One Way Ticket

I kn-kn-know a girl

Text from Kaner:
Damnit Jonny, answer your phone for fucking once.

Text to Kaner:
Helping my brother get married, you little shit. Can't exactly talk.

Text from Kaner:
Are you at least following the draft?

Text to Kaner:
Coach is texting me with updates whenever he gets a chance.

Text from Kaner:
And when did you last hear from him?

Text to Kaner:
At pick 20 or something. Our pick was coming up so I assumed he'd be too busy to text again anytime soon.

Text from Kaner:
So you don't know who we got yet?

Text to Kaner:
Are you gonna stop being a douche and just tell me?

Text from Kaner:
You know Marceline Cormier right?


The phone nearly fell from Jonny's hands after that. His eyes widened and his jaw slacked out of pure shock.

"You okay, man?" Jonny's brother, David, questioned from next to him. They were sitting in David's childhood bedroom, preparing for the younger man's wedding that was to take place just outside in the backyard David and Jonny had growing up. "You can't get nervous. It's my day, I get to be nervous."

"Marc got drafted," Jonny muttered without even realizing he was speaking.

"Marc who?"

"Cormier."

"Oh shit..." David trailed off, not knowing how to react.

Marceline Cormier was a childhood family friend of the Toews family. She was Jonny and David's mother's best friend's daughter. Talk about degrees of separation. But Jonny and David had grown up seeing this girl as their younger sister. They weren't nearly as close anymore since the boys had gone off and started making lives for themselves. Apparently Marceline had been doing the same seeing as she got herself drafted into the NHL.

This wasn't new by any means. Women have been part of the NHL for a couple of years now, but there still weren't that many of them. Maybe fifteen total throughout the league. Jonny had actually already experienced having a female teammate, the first year in which women playing became a legitimate thing. She only played one year with the Blackhawks before signing a long term contract with the Sharks out in California.

But Marc was something special; making a name for herself as something huge before even pulling her new Blackhawks sweater over her head.

She was the first female to be drafted in the first round.

It didn't matter that it was the last pick of the round. Thirtieth overall pick was still record breaking and a huge ass deal.

"Mama!" David yelled out the bedroom door, his voice echoing through the rest of the house. "Come quick!" The boys had never seen their mother fly through the house so quickly.

"What's wrong, sweetheart? Is everything okay? You aren't getting cold feet are you?" Questions were come from her a million miles a second as concern took over her face. Typical mother mode.

"Breathe, Ma. Everything's perfect. I'm not going anywhere."

"Then why give me a heart attack?" She joked and slapped at David's arm a couple times. "What's wrong with that one?" She questioned, gesturing in Jonny's direction. Ever the subtle woman. "You're paler than ever, hun."

"Marc," was all Jonny could utter in his shocked state.

"Did she get drafted?!" Their mother practically squeaked without missing a single beat. "I haven't heard from Julianne yet, but I knew Marc was gonna get picked up!"

Jonny's eyes were just short of popping out of his head when he made eye contact with his mother for the first time since she entered the room.

"You knew about this? And didn't tell me?" Jonny asked, sounding more and more offended with every word.

"Relax, hun. I thought you already knew. Where did she end up?"

"She's with me," Jonny answered and just sat there, wiping his hand down his face, trying to wrap his mind around how he was feeling about the whole situation.

"Oh wow..." David muttered. Jonny hadn't told him that bit of new yet.

"That's so exciting, hun! I couldn't imagine anything more wonderful! Text her or call her or something to congratulate her. And send her my love," their mother order Jonny before leaving the room to just the two brothers again.

Jonny looked at his phone that was still in his hands, scrolled through his contacts to a number he hasn't even looked at in who knows how long, and began to type out a message.

Text to Marc Cormier:
Welcome to the Blackhawks family, Marc. I can't wait to see you and help you get adjusted. My family wanted to let you know how proud they are if you.


A response came back surprisingly quickly for a girl that just got drafted and had a million and one things to do.

Text from Marc Cormier:
Hey stranger! I'm so happy to hear from you! Tell everyone thanks a dozen tons and tell David I'm sorry I couldn't be there for his wedding. I'll see you all really soon!


And just like that, Jonny knew exactly how he felt about Marc coming back into his life. Apparently things were going to be picked up right where they were left off between them, so Jonny couldn't be happier to be getting one of his best friends back.

Jonny put his phone down next to him on the bed and turned his attention back to his brother so they could return to preparing for the wedding ceremony. David was sitting there, attached to his phone with an amused look on his face.

"What's that smirk for?" Jonny asked, laughing at his younger brother. David just handed Jonny his phone so he could see for himself.

Text to Marc Cormier:
I believe congratulations are in order, miss first round superstar.

Text from Marc Cormier:
Looks like my name has gotten longer since the last time we talked.


Jonny paused to wonder when the last time David and Marc talked. Jonny hadn't talked to her since he won the Stanley Cup back in 2010. When he got his day with the cup he had a huge party with all his friends and family, so of course Marc was there. But just because he hadn't talked to Marc in three years, doesn't mean that David had gone that long as well.

Text to Marc Cormier:
Yeah, I thought spotlight stealing whore of a superstar was a bit much for right now. I'll get on your case about taking my day away from me later.

Text from Marc Cormier:
Who plans a wedding on draft day anyway? This is your own fault, you should have known better.

Text to Marc Cormier:
Kelsey set the date, she's not really a huge hockey nut.

Text from Marc Cormier:
Yuck! Cringe. Twitch. You definitely know better than that, Davy.

Text to Marc Cormier:
You'll love her when you meet her.

Text from Marc Cormier:
I'm sure I will...you've always had excellent taste in women ;P


Jonny nearly choked on air at that one. It was pretty well known that David had this pretty big crush on Marc growing up. They had kissed a handful of times in their early teenage years, but no relationship came from it. Jonny didn't think Marc had the nerve to bring that up on David's wedding day. He should have know never to under estimate her.

Text to Marc Cormier:
Whatever you say, superstar. Come visit as soon as you're done in Jersey.

Text from Marc Cormier:
As if Andree and Bryon would give me any other choice. It's my turn for pictures, so I'll talk to you later.

Text to Marc Cormier:
Smile pretty.

Text from Marc Cormier:
Marry good.


With that, the brother's returned to preparing for the wedding so David could indeed "marry good".
♠ ♠ ♠
Aaaaaaaaaaaand I'm starting another story. Why do I even do this to myself :P

Anyway! I hope people enjoy this story! It's my first Blackhawks story! Yay!! And I have the completely awful obsession with Brandon Saad..even though he wasn't in this first chapter, this is his story..with a side of Jonny :)

Comments are thoroughly appreciated. I love any kind of feedback you wanna give me! Thanks so much for reading!

Megan :D