You're Such a Fool

Chapter Five

Max and I hung out practically all weekend. On Saturday, I picked him up at two, having woken up at one, and we went out for lunch at some local pizza shop. After that, we went to the mall and walked around for a while.

The mall was attached to a movie theater so we went to see some horror film about zombies. I don't know whether it was good or not because I had my tongue shoved down Max's throat the entire time.

After that, we went to the drive through of some burger joint and drove down to the lake. I remember Nason writing Max loved coming down here in that stalker folder he gave me.

We sat in the bed of my truck, eating our dinner. I had the car radio on, letting me Guns N' Roses CD be the soundtrack of our meal. Nason had texted me all throughout the day, demanding to know every detail of every minute.

When I got home the previous night after mine and Max' date, I told him what had happened. He made an unbelievably high-pitched, and slightly hilarious, noise into the phone.

"I love the lake." Max spoke, staring off a the water. His legs were hanging off the egg of the bed, swinging happily in a childlike manner.

"Me too." I lied. I actually fucking hated the lake. It was boring and smelled way too strongly of fish guts.

"Ronnie?"

"Hmm? I hummed to let him know I was listening.

"I'm sorry I was such an asshole before." My brows furrowed in surprise. Ok, I was not expecting that. "I just- I really thought Nason sent you to fuck with me. It seems like something he was stupid enough to do." He rolled his napkin into a ball and then unfolded it again.

"Yeah, it does actually."

I couldn't help but snort at the irony. Max had no idea how right he was.

Max was smart, but he was so naive. He needed to learn to trust his instincts, not a dirt bag like me. If he had, he would have protected himself from the pain I would cause.

I took him home around 5:30 so he could get ready for work, and then drove him there. I had to wait in the car while he changed to his work clothes. He wouldn't tell me why but I figured because of his parents.

On my way back to my house after dropping him off, I stopped at Nason's to smoke. Telling him everything would be the only way to get him off my back.

"So, dude. Since you guys are dating and shit, how long will it take before I get him back? He asked with this glazed-over look. He was baked. I tossed the tennis ball I was playing with in the air, caught it, then tossed it up again.

"Dude, I don't know. It'll take some time."

"What's your guesstimate?"

"Dude, I don't know."

"No need to get snappy. I was just asking." I half-heartedly threw the tennis ball at his head.

I picked Max up from work at 10:30 and drove him home. Max's curfew was eleven so we fooled around in my car for a bit. I will say, making out with Max was fun. The only problem was he wouldn't allow any wandering hands. Every time I tried to take it farther, he'd pull away and I'd apologize and pretend like I respected him or whatever.

"Well, I gotta go." Max said eventually. I ignored him and began kissing his neck. "Ronnie, seriously." He laughed, gently pushing at my chest. "It's already ten after."

"Fine. I'll walk you up."

I took the keys out of the ignition and followed Max up to his apartment. We stopped outside his door so he could get out his keys.

"So, can we do something tomorrow?" I asked.

"Well, I have work tomorrow from seven to noon." He said.

"If you want, I can pick you up and we can go out to eat somewhere."

The words came out of my mouth before I could stop them. Now I have to wake up before noon on a Sunday. Fuck me.

Unfortunately, Max seemed to like my suggestion. "Alright. See you tomorrow."

He got on his tippy toes to give me a quick kiss then disappeared inside.

I stared at the door, cursing to myself.

~~~

Max and I didn't do much that next day. I picked him up from work at noon, (Which sucked, by the way) and took him out for burgers. And after that we basically just drove around town.

There wasn't much to do here and we didn't have a lot of option.

Late afternoon, around four, we stopped at Starbucks, which was also attached to a book store. Max's friend Craig, a short, goat-looking kid with jacked up teeth, was working the counter. I'd seen him around school with Max a few times and he was annoying as fuck.

He was a shit-talking prick that had no balls to back it up. More than once I'd heard he'd been running his mouth about me and a couple friends of mine but every time I confronted him, he'd deny it.

Last year I got sick of it and laid him out. He hasn't said a word to or about me since. I didn't feel bad about beating the crap out of him because he deserved it. I never even said a word to the guy yet he was talking about me like he knew me. So I just gave him something to talk about.

"Hey, Craig." Max said happily. Max, as far as I know, wasn't friends with Craig when I kicked his ass so I doubt he knew what happened.

"Hey, Craig." I mocked, giving him a small wave. He ignored me.

"Hey, Max. The usual?"

"Yep."

"Alright." Craig looked with at me with a scowl. "What do you want, Ronnie?

He spat my name out like it left a bad taste in his mouth. Max looked between us questionably.

"Oh, do you guys know each other?" He asked.

"We had a little trouble last year." I turned to Craig. "Just a french roast. Max, I'm going to find a seat."

"Oh, ok" Max sounded confused. I gave Max enough money to cover both of us and sat down at the table furthest from the counter, but not completely out of view.

I saw Craig talking harshly to Max as he made our drinks. It was too noisy in here for me to hear what he was saying but I could partially read his lips. I made out the words "Crazy" accompanied by frantic hand gestures, and "Psycho," followed by a glance in my direction.

He was telling Max what happened. But I bet he'll accidentally leave out the part where he talked shit about me for no reason.

Craig's mouth formed the word "Boyfriend!" and he gave Max an incredulous look as he help up our drinks. Max said something, shrugged, and grabbed the cups. I kept my sights on Craig as Max walked over. Craig shot a nasty glare my way and I simply smirked.

Max sat in his seat across from me, placing our coffees on the table. I knew Craig was still watching us so, just to piss him off, I kissed Max full on the lips.

"Craig told me what happened." Max said after we separated. "Is it true?"

"That I kicked his ass? Yeah. But it's also true that he was talking shit about me and my friends when I didn't even know him."

I took a long sip from my drink, trying not to think about the burning as it went down my throat.

"Oh, he didn't mention that." Max said, twirling his straw around.

"Figured he'd conveniently leave out that little detail."

"Well what did he say to get you so pissed off?"

"He was saying crap like how I was an asshole and a drug dealer and stuff like that."

Of course, those were both very much true but I didn't want some kid running his mouth when he hadn't even met me.

"Yeah, so no offence but your friend is a prick."

Max laughed, sipping at his drink. "Yeah, I know."

My phone vibrated in my pocket and I didn't need to check the name to know it was Nason.

"How's it going? Are you guys still driving around? Has he mentioned me?"

"Nase, I'm not sure how this plan is going to work if you're texting me every five minutes."

I shoved my phone back into my pocket, Max and I finished our coffees, making small talk about nothing really. Well, Max was doing all the talking. I was only halfway listening. Occasionally I'd give him a "Mhm" so he wouldn't think I was ignoring him.

Just before we left, he excused himself to the restroom. I tossed our empty cups into the trashcan and sauntered over to the counter. Might as well get my money's worth for the overpriced coffee and bother the shit out of Craig.

"How's it going, Mabbitt?" I asked, leaning on the glass counter.

"Leave me alone. I'm working."

"How do you know I don't want something?" I said. "Maybe I wanted to get Max a muffin."

Craig raised a condescending eyebrow at me. "Listen, Radke. I know you're up to something. You can cut the innocent guy act. You don't do relationships. You only fuck then bail."

I wasn't smiling anymore. I straightened up to look him in the eyes. "You don't know me, Craig. So don't act like you do." If we weren't in a public place, I'd kick his ass all over again.

"I do know that all you're going to do it hurt Max. Just like your dick-head friend Nason did."

"I really like, Max. Ok?" Lie "The last thing I want to do it hurt him." Lie "I want for him to be happy just as much as you do." Lie

"You're so full of it, Ronnie. I know you don't care about Max. All you care about is yourself and your drugs. Max is my best friend and I'm not going to sit back and watch you fuck with his emotions. He's got enough to deal with and he doesn't need you making it worse."

The tension in the air was thick as we stared at each other. I had to be careful with Craig. Him and Max were best friends and he could probably talk Max out of dating me if he really tried. I had to work fast and get Max to fall for me before Craig fucked it up.

Max walked over to us, ending the impromptu staring contest.

"Come on, Max." I said, taking his hand.

"Oh, ok. Bye, Craig."

"Text me later, Max." Craig called as we were leaving. "I gotta talk to you."

"So where to now?" I asked, starting up the car.

"Actually, I gotta get home." He said.

"What? Why? Is it because of what Craig told you?" If that asshole ruined this already...

"No, no." Max said, laughing a little. "I just have a shit tone of homework to finish."

"It's not even five!"

"I have to work on my science fair project too."

"Science fair?"

God, I knew Max was smart but I didn't think he was a full blown geek! How the hell were he and Nason together? Sure, Max was hot but the science fair? Good lord! Nason had to repeat fucking kindergarten!

Well, I guess the question is not why Nason dated Max, but why Max dated Nason. For a smart guy that was a dumb move.

"Well, I guess I'll see you tomorrow." I said as I came to a stop outside his building. I turned off the car. "Do you want me to pick you up in the morning?"

"Yeah, thanks."

I walked him up to his door. I know we've only been dating for like two days but I needed to relationship thing to speed up. I was already sick of waiting.

"So, since it's so early, would it be ok if I came inside?" I grabbed Max's hips, pulling him closer and kissing his neck.

"Ronnie..."

"Come on, babe."

"No."

He squirmed free of my grasp and unlocked his door.

"But I have to piss." It was my last resort but it worked. Max smirked at me and shook his head.

"Fine, come in."

He allowed my inside, once again forcing me to take off my shoes.

The same man was sat on the couch fast asleep. A rottweiler was on the floor in front of him whose head perked up as we walked in.

Max snuck me past the man to the bathroom. This time I actually didn't have to go but I pretended to then rejoined Max in the hall.

"So, I'll see you tomorrow then, yeah?" He said quietly.

"I'm already in. Why can't I stay a while?" I replied in the same soft tone.

"Because, I-"

"Maxwell!" A deep voice called. "Who the hell are you talking to?" The man from the couch had woken and now entered the hallway. "Oh, I don't recall you asking to have a friend over. In fact, I don't even remember agreeing."

"Sir, I-"

"Shut up."

Max tensed. I studied the man briefly. He didn't look like a very fun guy to be around. He was a clean shaved guy, except for a tiny soul patch. His hair was shaved in a buzz cut and it seemed like he had this permanent angry look on his ugly face.

I knew he was going to try and get me to leave but I wasn't going to let that happen.

"I'm just here to help Max with his project." I lied smoothly.

"You?" The man said doubtfully. "You think you can help Max?"

The way he said it, and the way he looked at me like I was trash, pissed me off.

"What is that supposed to mean?" I asked harshly.

"Ronnie." Max said in a hushed warning.

"I'm sorry, Ronnie, but you just don't strike me as the intelligent type."

"Well, I'll have you know I just got accepted into Stanford."

"Really?" He said skeptically. "What are you going to major in?"

"Chemical engineering." I said the first thing that popped into my head. That sounded smart right?

"Oh, well my mistake." He cleared his throat and gave Max a look. "He needs to be gone by supper. Is that clear?"

"Yes, sir."

The man retreated back to the living room. Max sighed and opened the door to what I guessed was he bedroom.

It was, like the rest of the house, spotless. No clothes on the floor, the bed was made, and everything was in it's place. I bet he folded his underwear too. The only thing that set the room apart from the rest was how it was decorated. Tons of band and movie posters littered the walls. Three guitar cases, acoustic, electric, and bass were leaned against the wall adjacent to his bed next to a book case which, not surprisingly, was filled. (Probably alphabetized) Against the other wall was a desk which had a bunch of crap piled on it.

Finally! Something that wasn't in perfect order.

"What is all this shit?" I asked, wandering over to the desk.

"Science fair supplies." Max answered.

A ruler, tape, tiny light bulbs, wood, cups, food coloring, some kind of test tube? What the hell could he possibly be doing?

"I'm making a spectrophotometer with a cell phone." Max said. I stared blankly. "Researchers use them to measure the transmittance or reflectance of solutions or determine the equilibrium constant. Stuff like that."

I blinked. Was he even speaking English anymore?

"It measures intensity of light." Max laughed and picked up this weird, rainbow thing that had little measurements on it. It said something like "Linear diffraction grating" on it.

"The light we see is electromagnetic radiation, which is just energy in the form of electric and magnetic fields that move through space as waves. It also manifests in X-rays and microwaves and such."

All of this information was making my brain hurt. Literally. Max laughed again, but awkwardly and put down the grating thing. He looked embarrassed.

"Sorry, I know you don't really care."

"It's not that I don't care. I just have no clue about anything you're talking about." It wasn't a complete lie. I may not care but I was a little curious.

Max sat down on his bed, folding his hands neatly in his lap. I changed the subject.

"So, your dad's kinda a dick."

"Step-dad." Max corrected. "And I know. The general hates when I have people over."

I sat next to him on the bed. He looked deep in thought, troubled almost.

Perfect! Now I can play the good boyfriend roll and console him. And by that I mean nail him.

I kissed him roughly, forcing him onto his back as I hovered over him. He responded immediately, much to my delight. I don't know what it is about sad people, but they were always the most willing to go farther.

I tried to take it slow, not wanting to seen pushy or desperate, but soon I became too impatient. I sat up and pulled at the hem of his shirt.

"Ronnie... I- we can't." I smirked down at his flushed appearance.

"Why not?"

"My step-dad."

I climbed off of Max and locked the door.

"There. Problem solved." Max still looked unsure but I proceeded to remove his shirt along with my own.

Max stared at my chest, lust clear in his eyes. I had a bangin' body and I knew it and I wasn't afraid to show it off. I didn't want to be like those lanky, skeletal looking drug dealer I'd seen so I worked out a lot.

Max obviously liked what he saw and pulled me down on top of him, connecting our lips once again.

This was going better than I'd hoped. I knew I could get Max into bed but I thought he'd be a lot more tentative about it. This was going swimmingly.

Max allowed me to mark his neck and chest up with hickeys. I remembered Nason saying Max liked it rough.

Well, I did too.

This was going to be fun.
♠ ♠ ♠
I should probably get this out of the way right now. There will not be a lot of smut in this story. Me being a lesbian makes it really hard to write it so I won't even attempt it anymore. So if you're looking for a lot of detailed sex scenes... sorry.

I feel like I'm forgetting something... oh well.

Thanks everyone for commenting, subscribing, recommending, and even just reading. It's good to know people dig this.