Unexpected Love

One and Done.

Patrick's been lost, ever since he moved to Chicago all by himself a few years ago, to fulfill his dream. He knows his mistakes, and he continues to make them and he can't seem to please everybody. He doesn't know much, but there is one thing he is definitely sure about; or Someone.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

“But just friends don’t look at each other like that” These wise words from Patrick’s teammate, Jon kept running through his head continuously in the morning, when he woke up from the shining morning light beaming in his window. Patrick kept thinking of his conversation that he had with Jon about Katie, that had led up to this result.

Patrick looked down at his beautiful best friend laying beside him, under the same covers they were sharing.

“What have I done?” He asked himself in his head with an unsatisfied frown, knowing any minute she would be waking up, and he would have to face his consequence.

He scooted out of bed, and slipped on shorts, hurrying to the kitchen to at least cook a nice breakfast for Katie. Patrick set out plates on the table, and started cooking away but turned when he heard footsteps, and Katie appeared at the door with her arms crossed and she was zipped back up into her dress from the night before.

“So we’re we both drunk or did you just happen to take advantage of me?” She asked harshly.

Patrick was taken back by her forceful attitude, but he had always loved the bossy side to her, it made him secretly turned on.

“You know I would never take advantage of you. You’re my best friend, and I care about you more than any girl ever.” The words finally come from his lips. “You were drunk, I was drunk. It happened, but it wasn’t a mistake. I don’t want you mad at me.” He added when she is kept completely silent and Patrick panicked on the inside.
“If it was an accident, I guess then I can’t be mad, Pat.” Katie sighed out loudly and takes a seat at the counter.

When relief showed on his face, she spoke once more. “But it doesn’t mean I’m necessarily happy it happened. I am definitely not happy it happened.” She firmly told him. “And...Steve..what if he finds out?” She covered her face, and her big gaudy engagement stuck out like a sore thumb.

“Forget, Steve. He treats you like shit anyway.” Patrick mumbled, rolling his eyes and he stormed over to her wiggling the ring off of her finger.

“What are you doing?! Give me that!” Katie angrily scowled reaching for her ring.

“Last night happened for a reason, I’m telling you! We both were wasted and we had to have some kind of attraction to each other am I right?” Patrick pointed out and held the rind behind his back, far out of her reach.

“Or we were two drunk idiots, that had no idea what we were doing.” She rolled her eyes, yelling at him in frustration.”Come on Pat, stop being stupid give me my ring!”

“But I don’t want to, can’t you see? I hate Steve! I despise him for treating you horrible and hurting you!” Patrick rebuddled in a shout, to get her to listen. “...but more importantly for taking any chance I had away from me.” He quieted down his voice, looking at her with heartbroken eyes.

“Wait what?” Her head shot up. “You’re saying you’re actually interested in me? Mr. money bags? Mr. player? You’ve gotten with half chicago.” She scoffed disapproving.

“But none of those girls i’ve personally known or cared about. I would treat you differently, because I love you, Katie and it’s not just in a friend way. I’m in love with you, and I have been for the longest time.” He looked away, down to his feet.

“I can’t believe what you’re saying right now! Are you still a little tipsy? You don’t know the meaning of love, you’ve never been in love. If this is your little act to save our friendship, I said I’m not mad!” Katie reminded Patrick.

“I know what love is, because I’m in love with you!” He repeated, and stepped back away from her.

“I’m sorry I have to go. Steve is probably so worried.” She stood to her feet.

“You’re going to pretend like you never felt anything too?” He shook his head hurt, and in disbelief.
“I-uhhh-I-uhm” She murmured, not being able to find words, and tears filled her eyes.

“You know we’re meant for each other! You know we’re in love, you’re just afraid to admit it. You’re afraid to hurt Steve, you’re being to nice just face the truth!” Patrick shouted and she loudly cried out, constant tears running down from her eyes. “I have always been there for you, so how I treated those women doesn’t matter because I want you, just listen to me!” He finally stopped talking, only to pull her into his arms and kiss her passionately. The kisses replaced her loud cries, and one thing led to another. That day they ended up making love like they have been wanting to for years, and this time for them to remember.