Status: I'd like to apologize for not updating. My life is really hectic right now, I just started university, and it's taking its toll on me. I haven't forgotten about this story and I promise you that I will update again when I'm ready for it. Thank you for understanding - Leen

Joke's on You

Chapter 12

Thirty minutes, a long phone conversation, and a half a cup of coffee later, Alex, his mother, his father, and his little sister, Clara, and I all sat around their coffee table. Alex and I sat closer than we should of, but the secret was already out. My mother had already told us.

I felt Alex’s hand reach across the couch cushions and hold my hand. I told myself that it was for comforting reasons, but it was the same ‘comforting’ reason that kept me from telling his parents that this was a joke. For some reason, he didn’t either. We both stayed quiet as they talked.

“I want you to know that we, as parents, support both of you.” Mr. Matthews reassured the two of us, in his white-supportive-father voice. Mrs. Matthews followed his suit with a series of nods.

“No matter what, we will always be here.” Mrs. Matthews smiled, as she glanced at me with a sympathetic grin. She had the same bright, endless eyes that Alex did. I kicked myself inwardly for noticing. It wasn’t weird though. I’d been best friends with Alex all my life; I was bound to make the comparison one of these days.

“When I mean always, we mean you are welcome to stay here as long as you want.” Mrs. Mathews added, laying her small, pale, manicured hand on my jean-clad knee. I gave her a small thankful smile.

“I’ll even sleep on the couch if you want me too.” Clara shrugged her thirteen-year-old shoulders, her brown hair sweeping just past her shoulders. They all had the matching dark hair adorned on their heads.

I let out a small smile at Alex’s, normally devilish, little sister. I could sense her attempts at making us feel all right, as I was obviously not. There was just so much a gay kid could take in a day. Well, fake gay.

The expectant stares of Alex’s family got to me, and Alex, as if magic, could sense that. He abruptly got up, pulling me up with him. “It’s getting late, and it’s been an incredibly long day. I think we should be getting to bed.” Alex stated, as I nodded along, stupidly.

He led me into his room despite his family’s parting words, as I sighed, dropping onto his bed. “That was something.” I stammered, rubbing my temples. With that, he scoffed.

“You could say that again.” He stated, peeling off his ‘school’ shirt, and changing into more comfortable things. I couldn’t help but have my eyes linger on his chest. I already knew what it felt like, after god knows how much wrestling as children. He had one of those chests that felt tones but still was smooth enough. It was exactly what I yearned for at the moment. My stomach churned as I foolishly thought this. Instead, I cleared my throat and blurted out the burning question in my mind.

“You didn’t tell them.” I managed to get out, as Alex turned to me for a moment, catching my lingering stare. Blushing, I hid behind my bush of hair, staring down at my twiddling fingers.

When he glanced away, I allowed myself to look back up, forcing my eyes to stay on his eyes. “I didn’t find it necessary. Your mom didn’t believe us, why would mine?” He offered, but we both knew better than that. We knew his parents were ultimately different then mine. Something in the air had shifted as something unspoken had been transferred but none of us knew just what that was.

“How about a movie?” He offered, breaking the glass wall that seemed to be blocking the true words. The lump in my chest ran away like a frightened kid, as I nodded with a shrug.

“I get to pick it. Your movies suck.” I teased him, running towards his game room. I collapsed into his large plush couch, stealing the remote before Alex even got in the room.

“That’s no fair. Your legs are longer.” He pouted, as I rolled my eyes.

“Get your ass over here as I pick us our entertainment for the night.” I chuckled, patting the spot, his spot, on the couch next to me.

After endless fighting, despite the fact it was my pick, we finally settled on the Breakfast Club. This had got to be the sixtieth time we’ve seen it, because Alex and I both mumbled it under our breath. Eventually, our mumbles got slower as we slumped on each other and fell into a blissful sleep.

~*~

The white noise of the television woke me up, as I yawned for a moment, stopped only by a weight on my chest. The dark hair that accompanied a head I knew all too well greeted me.

My stomach flipped, before I calmed myself. It wasn’t like we hadn’t fallen asleep on each other before. This wasn’t weird. This was normal for two best friends who watch movies and pretend to date. It was normal, it was okay.

Still, I didn’t have the heart to wake up, not even with my heart loud enough to do it itself. I hated myself for this reaction, but I couldn’t help it. Instead, I bit my lip and relaxed, flicking off the television. Suddenly, the room was dark and filled with a comforting silence. Unable to help it, I found myself nodding off. The couch…it was just so soft.

Suddenly, the game room disappeared, and a new scene took place. T There was someone else in it’s place, someone else leaning over me and grinning…

A hand cupped my cheek gently, and a pair of lips planted themselves over mine. His kiss was enough to send an electric shock surging through me. Eager for more, I reached upward and knotted my hands into his beautiful dark hair. “Mmm…” I liked this. I really, really liked this.

But something was horribly wrong. The feeling was fading and I was losing him… “No, don’t leave…I…Alex…no”

My mumblings were answered with crash that brought me crashing back to reality. That butterfly/nausea feeling crept into my stomach again. My eyes burst open, to find the dark haired boy staring at me, shaking me softly.

Startled, I abruptly sat up, and turned to him. “You were talking in your sleep.” He explained in a whisper, his face odd and twisted. I glanced away with a shrug.

What was I saying? What had he heard? Did he know…did I even admit to myself that…I had just dreamed of making out with my best and only friend, Alex Matthews.