Status: Active =)

Don't Give up on Me

I Just Wanna Be The One To Remind You What It Is To Smile

“Alexis! Wait up!” One of the girls in my math class called out as she jogged to catch up with me. I half turned, raising a quizzical eyebrow at her. I vaguely remembered our professor calling her Kelly. “Look, I know you don’t really hang out with people.” She began. “I’ve been really struggling to keep a decent grade and I talked with Dr. Marten. He said you’d be the best tutor in the class if you had some spare time.” She bit her lip, looking down at her feet.

“Okay?” I wrinkled my eyebrows in confusion.

“I’m asking for help with our math.” She grinned.

“Oh! I’m so sorry. It’s been a weird week I guess.” It really had been. I’d spent all my energy throwing myself into my homework, attempting to avoid Niall. It wasn’t that I didn’t like him, I was just afraid of how I felt. His schedule didn’t help either, but I knew I was using that as an excuse. Being around the guys a lot scared me, but Lily didn't share that feeling. She'd had all of them, especially Harry, over during the week. I always found an excuse to hide in my room or take off for a while. I felt bad and I knew I was handling things wrong, but I didn't know how else to deal with falling for Niall. “I’d be glad to help.” I smiled warmly at her.

“Oh my gosh, you’re a lifesaver!” She gushed enthusiastically. “What’s your standard rate?”

“Oh please. You don’t have to pay me anything! It’ll be a study party, not a tutoring session. We could start tonight, if you’ve got time.” I offered.

“Are you sure Alexis?”

“Absolutely!” I grinned, telling her our address. “I’ll be ready any time after 7.”

“You’re seriously the best. Thank you so much!” She gave me a brief hug as she raced off to her next class.

---------------------

“Wait. Somebody is actually coming over?” Lily faked shock, throwing her hand over her heart and widening her eyes. “Did you learn how to talk to people today?” Harry came over, chuckling as he wrapped Lily in his arms.

“Oh shut it!” I rolled my eyes. “Kelly will be here any moment.”

“In all seriousness, do you want me to leave?” Harry asked.

“You’re okay. With all the stupid media I know she’s already aware that I know you all. There’s no way she wouldn’t.”

“Good.” He grinned at Lily. “I don’t want to leave. Also, Lex you’ve got to talk to him sometime. It’s been almost a week. You've been avoiding all of us, but especially Niall this week. It's not fair to him when I can sit out here and talk with you normally but you'd hide if he was here.”

“I know. I -” My voice caught in my throat as I fixed my gaze on the counter. My hands quickly occupied themselves with the salt shaker. “I’m afraid.” I whispered.

“Lexy, Niall is a good guy. He’ll treat you with respect and honor. He’ll treat you like a princess, the way you deserve.” Lily replied, reaching over to grip my hand.

“Lil, I’m too broken for him. He deserves so much better than anything I can give.”

“Lex,” Harry began. I looked up at him, guilt written on my face. “I don’t know you as well as Lily does, but I can tell you that you have one of the biggest hearts I’ve ever encountered. Niall does deserve the best and that means he needs somebody to love him unconditionally. You can give that to him.”

“But -”

“Alexis, let me tell you a little about Niall. He doesn’t do the one night stands that I’ve done. He has hardly dated. The rest of us have. He’s waited for the moment he found a girl he could share his love with. He knew the moment he saw you how amazing you are. You are worthy of him, so stop pushing him away. “You can trust him with your heart.” Harry pulled me in for a tight hug as the door opened.

“Am I in the right -” Kelly froze as she saw Harry’s arms around me.

“Hey Kelly.” I laughed at the shell-shocked look on her face.

“Kelly is it?” Harry grinned, letting go of me and moving to give her a hug.

“You’re the one he’s willing to commit to?” She squealed. I burst into laughter and shook my head.

“No offense Lex, but you’re not who I’d choose given all the ladies in this flat.” Harry slung an arm around Lily’s shoulders. “Kelly, meet Lily.”

“Are you two dating?”

They looked at each other awkwardly. “I’d say we’re exploring the possibility of a relationship and are exclusive, but I wouldn’t say we’re dating.” Lily replied.

“That’s a perfect way of phrasing it love.” Harry kissed her temple and she grinned. “Lex, call him.” Harry turned his attention on me.

“I’ve got schoolwork.” I replied, looking away.

“Alexis Noelle.” Lily’s voice commanded me sternly. “Stop running and hiding. Call Niall!”

“But Kelly is here and we have homework.” I protested, playing with the hem of my shirt.

“Alexis.” Kelly cut in. “I may not know what’s going on, but I’m not actually doing poorly in math. You just seemed like a good person to be friends with. My homework is done, and I know you did yours. I saw you in class. If you’re avoiding Niall, I’d suggest you call him.”

“Guys, I can’t.” I bit my lip. “And Kelly, if you wanted to hang you could have just asked.”

“I wasn’t sure. You’re kinda closed off.”

“I know.” I sighed. “I’m trying to work on it.”

Call him.” Harry handed me my phone, Niall’s contact information pulled up. I took a deep breath and called him

“Alexis?” His hopeful voice filled my heart with joy.

“Hey Niall.” I replied quietly.

“What’s on your mind darlin’?”

“You.” I responded. Harry wolf-whistled at the blush on my cheeks. I motioned for him to shut up and stuck my tongue out at the group. Lily smiled, pulling the other two away to give me a little space.

“What about me?” He questioned.

“I -” I took a deep breath. “Look, I’m not good at letting people in. And I happen to be even worse at expressing myself, so I’m gonna do my best here. I’ve been keeping you at bay because I’m afraid of the feelings you give me. You make me want to be vulnerable and taken care of and I’m not used to that. So I’ve been trying to forget about you all week.” I paused.

“How’s that workin’?” His voice was quiet, as if expecting bad news.

“Not so well.” I scrunched my face slightly. “Niall, I miss you so much my heart aches. All of this is a lot for me. And I don’t want to be this random girl in your life.” I heard a knock on the door. “Hang on.” I opened the door, revealing a sheepish Niall. He hung up the phone with a raised shoulder.

“I hadn’t heard from you and I wanted to make sure you were okay, so I was on my way when you called. Also, I had a special plan for this, but I don’t want to wait.” He pulled a rose from behind his back. “Lex, you caught my eye from the moment I saw you. You’ve captured my thoughts and my heart. I want to get to know you better as a friend, and as more. I know it’s going to be hard for you, but I ask that you trust me with your heart. Alexis, will you go on a date with me tonight?”

“I’d really like that.” I murmured bashfully. “Would you like to come in for a moment while I get ready?”

“Get ready? You look stunning as you are Lex.” He kissed my cheek.

“But you’re all dressed up. I need to be dressed up too!” I argued, backing up so he could enter.

“Alright. I’ll relax with Haz while I wait.” He reached down, linking our fingers together as we walked to the others.

“Kelly, Lil?” I caught their attention, pulling it from whatever was on T.V. “I kinda need your help.”

“Of course!” Lily grinned, kissing Harry on the cheek as she stood up swiftly.

“You’re Kelly I take it?” Niall glanced between Kelly and me.

“Sorry Niall, I should have introduced you. Kelly is in my math class.”

“Look at you branching our!” Niall teased, prompting laughs from the other three. I flashed him a bemused smile before dragging the girls off to my room.

“Lex, what’s going on?” Lily looked to me for help as I slipped clothes off hangers in my closet. Kelly flopped down on my bed, watching my nervous movements.

“Niall asked me on a date tonight and I said yes.” I admitted. “I know that throws off tonight Kelly, but I really like him and things have been weird between us and I just want them fixed.”

“They’re only weird because you freaked and pushed him away.” Lily countered. “I’m glad you said yes. You two are perfect together.”

“I knew there was something there! I could see it by that interview!” Kelly squealed excitedly. “You are so cute together! And Lily, I just love you with Harry. It’s happy endings all around!”

“But now I need help. I’ve never been on a date before and I don’t know what I’m doing.” I sheepishly admitted, hanging my head.

“Well, the best advice I can give you is to be yourself.” Lily started. “Niall fell for you because you’re you, not because you tried to make him like you. Be totally honest with him and everything will be great. I promise you that.”

“But what if he goes out with me and realizes how messed up I am and never wants to see me again?” I sank onto my bed, clutching a pillow in my arms.

“Alexis, I know we haven’t talked much, but I know that you’re one of the most generous, kind, caring,, honest, and beautiful people I’ve met.” Kelly wrapped an arm around me and I rested my head on her shoulder. “So you’ve got your issues. I can promise that Niall has his own. Granted, I have no idea what your past is like, but everybody has baggage. If you let that hold you back, I don’t think you’ll ever find somebody. Niall won’t look at you and see your past. He’ll see who you are, who you’ve become.”

“She’s right Lex.” Lily grinned as she pulled clothes from my closet. “Now enough worrying and put this on!”

------------------

NIALL’S POV

“So she said yes?” Harry grinned at me.

“Yeah!” I could barely contain my excitement, but I had a few doubts. “But, does she actually want to go with me? She hasn’t exactly jumped at the chance to see me this week.”

“She’s scared Nialler. She thinks that because she’s broken from her past that she doesn’t have what you deserve.”

“Alexis? But she’s amazing.” I responded.

“Well I know that, and you know that. But Niall,” Harry chided gently. “Think of all she’s been through. When has she ever been shown how incredible she is and just what she deserves.”

“I guess I never though about it. She’s just so confident all the time.” I replied.

“See, I think that’s all an act Ni. I’m pretty sure she’s not as self-assured as she pretends to be. I believe it’s just her way of protecting herself from everybody.”

“I dunno Haz.” I took a moment and thought back to the first night she stayed with me, appearing like an angel in my doorway. It was one of the only times she let me come close without pulling back. Her vulnerability caused her to reach out for help. “I guess deep down she’s afraid and hurting. Hazzah, I want to be the one to help her.”

“Good.” Harry nodded, showing his support and approval. “From what Lily has said, you the first guy Alexis has ever let come this close. She also said Alexis has never been friends with guys before and we should all consider ourselves lucky to have spent any time with her at all.”

“Wow. Now I feel pressure.” I murmured quietly, anxiety settling into my stomach. “I hope I don’t screw this up.”

“You won’t.” Harry replied, his gaze drawn across the room. “But if you do you’ll be missing out.” He muttered under his breath.

“Haz, what -” I turned, following his line of sight and froze. My breath caught in my throat as I saw Alexis. I couldn’t stop from admiring every inch of her body, especially her bare legs that went on for miles. My eyes lingered the longest on her faintly flushed cheeks. She was clearly nervous, her teeth pulling at her lip. I gulped, pushing away my body’s desires. “Lex, you are so beautiful.” I moved over to her, pulling her into a hug as my lips brushed against her cheek. “Relax.” I whispered lightly into her ear. “Everything is alright.” I pulled away as Harry hugged her tightly. I couldn’t hear what he said to her, but it clearly helped. Her tensed muscles relaxed and a smile had settled on her lips as Harry stepped back.

“I’m gonna take off.” Kelly smiled at us. “It was so nice to meet you all.” She waved shyly, heading for the door. “I’ll see you in class tomorrow.” She grinned at Alexis.

“Sound great to me!” Alexis replied, hugging her briefly. “Kel?” Alexis called.

“Yeah?” Kelly turned, keeping one hand on the door.

“Thanks. You know, for what you said?”

“Any time Alexis.” Kelly left, the door latching behind her.

“Are you ready?” I asked Alexis, offering her my arm. She smiled and bashfully linked arms with me.

“Be safe now!” Lily teased as we walked out. “Make good choices!”

“Oh shut it.” Lex giggled, rolling her eyes at her best friend.

“Don’t be a fool, wrap your -” Harry began as Alexis turned around, lunging at him.

“Harry!” She laughed as they tumbled to the ground. Lily burst into laughter, helping Alexis up from the floor. “Sorry.” She turned bright red as she moved back to my side.

“You’re okay darlin’. He had it coming.” I winked at her as we left the flat. We were halfway down the hall when we heard Harry’s yell.

“TOOL!” His burst of noise was followed by fits of laughter from both him and Lily.

I opened my mouth to apologize for him, but Alexis spoke first. “It’s gonna be a good night.” She smiled, raising up on her toes to kiss my cheek. I smiled, continuing down the hall to the stairs so we could start our adventurous night together.
♠ ♠ ♠
Lex's date outfit: http://www.polyvore.com/lex/set?id=85109430

Thanks for being so patient guys! I'm hoping to have another one up soon :)