Status: Complete

When Worlds Collide: Book Three, Fire

Nineteen

I was hyperventilating. Memories flashed in my head, people and voices and adventures.

Ursa took my hand, gripping it tightly, and saying soothing words.

"Gone," I gasped. "They... They're gone."

"Oh, honey," Ursa sighed. "I was afraid you would remember."

"What?" I turned to fully face her, my eyes narrowing.

"I recognized the signs as soon as you came in. The coma was unusual. It was light, almost like you were just asleep. Your brain activity was normal, as if you were just dreaming. But your heart rate was terrifyingly slow and you were so pale." Ursa was stroking my hair, urging me to calm down. "At first, I thought it was just a special case. But then, the first time you woke up, the doctors said you were a panicky mess, not even responding to your parents. It was like you had no idea who you even where."

"I don't remember that," I said.

"No, I suppose you wouldn't. You were pretty drugged up."

I stared at Ursa, taking in her features, and studying her eyes. "How do you know this?" I asked. "There's no way you should know about them."

She smiled sadly. "Well, I don't know all of them. Not personally, anyway. But I told you I was in the same boat as you a few years ago."

"Where is my mother?"

"No way."

Ursa smiled, but it didn't reach her eyes. "Now, Sam," she started, sitting up straight, "would you mind telling me how you traveled to and from my world? And what your relationship is with my son?"

/////\\\\\

It took a while for the shock to wear off, and even longer to explain the story of her world and mine. But I told her of my travels with the Gaang and Zuko separately, and then the miraculous combination of the two parties.

She had many questions about Zuko and Azula, which I was nervous to answer.

"Azula... She and Ozai were in prison when I left," I explained. "I know Zuko visits Ozai when he finds out about some secret plan or when some of his supporters start causing a ruckus. But he visits Azula weekly. She's his little sister, you know? I think he feels partially responsible."

She nodded, looking torn. Finally, she shook her head and quirked an eyebrow. "And you?" she asked. "What is your relationship to everyone?

I swallowed, attempting to organize my thoughts. "Um, well, Aang and Toph are like little siblings to me. I love them both, and would give my life to protect them. Katara is my best friend, and sure we got into it a couple times, but our bond is unbreakable. Sokka and I are... Well, I guess also best friends, but we're more protective of each other. It's a mutual understanding that all we have to do is ask, and the other well come running."

"And Zuko?" Ursa pressed.

I stopped. "Zuko... Like I said, he was the one to save me, when I first arrived in their world. We... We were tied together from the start. I guess it made sense for us to become so close."

Ursa got a knowing look in her eye, and she leaned forward. "How close?" she asked.

"I loved - love him," I confessed. "It took a while for the both of us to admit it, and we couldn't stand each other at first. But he was always there. Most of the time, it was to kidnap me, but he was there."

I stared off into space, thinking back on those first few weeks I spent on his ship. The fighting, the threats. That day when we first became friends, in our search for Iroh. It was so easy to talk to him, and I hadn't realized it until I had acknowledged my feelings.

"Does he love you?"

Startled, I looked at Ursa. "Sorry?"

"Zuko," she clarified, "does he love you back?"

Slowly, I nodded. "He told me, the day of the comet. He was going to face Azula, and I was playing peace keeper. Everyone was scared, and we were saying our goodbyes, and... He told me then."

"So, it's true?" she asked. "He really did change for the better?"

"Well, he's still a hot head," I giggled. "And he's a stubborn as an ostrich horse - I mean, mule."

Ursa chuckled at my skip up, but motioned for me to continue.

"But he's wonderful," I confessed. "Iroh taught him so much, and put him on the right path. Zuko gave himself that last push. He took the last step in fulfilling his destiny, and now everyone in the gaang loves him. We wouldn't have won the war without him."

Ursa had tears in her eyes, and she quickly cleared her throat and stood. "It's getting late, Sam," she said softly. "Goodnight."

/////\\\\\

In my dream, everything was blue. The sky, the grass, the trees... Everything.

Cautiously, I took a step forward, and suddenly the light shifted.

The bushes next to me rustled, and I took a panicked step back.

"Who's there?" I called. "What do you want?"

A boy emerged from the brush, liking shocked. He was bald, and an arrow glowed blue on his head.

"Sam?" Aang asked. "What are you doing here?"

"Aang?" I whispered.

The monk ran at me, tackling me into a hug. "We've looked everywhere for you," he said. "How did you get in the spirit world?"

I hugged him back fiercely. "I have no idea," I confessed. "But I'm actually back in my world. I think there's some kind of passage way, or portal. Aang, there's... I found someone."

"If there's a way back, maybe we can find it," Aang said, ignoring the second part of my words. "We miss you so much. Zuko's pulling his hair out, he's so worried."

"Aang," I called. "I... I'm home. I'm with my family. I love you guys, you know I do. But I've missed them."

My heart broke as his eyes watered.

"Sam," he whispered, and I hugged him tighter.

"But... There's someone here," I said. "Zuko's mother, Ursa, is trapped here. I don't know how she was banished to my world, but maybe there's a way to bring her back."

"But you won't come with her."

I blinked, trying to stop the tears from falling. "No," I said. "Aang, I can't."

The monk took a deep breath, and pulled away. "Okay," he said softly. "I can respect your decision. I don't like it, though, and the others won't either, but I can respect it."

"Think about it this way," I told him, "if there is a portal, and it's open ask the time, we can assume it's here in Missouri."

"Whats-?"

"Never mind that," I chuckled. "What I'm saying is, if the portal is here, and open, maybe there's a way to travel back and forth. I'm here for the rest of the summer - which, by some miracle, I only missed two weeks of - and that means I should be able to visit."

"So, all we have to do is find the portal?" Aang asked.

"Hopefully," I nodded. "Find the portal, rescue Ursa, and maybe find a way to travel freely."

There was a tugging in my gut, and Aang was becoming transparent.

I was being ripped away again.

"I love you, Aang," I told him. "Tell the others for me?"

He nodded. "We'll see you soon," he said, "I promise."
♠ ♠ ♠
The end!

For now, anyway. WWC4 will be up soon. Maybe. Hopefully. When I get around to it.

Mind you, it won't be as long as the original trilogy stories were. It'll be more like a short story.

Keep an eye out :)