Status: I'd like to apologize for not updating. My life is really hectic right now, I just started university, and it's taking its toll on me. I haven't forgotten about this story and I promise you that I will update again when I'm ready for it. Thank you for understanding - Leen

Joke's on You

Chapter 10

Dawson

With my bag tucked high on my back, Alex and I made our way towards the arcade like every other time we skipped. It became almost a tradition with the kids in our group. Anytime one of us wasn’t feeling school, we’d head to the old arcade.

It was a run down place, it hadn’t been very popular since the early 90’s but it still had the best pizza (if you liked your crust doughy and buttery) and authentic games (Pacman galore.)

On the way there, we stashed our bags in Old Lady Murphy’s estate, hiding them in the overcrowded bushes. It’s been a safe spot for many years, so what’s stopping it now?

Hurrying towards the arcade, I found myself praying that no one we knew would be there. I’m not sure why, but I wanted it to be just Alex and I today, and something about that felt very important and special.

My prayers were answered as we threw open the doors to find the arcade practically empty, besides for a few smokers in the corner. It depressed me, I missed the age when the smokers actually played games.

Either way, we headed towards the front desk, money in their hands like the many, many children before them.

“Hello, Mr. Fitzgerald!” I greeted him with a grin, sliding the money across the table in exchange for gaming tokens. The comfort of the routine was almost eerie as he tried to block out last night.

“Hello, Donald.” Mr. Fitzgerald grumbled, peering between his foggy spectacles and his bushy white eyebrows.

“Actually, it’s Dawson.” I supplied, as I eagerly scooped the tokens into the little paper cups, as Mr. Fitzgerald grumbled in response. This caused a snicker from Alex as I shot him a look.

Let me explain Mr. Fitzgerald for you. His age is unknown, and utterly unplaceable. He has big bushy eyebrows, and a brushy beard that just rubs against his potbelly. He never remembers anyone specifically, but that’s all right. It’s Mr. Fitzgerald for you.

His parents used to run this arcade, but as he had grown and taken over himself. As the place deteriorated, so did his health. Now, he keeps his blood tainted with scotch, and you could smell him from a mile away.

“Same old Mr. Fitz.” Alex teased, as I chuckled with a nod.

“Same old Mr. Fitz.” I repeated, in agreement as we hurried to our favorite games.

We played for the next few hours, just like old times. For the first time since this stupid thing started, I forgot about the prank and all the feelings caused with it. Everything was okay for once, and it was just two friends skipping class like normal.

It wasn’t until we were digging into the pizzas did we even check the time. Groaning, I glanced at my watch. “We have exactly an hour to eat these pizzas and head back to my place.” I stated, with a shrug.

“Shall we finish this epic war at your house?” Alex challenged with raised eyebrows as I took a bite of my doughy pizza.

“Why, captain Alex, I will take you up on that offer!” I teased, with raised eyebrows.

As finished up our pizza and bid our goodbyes to Mr. Fitz. “Goodbye, Donovan and Andrew!” He stated. Close enough. You can’t get much better with him.

We hurried through the streets, grabbing our bush covered bags, and headed home. It was just when we were walking through the door, did we sense something was wrong.

My mom would always, and when I say always I mean always, be in the kitchen. She’d always be cooking god knows what and she’d have her television blaring. The fact that she wasn’t unsettled us both. I gave Alex a look, as he reassured me with a nod.

“Mrs. Angie? Are you home?” Alex called out, as we heard a weep echo through the living room.

Taking off at a run, we headed towards the family room, pausing in our tracks. All that was viewable was my mother’s small figure bent over in sadness. Something was horrible wrong.

“Mom, what’s wrong? Are you alright?” I stated, my voice a bit hysteric. She was never like this, she was always the pristine housewife.

I felt Alex nudged me, which I ignored, until he preceded to jab my side. “What is it, Alex?” I stated, annoyed, before seeing his frightened look. I followed his gaze until I saw what horrified him.

It was Danielle.

In my living room.

Talking to my mother.

“Hello boys! I came over to give her the great news! You’re candidates for best couple in the yearbook. It’s horrible you didn’t come out to your own mother yet.” Danielle stated, as my mother let out another cry. Her eye’s danced devilishly as she mouthed to me one simple word,

”Checkmate.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Thoughts? :D