Status: Unsure if I should continue to post chapters of this story, feel free to message me if you're interested and I will continue it, it is still very much a WIP.

Chanson de l'Océan

The Hallucination

Sand in his toes as he shuffled along on the sand, Seth let out a heavy sigh. The half-naked teen walking alongside the waves on the beach stumbled and glanced back towards where he came.

The lights of the beach house were lost against the dark night sky and the sounds of laughing, yelling, and music rang through the air. The sound of the party enticed the teen and he wanted to turn and rejoin his friends but he knew when enough was enough and as he felt his thoughts grow fuzzy and his skin grow hot, he knew he had had enough.

The humidity of the Salacian beach wrapped around the muscularly built figure and rested on his skin like the fabrics of a shirt. He found himself moving towards the cold ocean waves lapping at the sand but thought better of it and plopped down in front of them, just enough so his toes would get chilled as the tide came in.

Seth laid back and looked to the sky expectantly as his unfocused eyes tried to see through the vast sky of black to the stars. He could only see the small spots that stars were and almost silently, with a hiccup he thought he could reach out and touch them. Of course those were simply the delusions of a drunken teenager but those thoughts didn’t cross his mind. Nothing crossed his mind until a cry, almost soft as a whisper made its way to his ears. He was unsure if he was hearing things or if the soft call was real but the boy’s interest was piqued and he slowly rolled onto his feet and moved towards the sound.

Ignorant as the boy was he was eager to find this voice that called to him and staggered along the beach. As he came upon a shallow pool in which the ocean water flowed he looked about the area and his breath hitched. The water there was just barely deep enough to duck under and swim but along the rocks he could see the outline of what seemed to be a young woman.

Although he could not make out much about her, he saw her hair was wet and stuck to her skin. Eyes closed, she did not see Seth but he saw her and saw her lips moving, realizing it was her that was singing. He could only stare at the young girl in the pool and as his eyes moved to look at her small body, from her chest down to her hips and onwards Seth’s eyes widened and a sound of disbelief left his lips. Dark eyes like a storm opened and the girl turned her head to look at the gaping male, the song from her lips ending abruptly. From her midriff, what he believed with his intoxicated mind to be discolored skin, silvery scales laid translucent on her body until they layered over each other and stuck together over her one appendage, a tail. He did not notice the long wound disturbing the pattern of her scales or the way the water looked pick, nor her shallow breathing and as his mind failed to process what he saw, Seth turned and moved away from the illusion he did not believe possible to see. Seth thought he could hear a sorrow in her voice as the whispers of a song murmured softly in the back of his head but he did not look back.