Status: One-shot.

Two Can Keep a Secret If One Of Them Is Dead

1/1

Rustling of chairs and people moving. Hushed whispers of bewilderment as a beautiful young woman got up from her seat, walking slowly towards the podium.

Lucy Gaskarth was dressed in a knee-long black dress, a nifty ribbon tied around her small waist. Her long dirty blonde hair hung in curls over her shoulders, her plump lips distorted into a tight frown. She cleared her throat twice. The first time because she felt the need to, the second time because the freshly turned 18-year-old wanted the other guests to give her their full attention.

Risking a quick glance at the already closed coffin to her right, she shut her eyes, taking a deep breath before she began. Her voice that reminded one a lot of her father's, loud and clear, re-echoing from the walls of the packed church they were in.

"Alexander William Gaskarth was a lot of things, a lot of supposedly important things." she spoke, looking her grinch of a grandmother directly in the eyes for a brief moment "He was a businessman belonging to the upper class, a wealthy man. A good son and husband. He was brilliant, highly successful even, at what he was doing for a living. His clients loved him, his colleagues loved him, his wife loved him," she searched her mother's eyes in the crowd, shooting her a meaningful glare when she eventually found them "even his boss loved him." she paused, letting her eyes wander through the mass of people dressed in tuxes and pretty dresses. People she knew full well that her father never held any real interest in.

"But more importantly than that," she spoke, a small somewhat reminiscing smile playing on her lips "more importantly than that, Alexander William Gaskarth was a loving father who never failed to let his daughter know that he loved her more than anything. He was that kind of father that crept into ones room on some nights, hot chocolate in hand, to sit on your bed, and talk for hours until the sun rose. He was that type of father who lied to my mother about my whereabouts, and let me stay out way past my curfew because he knew what it felt like to be held back by his parents." another glare in the direction of both her mother and her grandparents, who just stared at the girl in shock, feeling unaccustomedly degraded "He would tell my mother I was going out with him to have dinner with his best friend Jack when I was actually leaving for a party." she laughed softly, watching the attendees gasp, their eyes scanning the crowd for said best friend, in vain. Jack Barakat hadn't turned up to his best friend's funeral, not that Lucy expected him to.

"Alexander William Gaskarth was the best father one could wish for, and he was all mine. Mine to sing me to sleep, mine to blast Jimmy Eat World in the car with, mine to goof around with, mine to have silly arguments with. I bet that none of you had the tiniest hunch that, beneath his business-y behavior, this man was the most loving and caring person one could ever be blessed with. It's a loss for all of us, for every single one of us. You," she glanced up before averting her eyes once again "you lost a business partner, a friend to go to football games with. You lost a son that tried his hardest to comply with your wishes, to meet your demands. You lost a husband that you claimed to love when you didn't, but I lost a father. A father whom I loved with all I might, whom I still love. I lost a father who would have given up everything to make me happy because unlike you, he had a heart. A heart filled with love and music and dreams. And that very heart means more than all of your success together."

And with that Lucy got down from where she was speaking into the microphone, walking right past all the agitated people she had just insulted with a triumphant smile.

Pushing the wooden double door open she stepped into Baltimore's chilly air, a light drizzle coming down to slightly dampen her hair, not that she found it in her to care about such insignificant things. Because the beautiful blonde was to leave the town that brought her father so much grief. She was to leave and to never return.

-

Thousands of miles away in the bedroom of a gorgeous mansion, Jack Barakat rolled down from his lover, coming down from his amazing high. He laid next to him, pulling the beautiful man as close to him as possible, gently stroking his arm with the tips of his fingers. "I love you." the raven-haired man murmured, peppering the other's neck with soft kisses.

"I love you, too." the man in Jack's arms smiled, turning around and pressing their lips together in a sweet kiss.

"Alex?" the younger whispered after a moment of silence, continuing when he heard the other hum "Do you think Lucy managed to leave without much fuss?"

Alex looked up from where his head rested on Jack's chest, pressing a kiss to his cheek, mumbling against the soft skin "I'm sure she did, baby. You know that girl's clever." he chuckled, smiling fondly at the thought of his daughter.

"Yeah, you're right. It's a good thing Luce took a liking to Hong Kong when she was younger, nobody will question her choice to take over your company here."

The caramel-haired man hummed in agreement, laying his head back down, and closing his eyes. "I'm ecstatic that she wants to come and live with us." he said, earning a nod from his beau.

A comfortable silence fell between the two grown-ups. No words were spoken as they caressed every inch of the other with gentle touches, featherlight presses of lips, and soft smiles, not that any where needed. They were happy with just holding their significant other, a broad smile on both their faces as each other's heartbeats lulled them to a peaceful sleep.

This was exactly what both of them had been craving since they met all those years ago. This was what should have happened instead of Alex getting married to a mercenary witch, but none of them could bring themselves to regret the decision the elder's parents had made for him twenty years ago because otherwise Lucy would have never been born, and they both loved the blonde girl to death.
♠ ♠ ♠
I did a thing.