Status: I'd like to apologize for not updating. My life is really hectic right now, I just started university, and it's taking its toll on me. I haven't forgotten about this story and I promise you that I will update again when I'm ready for it. Thank you for understanding - Leen

Joke's on You

Chapter 2

Dawson

I shifted awkwardly on my feet, crossing and uncrossing my arms, watching Danielle harass Alex over and over again. I detested her. I’m not sure why exactly, besides the obvious fact that she was bat-shit crazy.

Something else was wrong though, and I couldn’t explain that. Until then, I would just have to go on with my little, tiny, everyday victories. I unconsciously floated in and out of the conversation when suddenly my ears perked up.

“I don’t believe you. So, who is it then?” Danielle questioned, her eyes shining with the pure fact that she knows she’s right. I hated that glow and suddenly, I was talking before I actually knew what hit me.

“He’s going with me.” I suddenly blurted out, trying to control the surprise across my face. I felt Alex’s eyes linger on me, his face confused, as I remained composed. I glanced over at him, with a wink in my dark eye. “Ain’t that right, Alex?” I tested him, hoping him to go along with it…whatever it was.

“Yeah that’s right.” Alex thankfully went along with it. His face twisted at an odd angle as he stated again, “We’re…gay.” He shuddered out as I felt my lips twist up in a small smirk at his discomfort. This whole thing made both of us sick, I could feel it in my stomach. I could easily compare it to butterflies, except for the fact it made me want to vomit and it was towards my best friend. Anything else would be completely absurd.

“Haha, you’re always the funny guy.” Danielle giggled out, wiping a fake tear from her fake laughter out of her eye. “Don’t be ridiculous.” She stated, as I squirmed. My hatred flared again.

“No, he’s right, Danielle. He broke up with you to be with me.” I snapped, throwing my arm around Alex like usual, except this time he didn’t throw me off. That set me off a little bit, but I continued on with my rant. “We are going to make the grand entrance at the dance.” I smirked, sneaking a glance at Alex, wondering if this is how my prom pictures are going to end up. That nagging stomach feeling was still there but I ignored it.

“Be gay all you want, Alex, but in the end, you’ll come crawling back to me and you know it.” Danielle hissed though clenched teeth, stomping away like an angry toddler. Almost immediately, Alex scooted away from my arm, letting it fall back to my side.

“What was that about?” Alex immediately began questioning me, as I shrugged, attempting to stay casual. Crossing my arms, I raised my eyebrows, practically saying, ”You know what I’m doing.”

“Oh man, I just came up with the ultimate prank to end this year! All the other pranks we pulled are nothing against this one. We could make everyone believe we’re gay for these last few months and in the end we’ll tell everyone the truth. Dude, this is going to be so much fun! And imagine all the chicks admiring us after our prank is chosen as the best prank of the year! We’re going to be real chick magnets, Alex,” I began rambling, trying to cover the awkwardness of the whole situation. I pretended like I had it under control and it wasn’t freaking me out at all. Because it was…obviously.

“And I get rid of Danielle!” Alex stated, enthusiastically, immediately calming me. Alright, he knew it was all planned out, which is good. There can’t be anything too weird about this, except the fact that I’m dating my best friend. Then again, he can be like a girl, he’s shorter than me anyway.

“The plan is genius.” I promised him with my famous crooked, sloppy grin. “Let’s get to the next class, honey.” I stated, standing up, letting him flank behind me.

My mind was running on an all-time high, thinking through everything. They’d have to tell their friends eventually, and that should be messy. It was necessary though, or else the prank wouldn’t work.

I felt eyes already peering at us as I wondered who already knew. Danielle was one for gossip, and by the time we get to lunch, an hour from now, who would know by then? I tried to continue talking about it before Alex’s hand interrupted my thoughts.

Slowly, I felt the other male’s fingers wrap tightly around mine, as I cleared my throat, glancing at him awkwardly. I was immediately met with his equally frightened glance, looking for advice. Great…I thought.

So I was the leader here, and it was my job to make the moves. I let out a dry laugh in my head, as I realized I’d be the man and the leader in this relationship, if that’s what you call this messed up pairing.

“Just to keep the effect, you know?” Alex explained quickly, his voice evidently uncomfortable as I was forced to smile, shaking my head.

“Don’t be such a dweeb about it, Alex. We’re the schools it couple now.” I teased, with my famous lying smile, flashing my bright teeth at the awkward boy next to me.

I have to be the wrong one about this, or else it will never work. It’s normal, I kept reminding myself. It’s normal to be faking a relationship with your best friend, that’s what all the cool kids do.

It was completely normal.

And it will be the best prank of the school’s history.