Status: In Progress

Relationship Assistance (Boyfriend Guide)

#1 - Sai

[~] When she brushes your hand, grab hers. [~]


She had discovered that outside of missions that the mysterious newcomer Sai, always seemed to have his nose stuck in a self-help book of some sort.

Today sadly, was no exception.

It was a shame, really.

He should have been out-and-about, enjoying the pleasant summer day or mingling since the village was bustling with activity.

Well then, she'd just have to do something about that.

Poor socially clueless Sai wasn't going to learn much from reading books.

She wasn't a social butterfly by any means, but at least she could interact with people normally and didn't piss people off every time she opened her mouth.

You know, unless she meant to.

While she couldn't read the book's title from the shrinking distance, she figured it must have been something embarrassing, because when she called out to him and he noticed her approaching he sure stashed the book away in a hurry.

"Hello." He returned her genuinely friendly smile with one of his all-too obviously fake ones and stood as she approached.

She nodded her head in return to his verbal acknowledgement. "What were you reading, Sai?"

The dark haired boy's fake smile faltered and she could have sworn that there was a splash of color gracing his colorless cheeks, before he turned away.

'Well, that wasn't suspicious in the least.' She mused with an amused grin and dancing eyes. 'Kinda cute, though.'

Shifting her weight and leaning forward so that she could catch his averted gaze with her own, she gave him a lopsided grin. "So, since you're not busy and neither am I, why don't we hang out for the rest of the day."

Though it may have sounded so, it wasn't a request and oddly enough, he consented easily with that deceptively quiet tone of his.

She was surprised, but took it with an easy quirk of her lips.

Maybe she was being a bit pushy, but the boy seriously needed to get out more and she was one of the very few people that didn't take his insults to heart; supposedly she had ‘tough skin’ and all that.

Funnily enough, she actually enjoyed his company.

[~~~~]


As expected, the streets were crowded with lively vendors and villagers, all of them enjoying the festivities.

There was some sort of annual summer festival that she couldn’t remember the name of going on, but she didn't really care about the technicalities of it all that much.

Did it really matter if she knew or not in the first place?

She didn't think so.

She was just there to have fun with a friend after all.

She didn't have a true destination in mind, so she led him to various stalls and persuaded him to participate in several random games, just for the fun of it.

Whether or not he actually enjoyed himself or being in her presence, she couldn't say.

That fake smile kept his true feelings well hidden from her.

It didn't matter though, because one day that wall would crack and eventually crumble into dust.

By the time the sun began to set, there wasn't much room left to skirt by without accidentally bumping into someone, yet it was still fun, for her at least, to be lost and drifting among the crowd.

Noticing the lateness of the hour, she leaned in close to his ear so that he could hear her over the low roar of the crowd. "The fireworks will start soon. Want to get a better view?"

She didn't notice as her gaze was diverted, searching for a high and remote enough place for them to go, but he stiffened as her breath, cooled and sweetly flavored by the kakigōri [1] she had just consumed, ghosted over the sensitive skin on his neck.

Goosebumps erupted over his skin and a pleasant shiver raced up and down his spine, before an unfamiliar warmth settled low in his stomach.

Unable to respond verbally due to a dry, heavy tongue he gave his companion a smile and nodded his consent before they simultaneously spotted a vacant rooftop that would be a perfect perch.

Just as they settled on the roof, the first of the fireworks went off with a shrill whistle followed by a colorful bang of light.

In her excitement she shifted around and accidentally brushed her cool knuckles over his.

She was too into the light show to notice that Sai felt her accidental touch and glanced down at their hands only to have a line from the new book on relationship assistance he had been reading from earlier flash through his mind.

With a quick glance at the not-ugly girl who had somewhat forced her way into his daily life and made him do things he probably wouldn't with anyone else, he decided to take a chance and follow the advice given.

Gingerly, he slipped his warm hand into hers and turned his attention skywards, as if he were truly interested in the fireworks.

At the sudden weight and warmth encompassing her hand, her gaze shot down to their linked hands and she blinked slowly, trying to process it all.

She peered up at the quiet teen through her thick, dark eyelashes trying to gage his intent.

He wouldn't look at her directly, successfully hiding the warm pink blush on his cheeks, only chancing an almost shy glance out of the corner of his eye to see her response.

This wasn't how she expected their little jaunt to the festival to end. In fact it hadn't even been within forty square miles of what she had hoped to accomplish, because Sai just did not seem romantically interested in anyone.

She wouldn't waste this rare moment though, because she had always kept the faintest dash of hope in her heart that one day he might look at her differently and maybe, just maybe begin to like her back.

She sent a soft smile in his direction before she gently squeezed his hand and boldly laced their fingers together to silently let him know that she wasn't adverse to his sudden action or any others he might become brave enough to try in the future.
♠ ♠ ♠
Disclaimer: Characters and other recognizable things in this story belong to their respective copyright holders. The only things that I own are the original characters and plot of this story. I am making no money from writing this fan work. No copyright infringement is intended.

Pairing: [Naruto Shippuden: Sai x Unidentified]

So, this is me jumping headfirst into something I've always been a bit afraid of: Challenges. They scare me, seriously, you have no idea. I've never even attempted one before now... and if this goes badly, like I think it will and pray it won't, I'll never attempt one again and end it all with just this entry to save everyone the grief.

Credit for this specific Challenge goes to StoryReader888 and ChallengeMe from Quizilla.

[1] - Kakigōri is a Japanese shaved ice dessert flavored with syrup and condensed milk.