger.

In the short time we've been "dating" I've already gained his trust. He was under the impression that I'm "The sweet, caring boyfriend." He didn't suspect that I was going to tear his little heart in half. He won't leave me, I'm sure of it.

After we got to school, I walked Max to his locker. He was going on and on about something I couldn't be fucked to care about. Halfway there, I saw Jacky and Ryan by the vending machines. I cut Max off mid-sentence and told him I'd see him later. I left him confused and by the look of it a little hurt to join the guys.

"Hey, Ronnie. Shouldn't you be with Max? You know, the kid you're fucking over for a measly hundred dollars?" Jacky said. He really wasn't happy about this plan.

Ryan stuck a few coins in the machine and pressed the keys for a cheese danish. "Yeah, where is Mr. Beer Pong champ anyways?"

"Going to his locker. He wouldn't shut up so I left him when I saw you guys."

Ryan chuckled while Jacky just shook his head disapprovingly.

"Seriously, Ronnie? Why are you such an asshole? The poor kid obviously likes you and you're treating him like shit."

"It's nothing personal, at least not for me. I'm just trying to help out a heart broken friend."

That earned me a snort from Ryan who took a large bite out of his danish. Jacky didn't find it as funny.

"You're right," Jacky said. "Nason is the asshole for coming up with the plan. You're just a cunt for going along with it." The warning bell rung and Jacky gave me one last stern look. "Ronnie, you really need to stop. This is someone's life you're messing with. Is it really worth a hundred bucks?"

In first period, I thought about what Jacky said... for all of five seconds. I decided yes; breaking Max's heart in a pathetic attempt to destroy his self-esteem to get him to go back out with Nason was in fact worth a hundred bucks.

It's not like I'm doing any serious damage. People use people all the time. He'll be fine. I can't quit now anyways. I promised Nason I... oh who am I kidding? The only reason I'm still doing this is for the benefits. If it wasn't for the fact that Max annoyed the hell out of me, I'd totally stay with him for the sex.

After school, I dropped Max off at his home and drove to Nason's for a smoke and "progress report"

"Why is this taking so long, Ronnie? I thought-"

"Dude, for the millionth time. Be patient. These things take a while." He took a hit from the bowl and started coughing uncontrollably. "You'll get him back soon enough."

"Wait a minute. You've fallen for him, haven't you? So now you're pulling my dick because you secretly want to steal him from me! Oh my God! You back-stabbing-"

"Nason!" I cut him off, snatching the bowl away from him. "All the smoke must have gone straight to your head, man. Are you crazy? Seriously, why the hell would I want to "steal him away" from you? The kid's a good fuck and that's it. You've known me long enough to know I don't do relationships. The last person I dated was Austin and you saw how that ended. I have absolutely no desire to date Max whatsoever!"

After my mini rant, it got quiet. I've have my suspicions that there's something loose in that head of his but this pretty much proved it. Did Nason honestly think I "fell for Max?" That is the stupidest thing I've ever heard, even stupider than Nason's actual plan.

"Yeah, you're right." Nason finally said. "That is crazy. You wouldn't do that to me anyways."

He reached for the bowl but I slapped his hand away. "No, you're cut off."

~~~

The next couple days were uneventful. I only saw Max when I drove him to and from school. His mom didn't want me driving him to work anymore which suited me fine. During school, I didn't talk to him much either. Only between classes when he managed to catch up to me.

It was great. This was the test for Max's endurance. How much of my shit could he take? I wanted to push him to the limit but not quite break him. Not yet at least.

Thursday morning I met with Jacky, Ryan and Derek before class in the courtyard, leaving Max at his locker once again.

"So what are you doing with your boy toy today?" Derek asked.

"Why would we be doing anything?"

"It's Valentine's day, Ronnie." Jacky said, gesturing around the courtyard. Dozens of girls were running around with giant teddy bears, heart-shaped boxes of chocolate, or balloons. Some had all three. All of the couples of the school were acting moore googly-eyed than normal. How did I not notice that before?

"You forgot V-day?" Ryan said. "Nice dude."

I shrugged. It wasn't like I actually would have done something if I'd known. I'm definitely not into fake holidays guys use to sleep with their girlfriends, or that girls use to get free shit. It was pathetic.

"Honestly, Ronnie? You could have at least gotten him a card or something, considering what you're going to do for him."

There mother Jacky goes, trying to be the angel on my shoulder. Unfortunately for him, the devil screamed louder.

"Why should he waste his money on a fake relationship?" Ryan pointed out. Derek agreed with a laugh.

"Thank you!" I said.

"You guys are all wankers." Jacky sighed frustratingly and stormed off, bumping into me as he passed.

"Where are you going?" I called.

"To walk your boyfriend to our math class."

I don't think I've ever seen Jacky so angry. In fact, I've never seen him angry before at all. Jacky usually was the calm one but he was genuinely pissed off... over a kid he doesn't even know. He's acting like I'm going along with Nason's plan with the sole purpose of hurting Max; But I wasn't. I was doing it for the money.. well, and the sex no too.

Max was nice and all but he was so naive. In a way, I'm doing Max a favor. I'm teaching him that the real world isn't all rainbows and happiness. In the real world, people will fuck you over if you let them. Hopefully when this is all over, Max will come out of it with a little street smarts. If not, it's not my fault.

Later in first period, I was bored as hell so I asked for the bathroom pass so I could wonder the halls for the rest of class. My teacher was so old she probably won't even notice I didn't come back. I was heading towards the vending machines when I passed Max and Jacky's room. An idea popped into my mind.

I know what Max and I will do for Valentine's Day.

I knocked on the wooden door and waited for their fat, balding teacher to answer.

"Yes?" He asked, raising an eyebrow. Jacky's eyes locked with mine and he shook his head.

"Mrs. Mills needs to see Max Green." I said. Mrs. Mills was the sophomore guidance counselor. She often sent students from study hall to collect others from class. That was believable enough.

"Max, you're being summoned." The teacher said. Max, who was taking notes, looked up with a confused expression. Once he saw it was me, he smiled and closed his notebook. He followed me out of the room into the hall. As soon as the teacher shut the door, I kissed Max roughly.

I must have caught him off guard because it took him a moment to react. "So I'm guessing I really don't need to go to guidance." He mumbled against my lips.

I took his hand and pulled him to the nearest bathroom. It was empty. Perfect!

Once we were inside a stall, I slammed Max into the wall. Jacky was right. It was Valentine's Day and Max is kinda my boyfriend. It's only right to celebrate... so I let Max blow me.

So maybe it was sleazy and about as far from romantic as you can get but it was something. Max was my boyfriend, after all, isn't his job to please me? Ok, so maybe I just used Valentine's Day as an excuse to get off, but hey it was all in the holiday spirit.

After I finished, I zipped up my jeans and exited the stalls. "Oh, by the way I'm skipping the rest of the day so you'll need to find your own way home."

"Oh... ok." He said, sounding confused.

I left him in the bathroom to get back to my classroom. There was only a couple minutes left in class. As soon as the bell rang, I grabbed my bag and bolted for the student parking lot.

On my way home, I stopped at the gas station to buy some cigarettes and rolling paper. This place was so ghetto and run down that they didn't even check for ID's.

I smoked a joint, took some keeping pills, and passed out shortly afterwards
♠ ♠ ♠
Eh.