Status: Complete

When Worlds Collide: Book Three, Fire

Thirteen

/////Sam's POV\\\\\
The next couple of days after the play, I didn't leave my room much. My friends reassuances echoed in my mind, but I couldn't bring myself to believe them anymore.
"I find it amusing that you think I'm giving a choice. As long as you are in Fire Nation clutches, you are on our side."
The Fire Lords words seemed to get louder in my head. But I'm not in his clutches, I tried convincing myself.
No, but I'm still in the Fire Nation. Heck, we were hiding in the Fire Lords own home. Were there technicalities in this legend thing?
Back at the palace, I was convinced that because I wasn't mentally on the Fire Nations side, I was evading them somehow. But... what if I wasn't? Azula and Ozai were so convinced that they would win. They knew about my abilities before anyone else. Even Iroh didn't have a clue. What else did they know? Did they have a back up plan? A hidden Ace?
"If you keep worrying about it, you'll go mad."
I jumped, turning to see Zuko standing in the doorway. "How long have you-?"
"Long enough to see that you're really freaked by the play," he said, and walked in, sitting on the floor across from me.
"I'm that obvious, huh?" I muttered.
"We've seen you sick before, remember?" he smirked.
I winced. "Didn't buy it?"
Zuko shook his head, and took my hand in his. "Do you want to go for a walk?"
"I can give you plenty reasons why we shouldn't," I told him, looking out the window. "One: we're in the middle of a war, and two: we're kind of on the Fire Nations most wanted."
"And?" he prodded.
"Do you need an 'and?' I think I'd rather stay in my room all day than risk being caught." I pulled my hand from his, and hung my head. "I can't be caught. Azula said whoever has me, wins the war. Zuko, I can't be the deciding factor. I can't."
My voice had lowered to a whisper, and my lip was trembling.
Zuko sighed, and took my hand again. He waited until I was looking at him before he began speaking. "The whole time Azula and my father tried to get you on their side, you fought against them. You were never 'theirs.' Physically, you were in the Fire Nation, but mentally and emotionally, you were here, with Aang, Katara, Sokka and Toph. You always said you were Team Avatar, right?"
A laugh escaped me, and he smiled in return. "I'm willing to risk being caught if you are."
"Okay," I agreed. "If you can get Katara and Sokka to let us go without the both of them throwing a huge hissy fit, then I'll go with you into town."
"Already done," he smirked, and pulled me up so I was standing. I was shocked, but didn't argue.
After we donned our cloaks we left the house, we set off to the market. Apparently, the only way Zuko had convinced Katara to let us set off on our own was with a promise of shopping. Zuko had the list, as I couldn't read it, and I carried a small purse with Fire Nation currency. Which made no sense to me, as I didn't know the currency either.
"You know something odd?" I questioned. "I offered to teach the others how to read and write in my language, and here I am completely clueless to this world. How stupid is that?"
Zuko raised his eyebrow and tangled his fingers through mine. "You went to school, didn't you? You had to have learned something."
"I went for approximately two, maybe three weeks," I reminded. "Even then, I spent most of my time doing my best to get on the teachers nerves."
Thinking back, I was a pretty awful person during my time in the Fire Nation. Sure, after a while, I warmed up to a few of the servants and I stopped breaking plates, but that was pretty awful behavior.
"Maybe you should have paid attention," Zuko smirked.
"Maybe I'll enroll again, after this war is over," I thought aloud. "I mean, I'll have to find something to do."
Zuko took my hand in his. "Do you think... Do you think you'll ever find a way to go back to your world?"
My steps faltered, and I glanced quickly at the Firebender. "I think whatever happens, happens," I said slowly. "I won't go looking for a way back, but if a worm hole suddenly appears, I... I think I would stay here."
Zuko's grip on my hand tightened, and I smiled at him. "So, you would willingly go back to school?" he teased.
Laughing, I shoved his shoulder lightly. "Well, I have to something to do. I can't just stick around and annoy you guys for the rest of my life."
"You don't annoy me," Zuko said. "You're welcome to stay as long as you want."
Blushing, I turned my gaze to the ground. "You know, if you think about when we first met... We've come a long way, considering we couldn't stand each other."
"What was it you cursed me with?" Zuko asked, furrowing his brow. "A... Lego?"
My head fell back in laughter, and had to grasp onto Zuko for support. "That's so embarrassing... I don't even remember what a Lego is."
"I believe you described it as being 'the most painful thing ever.'" Zuko smirked at my flushing cheeks, and quickly ducked down to peck me on the cheek.
I looped my arm through his, and smiled widely. "Thank you," I told him. "For everything. For saving me when I first got here, for not leaving me even when I got on your last nerve."
"Well, I did think about throwing you overboard a few times...," Zuko trailed off, smirking, and I playfully hit his shoulder.
"Well, aren't you Prince Charming?" I muttered.
"Who?"
"Other wordly humor," I smiled, and dragged him the rest of the way to the market place.
Zuko's smile was more honest than I had seen in days, and I felt as though a giant weight had been lifted off of my shoulders. He and the others had been right. I just needed some fresh air and friends to help clear my mind.
♠ ♠ ♠
So, uh, I've been updating like crazy over on Wattpad, and it just occured to me that I haven't posted anything on Mibba.
Oops.
So, here's chapter thirteen and here in the next few minutes, you'll get chapters fourteen, fifteen, and sixteen.