Status: Complete

When Worlds Collide: Book Three, Fire

Four

UNEDITED

/////Sam's POV\\\\\

Azula is the worst teacher ever, and refuses to admit it. Zuko tried explaining the whole 'legend' thing, but he couldn't remember the stories clearly. Ty Lee does nothing but try to put me in fancy clothes, and went as far as sneaking into my room at night - the girls terrifying. It turns out, that Mai is the one who remembers nearly every detail of the legend, and helped explain what I was supposed to do.

With the power of two elements, I'm supposed to be able to determine the fate of the world. I can control fire and water with my mind, which is supposed to help with the whole 'determine the fate' thing.

It had been two weeks since my 'episode' in the training room, and Zuko had talked Azula into slowing it down a bit, and I was thankful. School was annoying, and the teachers all still thought I was a moron, but I didn't let it get to me.

It's not my fault I can't read.

I was sprawled out on my bed, staring at the ceiling - something I did often nowadays. It was boring here, and I couldn't take two steps out into the garden without being attacked by servants. It's like they're afraid I'll run away.

With a sigh, I sat up, and focused on the cup of water by my bed. I squinted, with my lips skewered to the side. I even put my fingers to my temple, but nothing happened. Frustrated, I threw my hand down, and plopped back to the bed again.

"Miss Sam?" I heard.

"Yeah?" I called, raising my head to see a servant that I've never seen before timidly walk in.

"P-Princess Azula sent me to fetch you," she stammered.

I sighed, and swung my legs around to jump up. "Lead the way," I told her, forcing a smile on my face.

I followed the woman down the hall, to a part of the palace that I've never been to before. The woman stopped in front of a door, but before she could knock, I walked pass her, and barged right in.

"You wanted me, Princess?" I asked, crossing my arms.

She was sitting at her vanity, fiddling with her hair. She turned to roll her eyes at me, and with her hand, dismissed the poor servant who looked like she wanted to die.

Poor woman. I didn't even ask for her name.

"Sam, we're going on a trip," Azula stated, staring at me through the mirror.

"A trip?" I repeated, tilting my head. "What kind of trip?"

"Father is having a meeting with some of his advisers," Azula sighed, spinning around. "And he wants us gone."

"It's not like I'm going to bother him anyway," I said. I hadn't spoken to him since he summoned me to tell me my death sentence.

"Don't you want a different scenery?" Azula asked. "Get away from the palace and the academy?"

I looked away. She knew that answer, she didn't need me to verbalize it.

"I thought so," she smirked.

"Where are we going?" I asked, plopping myself down on her bed.

She glared a bit, but didn't say anything. "Ever heard of Ember Island?" she inquired.

"Totally," I said, putting as much sarcasm into my voice as possible. "I was just there last week, with my non-existent friends." Huh. Was I actually missing Sokka so much, that I was starting to act like him?

"Your other-worldly humor is not very humorous," the princess sighed, sitting next to me. "Ember Island is a place Zuko used to go to as kids. There's a beach, so pack accordingly."

"A beach on an island? Who'd of thought." I twirled my hair around my finger, and stood up. "Pack for an island... I'll just ask Ty Lee to do it. She's been begging to pick out clothes for me anyway."

Azula smirked, and motioned towards the door. "We leave tomorrow."

I stood, glad that she didn't want anything else, and started to walk towards the door.

"And tell Zuko," she called, heading back to her vanity. "For some reason, he avoids me."

"Wonder why," I muttered, as I stepped into the hall. For good measure, I stuck my tongue out at the door, before sighing, and heading towards the garden.

Even if I was being watched like a hawk, I liked to be out in the sunshine. There was a pond filled with Turtle-ducks out there, and I liked to feed them.

I stepped out the door, to see an empty garden - something that was rare. I was used to seeing people tending to the flowers, and other servants following me around. Where was everyone?

I made my way to a bench underneath the large tree, and propped my elbow up on my knee. The turtle ducks waddled over, some of them nipping at my pant leg. They were adorable, with their yellow feathers and a brown strip going across their head. Their green shells would make a thunk like noise when the babies collided, and I chuckled as I picked one up.

"I don't have anything today," I told it, smiling. "I fed you guys yesterday."

"They seem to like you," a voice said behind me, and I tensed as the Fire Lord sat next to me. "I trust Azula told of tomorrows departure."

I gave a curt nod, but otherwise showed no indication of showing I acknowledged his presence.

"I do hope that when you return, will have a new look at the world," Ozai continued. "Perhaps then you will be ready to embrace your destiny."

"According to the legend, my destiny is determine the fate of the world. I still get to choose who's side I'm on," I glared at him, "and it isn't yours."

"I find it amusing that you think I'm giving a choice. As long as you are in Fire Nation clutches, you are on our side." He stood, but didn't walk away. I felt his stare for another minute, before he finally left.

I sighed in relief, and only then noticed that the turtle ducks had scampered away. I buried my face in my hands, and took a shaky breath.

I looked up at the sky to see a Fire Hawk flying away with a note strapped to his foot.

Even with wings, the creature was chained, it seemed. It could fly anywhere, but had a job to do.

I wish I could have that freedom, even if limited.

Sighing again, I stood up to find Zuko. Ever since I forgave him, we had been spending a lot of time together.

I still liked him. Of course I did - I had never stopped. But he acted like our kind-of-ish date in Be Sing Se, and the kiss in the North Pole never happened. Guys in my world were confusing, and Zuko was worse than anyone I've ever known.

I walked down the corridors, and stopped outside of his room. I knocked lightly, and a moment later, Zuko appeared, looking surprised, but a small smile was present.

"Sam," he greeted. "What are you doing?"

"I bring a message," I said dramatically, giving a half smile. "Azula says we're leaving for vacation tomorrow."

He looked shocked, before moving aside, and motioning for me to come in.

I stepped through the doorway, and collapsed onto his bed.

"What kind of vaccation?" he asked, sitting next to me.

"Apparently the great and powerful Fire Lord has a meeting and doesn't want us kids running around," I explained. "Azula said we were going to Ember Island."

I saw him tense beside me, and I cocked an eyebrow. He sighed, but didn't relax, and turned away from me. "We're leaving tomorrow?"

"Yup," I sighed, popping the 'p.' "Isn't it great they let us prepare?"

He suddenly stood up, and I blinked in surprise.

"You okay?" I asked, tilting my head. "I mean, it really isn't that big of a deal I guess, I mean-"

"I'm going for a walk," he stated, and left the room.

I sat there for a bit, with my eyebrows furrowed, and wondering what had just happened. I was just being dramatic; it's what I did to cope. But Zuko usually just rolled his eyes or laughed at me. What was I missing here?

I racked my brain, trying to thing. Was it something I forgot? I had forgotten a lot of things - this must be major. Why did Zuko react like that?

I cautiously left his room, looking around to see if he was anywhere in the hallway, but it was empty. Grumbling about men, I stomped to my room to pack.

Maybe I could find Ty Lee later. She was good with clothes.
♠ ♠ ♠
This story will be on hold until December due to NaNoWriMo