What I'd Never Tell Him

Chapter Fifteen

It all seemed perfect. For the next two weeks, Cam’s life ultimately changed. Just like that, he’d made a total 180.

His asshole persona disappeared as his four newest friends (Matt K., Lee, Nicholls, and Jordan) and his new boyfriend reappeared. Everything was perfect once again. They accepted Cam and Oli for what they liked, and Cam respected them as a band.

He often caught himself regretting his past behavior, and laughing at himself for not knowing. Little did he know, less than a month ago, they had been at that red carpet event, practically clawing at each other in hatred.

He was submerged in this new and irresistible life and he loved every minute of it. It was always so relaxed and finally, after all this searching, he finally felt as though he belonged. He finally felt like part of an f-

“Earth to Cam, snap out of it, buddy.” Jordan snapped in front of him as the boys burst out in an array of laughter. Oli grinned up at him, tightening his grip around his arm.

“You’re always off in dreamland.” Oli mused up at him, raising his eyebrows curiously.

This caused a chuckle out of Cam, shaking his head. “I’d say it’s better than reality, but nothing can be better than this.” Cam stated, with a small, loving smile shining down at Oli. This caused a blush on his cheeks. Cam loved making the other male blush.

“C’mon lads, get a room.” Lee complained, but he was biting back a smile. Cam knew all he wanted was for Oli to be happy, and Cam just hoped that’s what he caused Oli to feel.

Just as Cam was about to retort, the doorbell rang. The boys curiously looked around to one another. “It must be the pizza.” Nicholls provided, as they all nodded along, but no one seemed to remember ordering.

As Nicholls headed towards the door, a bad feeling suddenly settled on them. They weren’t sure what it was, but they ignored it.

Nicholls pulled open the door and revealed a small couple, the man balding and the woman’s dark hair straightened straight. Oli’s eyes widened, as Cam glanced at him curiously.

“Mum? Dad? What are you doing here?” Oli questioned, as Lee nudged him causing Oli to force his lips into a smile.

“Oh, we came to check out your new house, Oliver!” Mrs. Sykes chimed, as she let herself in, her husband dragging the bags behind them.

Oli looked stunned as his mother stopped short in front of Cam, examining him. “And who is this god-sent?” Mrs. Sykes mused as she examined Cam from head to toe.

“I’m Cam…Cam Gigandet. I’m Oli’s, er-” Cam glanced at Oli for help as his face looked mortified as he understood briefly. “I’m Oli’s friend.” Cam decided as Oli looked relieved. Cam understood, he hadn’t told his parents get either, but something proved that this situation was entirely different.

“Well, Oli’s friend, I’m sure you understand that we need some family time, with the exception of the band.” Mr. Sykes interrupted, as Cam felt the sting of rejection.

“Mum, dad, he can stay really.” Oli pleaded for a moment, looking drastically younger than normal.

“No, no. Oli, it’s fine. Really.” Cam smiled and began to shrug on his leather jacket and head to the door. “I’ll just catch you later.” He promised, with a small reassuring smile proving that he’s okay.

“I hope you mean later as in dinner?” Mrs. Sykes offered. “It’d be a pleasure to have you here.” She flirted, as Cam bit back his laugh with a nod. He said his goodbyes and headed home.

He nervously got ready through out the day, hoping that he would pass this dinner. He could practically cut the tension between Oli, the band, and his parents. There was history behind it all that Cam was not sure that he would ever understand.

He made a promise to himself then that he would not cause any unnecessary drama in the already up-tight family.

Around five o’clock he began to head next door. Oli answered the door, his face drenched in apology, as Cam smiled. “It’s okay, love.” Cam promised, pecking his cheek, before sneaking into the living room.

He was taken aback to find the dining room table fully functional and in use, which was a drastic difference compared to usual. As of normal, the table was covered in the boy’s dirty laundry, empty wrappers, and whatever else it could hold. Never in the month he’d been here had he seen it clean.

“I’m glad you made it, Cam.” Oli’s mother greeted him, in her pristine dress. He thanked her and made his way towards his dining room seat.

Everything went well for a while, but the television blared obnoxiously in the background. The news began on the topic of marriage equality, which caused a horrible awkwardness between everyone who knew.

“Those damn faggots always trying to be equal.” Mr. Sykes stated, as Cam’s shoulders squared.

“I know, Ian. It’s pathetic and disgusting. Imagine them in our churches.” Mrs. Sykes sighed, shaking her head.

Cam glanced at Oli’s blazing cheeks, as he felt instantly horrible for the other man. He desperately wanted to wrap his arms around him and protect him from the parents horrible words. He understood now.

“It’s all about personal preference, Mr. and Mrs. Sykes.” Matt K. offered, with a small and weak voice.

“Please don’t tell me you support such disgusting creatures, Matt. You’re a better person than that.” Oli’s farther spat, his face scrunched up in disgust.

Just as Cam was about to speak up, Oli’s chair scraped against the table as he made a run for his room. The table held an awkward silence, but Cam couldn’t take Oli’s parents calculating expressions. Instead, he took a run after the boy, letting the homophobes comments linger behind him.