Status: Active.

Red

01

The click of a revolver echoed in the silent forest, ceasing the man's long strides. His ears twitched at the sound, noting that it had come from behind him. He tilted his head back and sniffed the air, a devious grin stretching across his face as he recognized the scent. "Little far from home, aren't you, Red?" he asked casually, remaining frozen in place.

"Save it, Wolf. I'm not here to play games," came the response, her voice thick with resolution. His grin widened at her tone, pleased that after all these years she hadn't changed. Still feisty as ever, he thought.

"It's been a while, Red," he continued, unfazed by her strict tone and the firearm pointed at the back of his head. "I was beginning to think you'd forgotten about me."

There was a pause before she replied. "I tried to."

A chuckle from his side. "I see," he voiced, his black tail swishing nonchalantly. Silence fell over the two, the wind sending more waves of her scent to his sensitive nose. God, how he missed her scent. Cinnamon spice and apples, reminding him of autumn leaves and crisp October air. Eyes drifting shut, he drew in a deep breath, relishing in the sweet smell. He pictured her in his mind the last time he had seen her, a stubborn child with a determined pout ingrained in her face, deep auburn hair tied in twin pigtails, innocent eyes glaring at him, her red cape draped over her shoulders. She had been nine the last time he had seen her, he realized. Ten years had passed since then, ten years with no interaction between the two of them. He was suddenly struck with the urge to see what she looked like now, to see the woman she had grown into.

"I need your help," she admitted reluctantly, breaking the silence.

The confession caught him off guard. "Is that so," he murmured silently. He paused briefly before asking, "Can I trust you not to blow my brains out?"

"No," she answered without hesitation, to which he laughed at. He turned around slowly to face her, eying her up and down, taking in her appearance.

Her arm held steady as she continued to point the revolver at his face. She had definitely grown taller, probably reaching his chin as opposed to his hips when she was younger. And she most certainly filled out as well, her deep brown tights defining the soft curve of her thighs and hips. Her waist was small, fitting snugly inside her white corset top, black buttons running up the middle, meeting a thin black ribbon tied in a pretty bow in the top center. He lewdly took note of the mounds she had developed on her chest, her breasts pressing firmly against the tight corset. She wore a brown leather jacket, leaving it undone, and had that same red cape draped around her shoulders. And then there was her face, which seemed as though it hadn't aged a day, with it's pale skin and splatter of freckles dusted across her cheeks and the bridge of her small, button nose. Her full lips were bright pink, a splash of color on her white skin. The mess of deep auburn locks sat in two messy pigtail braids on her shoulders, her bangs falling into her jade tinted eyes, the same eyes he remembered all those years ago with that determined gleam in them. They stared hard at him, her thin brows furrowed slightly, as if she were about to berate him, however she remained silent.

He smiled down at her. "Well look at you. You've really grown up, Red," he commented, crossing his arms and taking another look at her.

"Have you seen a girl?" she asked, changing the subject.

A smirk. "I see a lot of girls around here," he answered her. "In fact, I see one right now."

She shook her head, keeping the gun pointed toward his face. "No, a little girl. Blonde, and in a blue dress."

Wolf frowned. "No, none that I can recall. Why? What's this about?" His golden eyes fell to the gold chain dangling from her fingertips.

A sigh, and she lowered the gun. "Something's wrong," she mumbled, her eyes cast downward. She glanced down at the chain herself, dread twisting her stomach in knots. Wolf watched as she lifted her hand, uncurling her fingers and presenting to him the object she held. A golden pocket watch.

Wolf's frown deepened. "I don't understand," he said truthfully, staring at her curiously.

She glared up at him. "Read the top!" she snapped, waving the watch in his face. She held it out for him to read, and he leaned forward, squinting his eyes to make out the engraved design.

"Wonderland," he read aloud, still not quite getting it. He peered up at her. "So?"

"So," she began, "this watch belongs in Wonderland, not the Dark Forest." When he still didn't get it, she huffed in annoyance. "Alice, Wolf. Alice. Blonde girl in a blue dress. Alice!" she cried, glaring at his stupidity.

His eyes widened as he realized what she meant. "You mean Fall-Down-the-Rabbit-Hole Alice? Alice from - "

"From. Wonderland." She emphasized 'Wonderland' by shoving the pocket watch in his face once more.

He pushed her hand away and frowned. "But how? There's no link between the two."

The girl shook her head. "I don't know, but somehow one opened up. And I'm certain this belongs to that white rabbit. And if I'm right, then Alice is here, too," she explained, biting her thumbnail in thought.

Wolf grimaced at the action but made no remark about it. "How do you know that?" he asked instead.

Green eyes glanced up at him through dark lashes. "Because," she replied, "the brat is always chasing the rabbit." She sighed. "And if that's the case, other things from Wonderland could wind up here as well. So I need your help to find Alice and that damn rabbit, and anything else that wound up here and send them all back to where they belong, destroying whatever brought them here in the first place."

"So you need me why?"

"You're the only one I trust, Wolf! And you know your way around the Dark Forest, and I need someone who knows the area."

"You mean someone to protect you."

"Call it whatever you want," she said, exasperated. "Please, Wolf. Before something happens to that little girl. I really need your help," she pleaded, her eyes begging.

With a roll of the eyes, he groaned, "Little Red Riding Hood, you sure are a pain in my ass."

She would take that as a yes.
♠ ♠ ♠
Okay guys. I'm aware of how bad I am at committing to a story, but I'm super excited for this one, and I plan to see it to the end. I hope you enjoy reading this as much as I am loving writing it.