Sequel: Nothing Like Us

One Less Lonely Girl

Nothing's The Same

Let me describe how different it is without him here. First starting off with morning walks. I walk down the street and pass by his house and I get sad because the flowers are starting to wither and there's nobody watering the plant. Pattie's not there greeting me with her beautiful smile and hug. Justin doesn't come out of the house with his cute smile and greet me. The house is empty, I look inside and it is dark with untouched items and no one is walking around or in the kitchen cooking. The exterior of the house looks somewhat sad too. It looks like the paint has faded and the flowers had lost their bloom.

School isn't as fun anymore because he's not there. There's no Justin to wave "Hi" to in the morning in the parking lot. There's no Justin in class answering questions or even making funny face expressions when it got boring. Justin isn't with his friends walking down the hallway between classes. There's no one to tell jokes to or to share secrets. After school there is no one to walk home with and make it the best ten minute walk ever.

I don't have anyone to call everyday and neither does my mom. She used to call Pattie everyday and now it's every once in a while because of the time differences between Atlanta and Stratford. I guess my mom and I are both connected in a way because when she's sad I'm sad and it's been like that for a long time. I guess it's just a mother-daughter relationship. I missed them too much.

"Mom, I'm going to go ice skating!" I yelled while going down the stairs and outside the door. I had my skates slung on my shoulder and took a bus to the ice rink. I get off the bus and see crowds of people skating so I waited a bit. I walked in and out of stores and bought a hot chocolate because that's what Justin and I always did before and after ice skating. After a few minutes a lot of people left because it was close to dinner so the ice rink was practically empty. I skated my way onto the ice and closed my eyes. It felt nice to glide along the ice after a long time. This reminded me of when we were little. We used to grab eachother's hands and skate along the ice laughing. We would go around in circles for hours until we were tired and went out for hot chocolate again. It also reminded me of Justin's hockey games. He was the fastest out of everybody, sliding across the ice and making goals. He was my favorite player.

His grandparents called us for dinner one day and I ate their best spaghetti. Justin and I would eat spaghetti every time we stopped by at his grandparents house and our faces would be a mess! We'd laugh at eachothers faces. I went up to his room after dinner and looked at how organized it was. It was like nobody's touched it for years and it's only been a few months. I looked at all his posters of hockey and found his guitar next to his bed. I grabbed it and sat on his bed strumming any note I could play. I remember sitting in this room or his room in his house and him sitting with me, teaching me how to play.

On family movie nights I put on my hockey jersey because that's what I used to do with Justin whenever we watched a movie either at his house or mine. Every night I would turn on my laptop and go to Youtube to watch his old videos of him and just let the image of his face sink in. I wonder if he's changed at all? I would fall asleep with the thought of him and wake up with the thought of him. I was just missing another piece of me and I wanted it back.

One day the phone rang and I answered it because nowadays every phone call that comes, I think it's Justin or Pattie calling.

"Hello?" I asked the person on the other side.

"Hey, is anyone with the name Ashely there?" The familiar voice said.

"Yes. That would be me." I sounded so formal but it probably came from all those other years when I picked up the phone and answered with such a hyper voice only to find out that it wasn't any of my friends. Ever since then, I started speaking formally to someone before I knew who it was.

"Oh hey Ashely! This is Justin!" My eyes went big and a rush of joy ran through me.

"JUSTIN!!" I was beyond happy at this moment.

"I miss you so much! How has it been going?" He asked with laughter in his voice.

"I miss you too! Are you seriously asking me this question? Oh my gosh it has been SO boring! Everything I do seems to be reminding me of you."

"Awww same. Everything I do reminds me of you. Like playing the guitar. It reminds me of when I teach you guitar and we'd just end up laughing hysterically. But hey, I have something to tell you."