You're Such a Fool

Chapter Two

Over the next few days, I did everything I could to talk to Max. I got to school earlier so I could beat him to his locker, intercepted him on his way to class, and met him at his locker after school. The first couple days he refused to talk to me. he just walked away like I wasn't even there. I didn't give up though.

I left notes in his locker and sent him texts all day. He was pissed I got his number and threatened to change it if I didn't stop. I didn't. I was basically stalking the kid.

The next week, Max caught on and went out of his way to avoid me. He kept all of his books in his bag so he didn't have to stop at his locker. He changed his routes to class and refused to text me back. I was getting frustrated and resorted to desperate measures; I went to his work.

He wasn't there that day so I talked to his co-worker, a petite, nerdy looking girl. She practically drooled as I walked up to the counter. I flashed her one of my "charming nice guy" smiles.

"Hey, can you tell me Max's work schedule?"

"Y-yeah sure." She giggled.

I found out he worked this Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday after school and then Saturday and Sunday too. On Tuesday, i happened to be craving Subway and decided to go.

I got there around five and Max was behind the counter. His snakebites and gauges were gone. The holes in his lips looked almost like scars or something.

"You have got to be kidding me." He said the moment he saw me. "Showing up at my work? God, are you seriously stalking me?"

I feigned hurt, placing my hand over my heart.

"Is that any way to talk to a customer? I think I may have a talk with your manager."

Max gave me a dirty look. I will admit getting under Max's skin was fun. He was making my job difficult so it was only fair I get to mess with him a bit.

"And don't flatter yourself, sweetheart. I didn't even know you worked here." Alright, I was lying through my teeth now.

Max was silent for a moment, trying to read my face no doubt. I mustered up the most innocent expression I could.

"Whatever." He muttered. "Now what do you want?"

I looked over the menu. I've never actually eaten here before so I had no idea what they had. I just picked something random.

Max got to work making my sub, but it was obvious he wasn't happy.

"What do you want on it?" He asked halfheartedly.

"Lettuce," He sprinkled some on. "Tomatoes," He plopped them down. "Mushrooms, avocado, and onions."

"Anything else?" He asked impatiently.

"Nope. He started to wrap up the sub. "Actually, can I get a little more lettuce?"

"You've got to be fuc-" He cut himself off and closed his eyes for a second. "Sure."

I chuckled to myself. Max was so easy to piss off.

Just as he was about to close the sub,Ii said, "On second thought, I don't want the mushrooms."

Max's hands balled into fists and for a second, I really thought he was going to hit me. I actually felt kinda bad. Maybe I was pushing this kid too far.

Nah.

"Of course, sir." He removed the mushrooms and then, with more force than nessisary, slammed the top of the bread back on. "Would you like a god damn foot rub while I'm at it?" He spat in a low voice.

"Are you offering?" I said, wiggling my eyebrows. Max scoffed and pushed a few buttons on the register. He gave me my total. I pulled out a twenty dollar bill and handed it to him. He pressed more buttons then put the bill in the machine.

"Ok, $14.71 is your change." He passed me the money and then my sub. "Have a great day."

I put the change he gave me into the tip jar. It wasn't like I needed the money. His eyes widened in surprise.

"Uh, thanks." He said almost awkwardly. I smiled.

"If you really want to thank me, you can let me take you on a date."

"Oh my god. Are you ever going to give it up?"

"Sure. Once you agree to go out with me."

Max snorted. "Never gonna happen."

I licked my lips, leaning against the counter. "We'll see."

~~~

It was pouring down rain the next day. I convinced my last period teacher to let me out early. It was wood shop and the teacher loved me so it wasn't that hard. I was going to wait outside Max's class for him.

The bell rang and students rushed out of the classrooms. Max was the last one out. He didn't notice me at first and walked right past me. I ran up behind him and grabbed his arm. He jumped and whipped around.

"Really? Were you just waiting for me?"

"Maybe." Max tried to leave but I stopped him. "Please just hear me out."

"Ronnie, I told you before that I'm not going to take Nason back!"

I shoved my hands in my pockets, propping myself up against a locker. The hallways were clearing quickly.

"Max, I'm telling you I am not trying to do that." I said the next thing to come to mind. "Nason and I aren't even friends."

"Really now?" He looked at me with this doubtful expression. "Since when?"

"Last week. i got sick of his bullshit."

"Oh." Max said and chewed on his bottom lip. "Well it took you long enough."

He turned and headed towards the courtyard. Fuck. I wasn't going to let him get away again.

"You know," I called. "If you want to get back at Nason, I know for a fact that dating me would be outstanding in that capacity." Max slowed down some and he peered over his shoulder.

"Oh, I get it. You just want to go out with me to piss Nason off. Yeah, no thanks."

I had to bite my tongue to avoid cursing this kid out. I swear he was fucking impossible.

"That's not what I meant!" I said. "Max, please!"

"No." Max pushed open the door and froze. The rain was beating down hard and the wind was howling. I inwardly smirked when I saw the bus lot was empty. My plan had worked.

"Bummer. Good luck walking home in that, Maxi."

Max whipped around with fire in his eyes. He tried to shove me backwards but I barely moved.

"You're such a dick! God dammit! I have to be at work in forty five minutes and now I'm going to be late thanks to you."

"Well you know, I could give you a ride if you ask nicely." Max appeared to think it over. Max wouldn't pick walking home in the rain over getting a ride from me. He couldn't be that stubborn, right?"

"You know what? No. I don't even care if I'm late. There's no way I'm riding with you."

Max walked outside in the pouring rain, leaving me speechless. This kid really didn't like me.

Well fuck him. Let him catch a fucking pneumonia. I don't give a shit. When I get home, I'm telling Nason I give up. The headaches this kid was giving me wasn't worth a hundred bucks.

Max was the most stubborn, infuriating person I've ever met. I'm not going to put the time or effort into this because it was pointless.

I watched Max trudge through the rain.He looked absolutely pitiful. His clothes were already soaked and I'm positive he was freezing. It was in the low fifties right now and the rain probably made it even colder. I sighed.

"Oh crap." I couldn't let him do this.

I covered my head with my hood and rushed after Max. The rain was pounding down loudly and Max didn't even realize I was behind him until I jumped in front of him.

"Max, I'm not going to let you walk home in this rain. Just let me drive you." Max opened his mouth but I wasn't in the mood to argue. "No, Max. You're going to allow me to drive you." I took Max's hand and yanked him towards the student parking lot. He didn't try to fight me.

Once we got to my truck, I unlocked the passenger side first so Max could get in then ran to the driver's side.

Turning the heat on full, I shook my head like a dog to get some water off. Max had his arms wrapped around himself and his teeth were chattering. I reached down to grab my spare hoodie I kept on the floor.

"Here. Take off your jacket and put this on." Instead of arguing like I expected, Max actually did what I said.

"Thanks." He said quietly as I backed out of the parking spot.

The next couple minutes were silent. No one spoke except when Max occasionally gave me directions. I wasn't going to tell him that I already knew because... well that'd just be creepy.

When we arrived at his apartment complex, I parked in front of his building.

"Thanks for the ride." He said.

"No problem, babe. But you could repay me with a kiss."

Max rolled his eyes. "Goodbye, Ronnie."

Fuck no. Max was going to agree on a date before he leaves. I was sick of this cat and mouse bullshit. Max opened the door and started to get out. Shit, I had to think fast.

"Can I use your bathroom?"

"Uh-" Max glanced up to his apartment then to my dashboard clock, then to me. "Yeah, I guess."

I killed the engine and followed Max up the stairs to his apartment on the second floor. He unhooked the key set from his belt loop and unlocked the door.

"Take your shoes off."

His apartment was pretty nice and smelled like a bakery. The hallway, which was lined with family photos and what looked like military medals, opened up to the kitchen on the left and the living room on the right. Past that was another hallway which had three doorways. Bedrooms and a bathroom, I guessed.

The living room was furnished with a huge leather couch, a man plopped on it staring at a huge flat screen TV hanging on the wall. He was dressed in a pair of ratty old jeans and a grey t-shirt. The man muted the TV and stood up.

"Maxwell, why the hell are you wet?" He seemed to just notice me and looked me up and down, a frown on his face. Prick. "And who's this?"

"It's raining. And he's not staying long, sir."

Max quickly pulled me along down the hall. He opened the first door on the left to reveal a bathroom.

"Make it quick." He mumbled. I shut the door and did my business. I actually did have to piss.

Max's bathroom was neatly organized. Everything had a place and it was all spotless. His blow dryer and straightener were unplugged with the chords wrapped around them perfectly. His tooth brush was placed in it's holder next to the mouth wash. All of his hair products were lined up neatly, labels facing forward. Did he have OCD or something? God damn. He might have a heart attack if he saw my messy bathroom.

I flushed the toilet and washed my hands. Max was standing outside the door, dressed in his work clothes. He handed me my hoodie and pushed past me into the bathroom. His hair was towel dried and sticking up in every direction. I watched as he plugged in his straightener frantically.

"Shit, I'm going to be late." He muttered to himself, shaking it, as if willing it to heat up faster. Our eyes met in the mirror. "You can go now."

"I can drive you to work if you want."

"No thanks."

I leaned on the door frame, crossing my arms over my chest. He wasn't getting rid of me that easy. If Max was going to be a bitch, then so was I.

"Come on, babe."

Max placed the straightener down and whirled around to face me. "I told you to stop calling me that."

"Sorry," Max turned back to the mirror. " Babe.

"God! What do I have to do to get you to leave me the hell alone?"

I pushed myself off the frame and stood directly behind him. I snaked my arms around him, resting my head on his shoulder. He stiffened and I'm sure I heard him gasp. I had him right where I wanted him.

"I told you before, Maxi. Go on a date with me."

Max stared straight ahead at his reflection, licking his lips in a nervous fashion. I could see the consideration in his eyes. I got him. I just knew it. Just one more little push...

"You know you want to, babe." I whispered in his ear. Max visibly shuttered.

"One date," He swallowed. "And then you'll leave me alone?"

"One date and then I'll leave you alone." I agreed. "But I guarantee by the end of the night, you'll change your mind about me."
♠ ♠ ♠
Ohhhh, they have a date!

I really want to thank everyone who has read, commented on, or recommended this story so far. It makes me really happy to know people are digging this.

The next chapter should be out in a couple days if I can find the time. School's starting up soon and I haven't even began summer reading. Woops.