What I'd Never Tell Him

Chapter Five

Cam kept his breathing calm as he walked back to his house, listening to the crunching sand under his shoes. He had taken the long way back, not quite ready to face the large and empty house once again. His stomach churned as he thought back to the conversation.

Is that really all Oli thought of him? He wasn’t a no good celebrity, with no soul. Sure, he had too much money for him to handle, but that wasn’t his fault, it was just good money management. Cam scoffed at this. Do all of his fans think that? No…it was just Oli that assumed that, because Cam was what Oli could never be. Oli’s opinion didn’t matter at all.

But, if it didn’t matter, then why was he freaking out about it?

Cam hushed the small voice in his mind as he continued back to him place. He couldn’t get the tattooed boy out of his head, his face circling around in annoyance. Why was that god-damned asshole so hard to forget? Maybe it was the fact that that night Cam continued to search the bands music, despite knowing that he shouldn’t. He replayed the events in his head, as he tried to analyze everything.

Why did he get so affected by it? Why had he tried to carry on the conversation? Why had he been excited to see him to begin with?

The reason didn’t matter, he was just lonely that was all. He was looking for any form in interaction he could get, and that’s why he stayed there so long to begin with. He hadn’t been staring at Oli anyway, just at his tattoos. Maybe Cam should get a tattoo one day.

This thought process followed him all the way into bed where he continued to think about the boy until he fell asleep, slowly and then all at once.

~*~

That morning, Cam woke up with a start, covered in a gleam of sweat. His heart was racing and his mind was trying to catch up. He had dreamed of Oli… Why had he dreamt of Oli? Who knows, but he did and he tried to keep his discomfort down.

He slipped into his bathroom and splashed cold water on his face. He patted it dry and stared at himself for a few moments before having to tear his eyes away. He felt guilt and disgust in himself for the dream. He had to get his mind off it.

He slipped on running shoes and a wife beater, along with his swim trunks and took off down his street towards the beach. It was all relatively empty, as he raced up and down the sand dunes.

It was several hours before he even saw another person, and he was almost relieved to see someone else. The silence was pounding at his ears as he was desperate for any sort of other person.

His relief quickly turned into dread as his heart picked up. He neared the person, and quickly recognized the dark hair and the colorful artwork printed up and down his arm. He checked his watch, finding it to only be about eight in the morning.

Cam attempted to run past before hitting his toe on a shell, mentally cussing himself as he caused a scene. Oli turned around, his eyebrows wide as Cam remained his composure, trying his very, absolute hardest not to think about his dream.

“Well, Oli, it seems as though fate just keeps bringing us together, or are you simply following me?” Cam raised his eyebrows, trying to keep his tone level and his facial features under his control.

“It’s a beach, Cam, people go on it.” Oli stated, dryly, turning back towards the ocean as Cam was once again struck with the nagging urge to try and continue on the ultimately ending conversation.

“It is a beach, but not many people come out here at eight in the morning to look at the waves, dressed in their tightest of jeans.” Cam egged him on, cracking a pun about his pants, hoping to get a reaction, but only to be greeted by a sigh.

“It’s a good place to think.” Oli stated, staring forward. Cam waited for a moment, tapping his foot in the sand, as he hoped for some sort of response or snappy comeback but he got nothing.

“Well aren’t you psychological in the mornings.” Cam stated, hoping to get a reaction before he just sighed and sat down next to Oli. There was definitely an awkwardness in the air, but he couldn’t help it. He was going to force Oli to be normal and have a conversation with him one way or another, and it’s not his fault Oli was such an asshole with addicting properties.

“You deserved that red carpet.” Cam idly stated, under his breath. He continued staring out, keeping his head facing the ocean as he felt Oli’s eyes train themselves on him.

“What did you say?” Oli questioned him, his eyebrows arched high as Cam sighed, rubbing the back of his neck.

“You deserved the red carpet. Your band did…it’s a pretty cool band.” Cam stammered out, shaking his head with a smirk, glancing at Oli. “I will never admit that again.” Cam decided, brushing sand off his leg as he stared back out at the ocean, sitting in silence with Oli for whatever time they had left.