Status: Complete

When Worlds Collide: Book Three, Fire

Eighteen

I awoke with a jolt, gasping for breath. In the background, I could hear Katara and Sokka arguing, but I couldn't see them.

I was in a white room, and a loud beeping took over my senses. Wires and tubes were stuck to my arms, and I looked up to see the source of fighting. A television.

I panicked, and tore at the wires, attempting to free myself. Footsteps could be heard outside, and the door slammed open, making my shriek in surprise.

Men and women in white coats bustled into the room, pushing me back on the bed, and talking too fast.

"Where are her parents?"

"She's stable, just in shock."

"Someone get Dr. Pratt!"

"Where are her parents?"

I flinched at all the yelling, and was finally able to push one of the people away from me. "Get away from me!" I yelled, trying to set them on fire.

But nothing happened.

My eyes trailed back to the TV, where Zuko had just brought Aang on to his ship.

"No," I whispered, but my words were lost in the hustle and bustle.

"Samantha," one of the people called, pushing on my shoulders. "Samantha, honey, you need to lay down. Everything's fine, you're safe. It's all over now."

But that's what I was afraid of. What did they mean? Why were my friends a moving picture?

Something pinched my arm, and the world grew hazy. I struggled to stay conscious, but the hands pushing me down over lowered me, and soon, I was surrounded by darkness.

/////\\\\\

Warm. Small.

Something was curled into my side, and something was tugging at my hair. Slowly, I opened my eyes, and let them adjust to the bright light.

"Sammy?"

It was whispered, but it was loud enough to send a sharp pain through my head. I flinched away from it, squeezing my eyes shut again, and then I was being slapped. Repeatedly, by small hands.

"Sammy, come on. Wake up. Wake up, wake up, wake up!"

Reluctantly, my eyes opened again, and a small, familiar face was smiling.

"Sammy!" he squealed.

"...Danny?"

Small arms wrapped around my neck, and slowly, I hugged him back. But, what...? What happened? Where was I? How did I get here?

Fearfully, I looked up at the TV, but it was off. What was going on?

"Danny?" I whispered. "Is... Is that you?"

"Danny, honey, we have to go."

A woman entered the room, and froze when she saw us.

"Sam."

That voice. That was the voice I had been hearing for the past several weeks.

"...Mom?"

When did I start crying? When did Mom rush over here?

Danny struggled between us, caught in the hug.

"Sam, honey, what do you remember?" Mom asked, pulling back and petting my hair.

"I..." What did I remember? Two bright lights, getting closer. Falling. Water. Something important happened, but what?

"No, that's okay," Mom assured. "I'll get the doctor, and your dad." She lingered for a moment, her hands never leaving my face, and hesitantly, she left.

"Sammy, are you all rested now?"

I blinked and turned to face Danny. "I think so. How long was I... resting?"

"A long time."

/////\\\\\

A long time was two and a half weeks.

The doctors explained how when the truck hit, the airbags had sent my head forward into the front seat. Pops was okay, suffering from a head wound that they promised looked worse than it was, and Nan broke her arm.

The doctors said it was miracle. The crash site had looked terrible, and everyone was surprised anyone had walked away.

My parents rarely left my side, and when they had to leave at night, my nurse would suit with me until I fell asleep.

She was a kind woman with long dark hair and soft eyes. She told stories of her children, and of when she was younger.

Ursa was her name. I looked forward to the night shift, just so I could talk to her. I told her how I felt I was supposed to remember something, or someone, important.

"You've been out for a while," she would say. "It's normal to feel off for a little while."

"No, something happened. I'm supposed to be somewhere, I know it," I pressed.

Ursa smiled softly. "A few years ago, I found myself in the same boat as you are now," she said. "You'll figure it out."

She looked sad, so as much as I wanted to, I didn't push.

Because of the accident, my parents and Danny had made the trip to Missouri, and had been here since day one. It was decided that when things had settled down, Mom and Dad would go back home and Danny and I would stay with Nan and Pop.

They weren't exactly happy about it, but I convinced them the fresh air would help clear my head.

Danny was ecstatic. He insisted that we had a lot of catching up to do, and he started it out by talking the tv remote and flipping the hospitals tv over to Avatar. It was a good show, and normally I loved to watch it with Danny.

But it was different. Something was missing. It wasn't right.

One night, after Mom, Dad, and Danny went home, I left the tv on. I remembered this episode; it was the series finale, the closing to the seafood worth of tv.

Ursa joined me at some point, though I'm not sure when.

Zuko was speaking to the former Fire Lord, explaining certain plans, and asking questions if his own.

"Where is my mother?" the character demanded, and I blinked, my eyes sliding over to Ursa.

"I always thought this show held more truths than children were able to grasp," she sighed. "It's unfortunate more people your age don't enjoy the life lessons it offers."

I nodded. "I always thought people could learn something from Iroh's words and Zuko's change."

Our focus slipped back to the screen, and I noticed something odd. It was the tea shop scene, and Sokka was painting.

When the view zoomed in on his art, there was another girl who want in any of the previous shots. She did between Zuko and Sukki, and squiggly lines surrounded her, giving the impression that she was glowing.

"Well, you're the big shot legend, I had to work that in somehow."