Status: Complete

When Worlds Collide: Book Three, Fire

Sixteen

By the time the comet was passing overhead, we were about halfway to the Fire Nation. I stared at the sky in wonder as it changed from a pretty blue to a chilling red.
"Zuko," Katara said, "don't worry. We can take Azula."
I took my eyes off of the foreboding sky to listen.
"I'm not worried about her. I'm worried about Aang," Zuko confessed. "What if he doesn't have the guts to take out my father? What if he loses?"
Katara narrowed her eyes, but it wasn't accusing. "Aang won't lose. He's going to come back." The waterbender turned her gaze back to the open air in front of us. "He has to."
The rest of the trip was silent.
/////\\\\\
When we reached the outskirts of the Fire Nation, about a half mile from civilization, we landed.
"Are you going to be okay?" Katara asked, pulling me into a hug.
"Of course I will," I assured. "I'm just talking to the people. It's you who needs to be careful. I won't be there to watch out for you."
She smiled as she pulled away. "I'm not a kid, Sam. I don't need someone to take care of me."
"Just watch out for yourself," I begged. "Promise?"
Katara nodded. "Promise."
I pulled her into one last hug, before she went back to Appa.
I turned to Zuko, who had yet to make any indication of me leaving. He was leaning against a tree with his arms crossed, and he looked... peeved. Since it didn't look like he was going to make a move, I stepped forwards.
"Watch out for her, please?" I asked. "You guys... you're all I have in this world. And, please, Zuko, be careful. Don't do anything stupid, okay? I mean... just, be smart about what you do, and-"
His warm hands cupped my cheek, and I gave up trying to speak as his lips crashed onto mine. My hands clutched onto his wrists like a lifeline, and I kissed back just as eagerly. All too soon, he pulled away, but I kept my eyes closed, trying to file the memory away into my mind.
"Sam, whatever happens," he started, "if I don't make it back-"
"Don't say that," I whispered, finally opening my eyes to see his. "You will come back. We'll have tea, in Iroh's shop. And... and you said you would take me back to Ember Island, right? Once this war is over, you said we'd make a date of it."
Silently, Zuko nodded. "Of course."
I kissed him again, much softer this time, and started to walk away, towards the village.
His hand caught mine, and I turned back.
"You be careful, too," he said. "I... I love you, Sam."
A smile spread across my face, and I squeezed his hand. "I love you, too."
Another squeeze, and he let me go.
Before I could stop myself, I turned towards the village and began walking.
I would play my part, and the others would play theirs; we'd be drinking tea at the Jasmine Dragon in no time.
/////\\\\\
I kept my hood up until I reached the center of the town. I received some odd looks, and some of the guards were trailing behind me, but I ignored it all.
The middle of the village was were all the shops were set up. A giant fountain stood on a raised platform, sparkling in the red light, the water that ran down the layers looking like liquid fire. It was evening, and it seemed as though everyone had gathered to watch the comet.
Iroh was right; children clung to their parents legs, and adults stared at the sky and guards wearily. They were scared. If I could say the right words, maybe get a reaction from the guards, I could easily get the people to retaliate.
I stepped up onto the platform, and almost instantly, I felt dozens of eyes on me.
"People of the Fire Nation," I called, raising my voice to be heard, "the war is coming to its close. As I speak, Fire Lord Ozai-"
"The Phoenix King!" someone shouted, but I ignored them.
"-Ozai," I repeated, grinding my teeth, "is attacking the Earth Kingdom. Avatar Aang is going to stop him." I hope.
No, Sam. He will.
"Who are you, to speak against our King?" a guard demanded, stepping forward and raising his fists.
"There is a legend, stating that a girl would be the deciding factor of the outcome of the war," I said, and slowly lowered my hood. "So consider this my decision: Ozai will lose. Balance will be restored to the world, and the Avatar will be the person to do it."
The whispers started, and while the guards stepped forward, the people stumbled back. Children hid behind their mothers legs, and some parents even shielded their child's eyes.
"What proof do you have?" a guard shouted. "How do we know you're not an impostor, sent to threaten us?"
"During my time in the Fire Nation, Princess Azula taught me a thing or two about the whole 'legend' thing," I explained. "Apparently, I can bend two elements with only my mind. And, you know, I was kind of surprised when I found out she was right."
Behind me, water exploded outwards, raining down on the surprised guards. A small circle of flames surrounded me, forcing them to take a few steps back.
"Is that enough proof?"
There was a battle cry, and I ducked to avoid the ball of fire that was sent my way. It hit the fountain, which exploded on impact, leaving debris flying everywhere.
Another soldier attacked, and I easily dodged, but this time, the fireball was heading straight towards a mother and son. Panicked, I used the water from the now destroyed water fountain, and with a hiss of steam, the fire fizzled out.
Silence.
An old man stepped up from the crowd, his eyes hard. "We stand by the Avatar."
I nearly cried with joy. The soldiers looked a lot less confident, and their eyes shifted from me to the citizens.
"The hundred year war is over," I declared. "You lost."
"Even if the Phoenix King falls, Fire Lord Azula will defeat your little group," a man stated, standing tall among his few remaining supporters.
In the distance, where the palace was just able to peak over the trees, a wall of opposing fires shattered the red sky.
"No," I gasped. "Zuko!"
"You can 'decide,' all you want, Legend," the man continued. "We have a King and Fire Lord. All you have is a child, who abandoned the world a hundred years ago. Who's to say he won't repeat his past actions?"
People were looking at me, to me. "That wasn't his choice," I growled. "Destiny is funny like that, sometimes. He's here now. He's doing everything in his power to save the world."
"And what will you do, when that isn't enough?"
For one second, I hesitated. "Well," I said, "I suppose I'll fight."
The man snarled, and I got the feeling that that wasn't the answer he was looking for.
This time, the attack came from behind. It wasn't as forceful, but it was hot. I gritted my teeth as the heat made me stumble, and I turned to see the guards were back in formation.
Fire and water spiraled together, flying right towards the attackers chest. Two inches before impact, and the fire sizzled out as the water splashed harmlessly to the ground.
Red and blue danced in the horizon, and I was breathing hard, my hands shaking. I wasn't supposed to fight. Iroh had said to talk to the people, not fight the Fire Lords supporters. They were making my job a lot harder than it had to be.
Silence surrounded me, and by the looks on everyone's faces, I had their attention.
"I don't want to fight," I told them. "I will never throw the first punch. Everything I've done today has been in self defense. If you could all, please, just listen, maybe we could-"
Lightning crackled behind me. The blast was so strong, everyone, including me, ducked and covered our heads. When it was over, I hesitantly opened my eyes, instantly seeking out the palace.
Something had happened. Someone was hurt, and I didn't know who, or if they would be okay. The people weren't listening to me. I was useless to my friends, and useless in the war.
"Why can't you see it?" I asked them. "Why can't you see how badly the world is hurting because of this?
"When the Fire Nation invaded, the people of Omashu rebelled, and many were hurt because of it. They were forced to fake sickness just so they could leave the city. They were scared. Of you.
"The Southern Water Tribe was attacked several years ago. All of their waterbenders were taken, away from their homes and their families. When another waterbender was born, another fleet of ships came and wrongfully killed the wrong person.
"The Air Nomads were slaughtered, leaving one last airbender to fight for them. Aang will never see his friends and family again. He's alone, all because of this never ending war.
"Do you really want to be associated with a time of fear? Do you really want people to be afraid to talk to you? This is your chance to show the world who the Fire Nation really is. Don't just stand there and watch others fight. Do something."
Some of the supporters of the Fire Lord backed down, while the rest stood their ground - kind of. They were shifty eyed, watching as their fellow people glared.
The same man from earlier walked forward to stand next to me. "We stand by the Avatar," he repeated, and this time, people cheered.
Smiling wide, I nearly gave the man a hug. "Thank you," I told him, and bowed.
"It is us who should be thanking you," he said, shaking his head. "You and your friends have been to those places, haven't you? You've seen the colonies and the other nations."
I nodded. "We're going to reunite the world," I promised. "We're going to bring back peace."
The world darkened, and my eyes flew to the sky. Against the faint red, a blue, shining light beamed up to the Heavens, and I grinned. I had only witnessed that sight, and felt the power running through my veins with one person.
Aang was back, and he was fighting. Actually, if my suspicions were correct, he had just ended the fight.
All too soon, the light disappeared, and the entire village was left speechless.
"Ladies and gentlemen," I whispered, "welcome to a new era."
♠ ♠ ♠
So, someone over on Wattpad guessed the ending. Am I really that predictable? 'Cause I thought I was really gonna shock people, but I guess one person is just a mind reader. So, yeah, here's the chapter.
I plan on finishing this up here in a week or so.
But I learned a long time ago to never set time restraints on myself. It never turns out well.