Status: Complete

When Worlds Collide: Book Three, Fire

Fourteen

/////Sam's POV\\\\\
Sitting on the porch of the house, Sokka, Sukki, Toph and I watched Zuko and Aang train. I pulled my hair out of its ponytail, ignoring the massive bump that more than likely creased my head. I was sweating from my own training session with Katara and Zuko. They thought it was a good idea to push my abilities further, and bend both elements at the same time.
I was mentally and physically exhausted, and I honestly never wanted to do that again.
"More ferocious," Zuko demanded. "Imagine striking through your openants heart." I winced at his words.
Zuko was a wonderful teacher, and Aang really excelled at fire bending, but Zuko's... examples... weren't the best.
Aang growled. "I'm trying."
Zuko ignored him. "Now let me hear you roar like a tigerdillo!"
While Aang gave a weak and feeble roar, I leaned towards Sukki. "What the heck is a tigerdillo?"
"Big cat, tough shell thingy," Sokka answered instead.
I glared. "You know, I asked Sukki because she actually explains things. Is it just a tiger and armidillo combined? Like a liger or tigon or something?"
"What's a tigon?" Sokka asked the same time Sukkie asked, "What's a liger?"
"Nevermind," I sighed, partly because it was confusing for all of us, and partly because I wasn't quite sure myself. The words just kind of popped out.
Aang gave another, mightier roar, and flames flew into the air. Momo ran to hide behind Zukos legs, who nodded in approval.
Katara came out of the house then, with a tray in hand. "What wants a nice cool glass of watermelon juice?"
"Ooh!" Aang gasped, spinning around. "Me, me, me!" He started running, but Zuko grabbed him by the collar.
"Hey, your lessons not over yet," Zuko told him. "Get back here!" The monks feet didn't touch the ground as Zuko held him by the scruff, and I giggled.
"Come on, Zuko," Sukki sighed. "Just take a break. What's the big deal?"
"Fine," Zuko sighed, letting Aang go, and crossing his arms. "If you want to lounge around like a bunch of snail-sloths all day, then go ahead." He started walking away before I could ask what a snail-sloth was.
"Maybe Zuko's right," Sokka said, sitting up. "Sitting around the house has made us pretty lazy. I know just the thing to change that..." He stood up, ripping off his shirt to reveal his bathing suit. "Beach party!"
The idea of the ocean made me uneasy, and I thought about going after Zuko to make him come with me, but the others managed to make me come anyway.
Fifteen minutes later, I found myself dressed in a similar swim suit to the one I wore on my first trip to Ember Island, and I lay out on the sand next to Sukki. Katara was surfing, Aang was making a sand sculpture, and Sokka was making... something. Toph stood off to the side, testing different stances, and I saw the sand shift with each movement the earth bender made.
When Aang showed off his replica of Appa, Toph stomped her feet, and a perfect scale model of Be Sing Se appeared in the sand.
"Try and top that, Sokka," Toph challenged, and after adding a few finishing touches, Sokka spun around.
"Ta-da!" he cheered, showing off his creation.
"Is that a... blubbering blob monster?" Aang asked, and I wasn't sure if it was a real thing or not, but it certainly fit the description.
"No, it's Sukki!"
Toph, Aang and I burst up laughing, and Sokka scowled.
"Sukki, we'll all understand if you break with him over this," Toph chuckled.
"I think it's sweet," she sighed, and Sokka flew over to kiss her cheek.
"But it doesn't even look like y-"
The Sand Sukki exploded, and the five of us reeled back as sand flew through the air. Zuko jumped down onto the beach, and Aang had to dive over Tophs model of Be Sing Se.
"What are you doing?" Aang demaned, hiding behind the sand Appa.
"Teaching you a lesson," Zuko growled, throwing another fire ball.
"Zuko, stop!" I shouted, but he was already chasing after Aang who had made a beeline for the house.
"What happened?" Katara asked, surfing back to shore.
"Zuko's gone crazy!" Sokka shouted. "I made a sand sculpture of Sukki, and he destroyed it."
I whopped him on the back of the head, and glared.
"Oh, and he's attacking Aang."
I huffed, and started running after them, the others on my heel. With each step, we could see the carnage the two had made, and when we finally reached the house, Zuko was blasted out, and landing on some bushes.
"What's wrong with you?" Katara demanded, as I kneeled down to help him up. "You could have hurt Aang."
"What's wrong with me?" Zuko asked, ignoring my offered hand. "What's wrong with all of you? How can you sit around having beach parties when Sozin's Comet is only three days away?"
Of course. Zuko had been complaining about the teams lack of enthusiasm for the last several days. I should have known he would blow up sooner or later, I should have talked to my friends before it happened.
"Why are you all looking at me like I'm crazy?" Zuko asked, and I looked to see that... yeah. They looked guilty, and they were all avoiding eye contact.
Aang was the first to speak. "Yeah... about Sozins Comet," he started, "I was actually going to wait to fight the Fire Lord until after it came."
Zuko blanched. "After?"
"I'm not ready," Aang admitted. "I need more time to master Firebending."
"And frankly, your Earthbending could still use some work, too," Toph piped up.
"So... you all knew Aang was gonna wait?" Zuko asked, sending me a soft glare.
I shook my head rapidly. "This is a shock to me, too."
"Honestly, if Aang tries to fight the Fire Lord right now, he's gonna lose," Sokka stated. Upon seeing Aangs glare, he shrugged. "No offense."
"The whole point of fighting the Fire Lord before the comet was to stop the Fire Nation from winning the war. But they pretty much won the war when they took Be Sing Se. Things can't get any worse."
I winced, and Zuko dropped his head.
"You're wrong," he said softly, and turned away. "It's about to get worse than you can even imagine. The day before the Eclipse, my father asked me to attend an important war meeting. It was what I dreamed about and wanted for so many years. My father had finally accepted me back." Zuko went on to describe the war meeting, sharing the Fire Lords plans of destroying the Earth Kingdom and becoming the ruler of both nations. "I wanted to speak out against his horrifying plan. But I'm ashamed to say I didn't. My whole life, I struggled to gain my fathers love and acceptance... But once I had it, I realized I lost myself getting there. I had forgotten who I was."
Zuko had sat down somewhere in his speech, and Katara collapsed. I grabbed her arm, and gently lowered her. The Waterbenders hand found her forehead, and I could clearly see the shock on her features.
"I can't believe this," she breathed.
Sokka put his arm around Sukki, and I could tell his for him as well as his girlfriend. "I always knew the Fire Lord was a bad guy, but his plan is just pure evil."
"What am I gonna do?" Aang asked.
Zuko stood, and approached the monk. "I know you're scared, and you're not ready to save the world," he told Aang, "but if you don't defeat the Fire Lord before the comet comes, there won't be a world to save anymore."
Aang gripped his head, and fear climbed into his eyes. After a few moments, I watched the fear turn to anger. "Why didn't you tell me about your dads crazy plan sooner?" he demanded.
"I didn't think I had to," Zuko defended. "I assumed you were still gonna fight him before the comet. No one told me you decided to wait."
"This is bad," the Avatar muttered, and fell to his knees with his hands covering his face. "This is really, really bad."
"Aang, you don't have to do this alone," Katara told him.
"You're crazy to think you were," I smirked, raising my eyebrows.
"Together, we got a shot at taking him down," Toph agreed.
Sokka cheered. "Alright! Team Avatar is back:Air. Water. Earth. Fire. Weird legend thing. Fan and sword!" He pushed leaves into Sukki's hands, and raised his own branch in emphasis.
"Fighting the Fire Lord is going to be the hardest thing we've ever done together," Aang admitted. "But I wouldn't want to do it any other way."
I clapped excitedly and rushed to hug the monk tightly. The others joined, and when I glanced up, I noticed Zuko was standing awkwardly to the side.
Katara noticed as well, and she smiled. "Get over here, Zuko," she told him. "Being part of the group also means being part of the group hugs."
He grumbled a bit, and I rolled my eyes. When he took a cautious step forward, I reached out and grabbed his hand, yanking him closer. There was a soft growl behind us, and I looked up, seeing Appa and Momo. The giant sky bison on top of us, and I laughed as I was pinned under the fluffy monster.
We could do this. Defeat the Fire Lord? Psh.
/////\\\\\
"Gather 'round, Team Avatar," Sokka called. "In order to take out the Fire Lord - or, in this case, the Melon Lord - our timing has to be perfect." The strategist picked up a stick and began drawing the battle plan in the dirt. "First, Sukki and I will draw his fire. Then, Katara, Sam, and Zuko charge in with some liquid-y hot offense, and while the Melon Lord is distracted, Aang swoops in and bam! He delivers the final blow." Aang line slashed over the Melon Lord, and I saw the kid wince.
"Uh... what about me?" Toph asked.
"For now, you're the Melon Lords forces," Sokka said.
"So I get to chuck flaming rocks at all of you?" Toph clarified.
"Whatever makes the training feel more realistic," Sokka shrugged.
"Sweetness."
We got into our places, and I had to take a few deep breaths.
It's for the greater good. It's him or the entire world. We had to do this.
Sokka gave the signal, and he and Sukki charged from their hiding place. They made it five feet before rock soldiers rose from the ground, stopping them in their tracks. They easily took them down, and moved on. A flaming boulder crash landed in front of them, which Sukki easily jumped over, but Sokka was left sprawled on the ground.
"Watch it, Toph!" he shouted.
"I am not Toph!" the girl proclaimed. "I am Melon Lord!" She cackled, and I glanced at Katara.
"You realize we'll be calling her 'Melon Lord' for the next week, right?"
"Don't remind me," she groaned.
"Enough talking," Zuko stated, and raced from our hiding spot. We instantly chased after him, dodging flying boulders. When one flaming rock landed too close for comfort, I nearly began shouting at the earthbender myself. Instead, I gritted my teeth and charged on.
A dozen or so Earth soldiers popped up from the ground, surrounding the three of us, and we stood back to back, Katara on my right, and Zuko on my left. I flipped my fans open, and attacked. Like my elements, both halves of my body opposed itself. My left controlling water and my right fire, I burned, slashed, and kicked away. In seconds, the sad excuse of an army was nothing but gravel at our feet.
We were back to running, attacking anything that got in our way.
"Now, Aang!" I heard Sokka shout, but didn't dare take my eyes off of my new target; a slightly bigger rock with distinct features of a soldier. Fire and water swirled together to drill through its chest.
A shadow passed over my head, and I risked a glance up to see Aang diving for the kill.
Only to stop a second later with his staff hovering just above the Melon Lords watermelon head.
"What are you waiting for?" Zuko called. "Take him out!"
I nudged him softly in the ribs and gave a half hearted glare.
"I can't," the monk said, almost too quiet for me to hear.
Sokka huffed, and marched up the rocky slope. "What's wrong with you?" he asked. "If this was the real deal, you'd be shot full of lightning right now."
"I'm sorry," Aang said, "but it just didn't feel right. I didn't feel like myself."
Silently, Sokka unsheathed his sword. In one, fatal swipe, the watermelon posing as a skull was sliced in half, falling to Aang's feet. The boy winced, and I forced myself to not bat an eye.
"That's how it's done," Sokka stated, and walked away.
/////\\\\\
"You can't be completely okay with this," I said, crossing my arms and blocking the doorway.
Sokka glared softly, but made no move to step around me. "It's war, Sam. This is the Fire Nation, the Fire Lord we're talking about it. It's him, or the world."
I winced. Those were the same words I had said to myself not two hours ago. "Fine. You may be okay with it, but what about Toph, or Aang? They're twelve years old, Sokka. They're kids!"
"You don't have to remind me how old they are," he growled. "Do you really think I want them to fight like this? If there was any other way, I would figure out how to keep them out, but I can't. I've thought this through a million times.
"Do you really think I would make Katara fight if I didn't have to? She's my sister. She should be at the South Pole, helping Gran Gran with chores, or help watching the kids. Heck, she should be at the North Pole, becoming an official waterbending master. Toph... she shouldn't be doing what she was before, but she shouldn't have to be worrying about this. Aang is the most innocent and childish of us all. He wasn't supposed to grow up this fast, to be forced into killing an evil dictator.
Sokka paused. "And you... you shouldn't even be here at all."
I blanched. "Excuse me?"
"Not like that," Sokka rushed. "I love you, you know that. You're the big sister I never new I wanted. But if I had a choice, to send you back to your old life, to one where you were safe and not in danger of being kidnapped every time you turned around, I would in a heartbeat. This isn't your fight. You should be in your own world, enjoying Summer."
I was silent. Everyone else voiced their opinions of me either staying or leaving - everyone voted on the former. Sokka was the first to tell me that he would rather me back home.
I could see his reasoning; safety, not having to grow up. For the first time, in a long time, I looked at the young boy - no, man - in front of me. Really looked at him.
The baby-ish features were long gone. The mischievous glint in his eye had died, probably a long time ago, but I was just now noticing it. His hair was longer, shabbier, and more dull. At some point, without me realizing it, the small tribe boy who spent his time playing soldier with little kids had grown up. Now he was a soldier, and instead of being bossing around little kids, he had taken charge and could be considered the leader of our small army.
I gently pulled Sokka into a hug, and again noticed something. I had always been short, and really, it shouldn't have surprised me, but Sokka was much taller than I was.
"You know what you said, about Aang growing up too fast?" I whispered. Sokka didn't reply, but I continued anyway. "He wasn't the only one."
/////\\\\\
Aang sat away from us during dinner. I had tried talking to him, but he deliberately ignored me and turned away.
Sukki convinced me to give him space.
"I have a surprise for everyone!" Katara called, stepping into the courtyard, holding a rolled up scroll.
"I knew it!" Toph cheered. "You did have a secret thing with Haru."
I snorted, and the others were dumbstruck.
"Uh... no." Katara shook her head, as if to clear it, and held out the scroll again. "I was looking for cooking pots in the attic, and I found this."
With a flick of her wrists, the scroll opened up, revealing a small, dark haired baby in a diaper.
"Look at Baby Zuko," Katara cooed. "Isn't he cute?"
I giggled, and glanced at the firebender beside me.
His eyes were closed, and he looked like he was biting his tongue.
"Oh, lighten up," Katara chided. "I'm just teasing."
"That's not me," Zuko stated. "That's my father."
A pin could have dropped a mile away, and I swear, we would have heard it.
"But he looks so sweet and innocent," Sukki tried.
"Well, that sweet little kid grew up to be a monster. And, the worst father in the history of fathers."
For the first time, Aang spoke up. "But he's still a human being."
Zuko raised an eyebrow. "You're going to defend him?" he asked.
"No," Aang rushed, and finally turned to face us. "Fire Lord Ozai is a horrible person, and the world will probably be better off without him. But there's gotta be another way."
I glanced at Sokka, and he avoided my gaze.
"Like what?" Zuko asked.
"I don't know," the Avatar sighed. "Maybe we could make big bots of glue, and then I could use glue bending to stick his arms and legs together so he can't bend anymore!" He looked so hopeful, I almost wanted to lie and say it was a great idea.
But Sokka was right; this was war, and in war, sacrifices had to be made. So I bit my tongue.
"Yeah," Zuko faked enthusiasm. "Then you could show him all his baby pictures and make him good again."
I couldn't help but chuckled along with the others at Zuko's sarcasm - maybe he's been spending too much time with Sokka.
"You really think that could work?" Aang asked, his eyes flooding with hope.
"No!" Zuko glared, and Aang hung his head with a sigh.
"This goes against everything I've learned from the monks." The boy began to pace, gripping his head, and stomping every few steps. "I can't just go around wiping out people I don't like."
"Aang," I said softly. "You're the Avatar. It's your job to keep the world in balance. It's him or the world."
"This isn't that simple!" Aang shouted. "That isn't how this works. None of you understand the position I'm in!"
"Aang, we do understand," Katara told him. "It's just-"
"Just what, Katara?" Aang interrupted. "What?"
"We're just trying to help!"
"Then when you figure out a way to take care of the Fire Lord without taking his life, I'd love to hear it!" The monk stormed away, without a glance back.
"Aang, don't walk away from this!" Katara called, and started to follow, but I reached out and stopped her by tugging at the hems of her skirts.
"Katara, don't," I whispered.
"He needs to sort it out by himself," Zuko agreed.
Helplessly, we watched him go.
/////\\\\\
The next morning, we packed our things, and loaded Appa. I was kind of upset to leave Ember Island; it was my second visit, and I fell more in love with the beaches than I had the first time.
As if reading my thoughts, Zuko wrapped an arm around my waist, and smirked.
"Maybe, when the war is over, we can come back," he said.
"Zuko," I giggled. "Is that your way of asking me on a date?"
He blushed, and I giggled more. "If so, then the answer is yes." I stood on my tiptoes to kiss his cheek, and the color on his cheeks turned five shades darker.
"Okay, that's everything," Sokka called, having finished strapping a sleeping back onto the saddle.
"No it's not," Toph denied, shaking her head. "Where's Aang?"
Sharing looks, we took off, searching the house for the missing monk.
I searched the surrounding area outside, and when I came up with nothing, I met with the group on the back porch.
"He left his staff," Sokka noticed, holding the prized item in his grasp. "That's so strange."
"He's not in the house," Zuko reported. "Let's check the beach."
We followed him down to the waters edge, and chewed my lip.
"Look," Sokka pointed. "There's his footprints. The trail ends here."
"So... he went for a midnight swim, and never came back?" Sukki asked.
"Maybe he was captured," Katara thought aloud.
"I don't think so," Sokka said, and I relaxed, albeit a little. "There's no sign of a struggle.
"I bet he ran away again," Toph grumbled, kneeling down next to Sokka.
"No," Sokka denied. "He left his glider, and Appa."
"Well, then what do you think happened to him, oh sleuth-y one?"
"It's pretty obvious," he shrugged. "Aang mysteriously disappeared before an important battle? He's definetely on a Spirit World journey."
"If he was, wouldn't his body still be here?" Zuko pointed out.
"Oh, yeah. I forgot about that."
"Then he's got to be on Ember Island," Katara decided. "Let's split up and look for him."
A small figure forced me away from Zuko, and I stumbled to keep my footing.
"I'm going with Zuko!" Toph called, hugging the firebenders arm in her death grip.
Zuko blushed, but didn't push her away.
"What?" Toph asked, defensive. "Everyone else went on a life changing field trip with him. Now it's my turn."
I laughed, and turned to Katara. "Partners?"
She sent a smirk to Zuko, and nodded. While Sokka and Sukki took to the skies on Appa, and Zuko and Toph took the outskirts of town, we made our way into the heart of the island, with all the shops, crowds, and the theater.
As soon as we arrived, we noticed a crowd had gathered in the middle of the square. As we got closer, we could hear them chanting: "Aang, Aang, Aang!"
Sharing a panicked look, we dashed into the throng, pushing people out of our way, and forcing ourselves to the middle.
"Avatar State, yip, yip!" The female actor was lifted into the air by the Toph actor, and the crown went nuts.
"You've got to be kidding me," I muttered.
"Come on," Katara sighed. "Let's keep looking."
I nodded, and turned away, only to bump into someone.
"Sorry," I apologized, and looked up.
"Yeah, you better be- hey, wait a second."
I blinked at the teen in front of me. "Chan?" I asked.
"You!" he hissed. "You're one of the freaks who trashed my house!"
"Sam?" Katara asked, looking back and forth between us. "Is everything okay?"
I forced a small smile. "Heh, sorry about that. You know how us teenagers can be."
"Wait, Sam? Like... the legend, Sam?"
"No," I rushed. "Sam... Sami.* Psh, what kind of name is Sam?"
"Sami is a boy name," Katara whispered in my ear, and I glared.
"Whelp, it was nice seeing you again, bye!" I called, and pulled Katara away and back into our search.
"What did he mean, you trashed his house?" Katara asked, looking back.
"Nothing. I'll tell you later," I promised. "But, you probably don't want to mention Chan around Zuko. He doesn't exactly think of Chan with fond memories."
Katara quirked an eyebrow, but didn't question me further.
/////\\\\\
Defeated, we sat on the steps of the Fire Lords home. Zuko and Toph joined us a bit later, and Sokka and Sukki were the last to return.
"Judging by the looks on your faces, I'm guessing you guys didn't find Aang either," Sokka sighed.
"No," Zuko said. "It's like he's just... disappeared."
"Hey, wait a minute," Toph exclaimed, sitting up from her slouching position. "Has anyone else noticed that Momo is missing too?"
Panicked, Sokka turned to the flying bison. "Oh no. I knew it was only a matter of time!" Sokka ran to the to the giant creature, and opened his jaws wide. "Appa ate Momo!" Climbing into the beasts mouth, Sokka continued "Momo, I'm coming for ya' buddy!"
"Sokka, Appa didn't eat Momo," Katara deadpanned. "He's probably with Aang."
"That's just what Appa wants you to think," Sokka stated, continuing his search.
"Get out of the bison's mouth, Sokka," Zuko snapped. "We have a real problem here. Aang is nowhere to be found, and the comet is only two days away."
"What should we do, Zuko?" Katara asked, and we looked at him expectantly.
"I don't know..." He paused, noticing our stares. "Why are you all looking at me?"
"Well, you do kind of have a track record with finding Aang," I pointed out. "Granted, a lot of it was sheer dumb luck, but still."
"Yeah," Toph agreed. "If anyone has any experience with finding the Avatar, it's you."
Zuko looked between all of us, and I could see an idea forming in his mind. After a could minutes, he nodded. "Alright. I have an idea."
Excitedly, we clambered onto Appa, and Zuko took the reigns. In no time, we were in the skies, and flying over the ocean.
Sokka had a map laid out across the saddle, and after a while, he scooted closer to the edge.
"Zuko," he called, "I don't wanna tell you how to do your job, but why are we heading towards the Earth Kingdom? There's no way Aang's there."
"Just trust me," Zuko promised.
"Wait a minute," I said, leaning closer to Sokka. "Are we going where I think we're going?"
Zuko glanced back with a small smirk. "You're not allowed even a glass of water."
Grinning, I sat back and looked out towards the massive ocean.
We were going to find Aang.
♠ ♠ ♠
*Sami - origin: Japan. Gender: male. Meaning: All hearing. (Source: babynology.com)