Status: I'd like to apologize for not updating. My life is really hectic right now, I just started university, and it's taking its toll on me. I haven't forgotten about this story and I promise you that I will update again when I'm ready for it. Thank you for understanding - Leen

Joke's on You

Chapter 4

Dawson

I hated seeing the terror and fear in my best friends eyes, and I hated having him upset. I hated having people pick on him and I hated the feeling that I caused this even worse. Then again, that was just the protective older-brother-but-really-a-friend sort of reasoning, right?

Either way, I couldn’t help but reassure him everything was going to be okay, because in my mind, it would be. It had to be, right? There was no way this could end too badly and either way, college was only months away. I shot the younger boy a smile, hoping to calm him feelings down just a little.

“It will all be okay.” I promise him, with a slight, sloppy grin. There was some gleam in Alex’s eyes that proved that he believed me, which struck through me with relief and anticipation. I just hoped I could pull this prank off and leave him unscathed. No one wants his or her friend hurt, obviously.

“Now come on, we have some lunch to eat.” I stated, slipping my hand into his, the awkwardness still prominent in both of our features. We couldn’t help acting like this, though, it was just so different from what we were used too.

If you can’t imagine it, holding a girl’s hand and then holding a guy’s hand varies in many ways. Alex’s hand was rougher, firmer, and much bigger than most girls. Either way, my hand was still dominant and larger which comforted me slightly. I was just going to keep imagining a girl with intense man-hands and then it would all work, right?

We continued walking like that towards the cafeteria where we headed outside to our usual spot. Our group was staring at us expectantly as we plopped down. Various pairs of eyes followed our every move, many eyebrows were raised as I sighed.

Maybe I should explain to you the complexities of our group.

“So, whose the girl in this relationship?” Logan questioned, his bright eyes and messy brown hair tilted to the side as his twin, Lucas rephrased his question. “Yeah, whose the girl?”

Logan and Lucas are the only other two boys who understand Alex’s and my need to prank the school, which naturally made me want to tell them, but I had to refrain for Alex and Danielle’s sake.

Their outburst caused a gasp from Kylie, the good girl in our small group. “You can’t just ask some one about their gender roles, Butlers!” Kylie stated, sounded taken aback. Butlers is simply what we refer to the boys as a whole as, it was just easier.

Logan and Lucas shrugged back, the puppy-dog look about them receeding but their eyes stayed hopeful for this information. I shrugged at this.

“I guess me, I’m taller and all.” I stammered out, glancing at Alex looking for a confused approval, which he just stared back at me, equally lost as I was.

“Logan and Lucas, you owe me ten dollars.” The lazy voice floated from our last friend, Monroe. Logan moaned loudly as they simultaneously shuffled out their wallets. Her bright red-orange hair stuck out at different directions, as she opened her hand out to the boys, waving her tattooed fingers for money. A cigarette dangled carelessly unlit from her mouth. This wasn’t a rare thing, Monroe never did smoke, it was more of a statement.

“They took bets.” Kylie stared at us apologetically as a burst of laughter emitted from my mouth. I couldn’t help it, they just all looked so into it. That’s why we are who we are.

Our friends, not some dicks from the football team, were there for us. The only other piece of the puzzle missing was David, who preferred lunch with the jocks than sitting with us. It was nothing personal, it’s just how it all ended up.

“Well, Butlers, I’m honored, but I think I’ll let Dawson control this ship.” Alex shrugged, with a small joking smile across his face. I was glad to see how much more relaxed he seemed now compared to the fidgetiness that he was displaying earlier in the day.

Lucas shrugged at this, sitting back against the tree, his arms laid behind his head as Logan filled in what he was thinking. “Whatever, man, it’s your asshole.” He teased, his smile sloppy and relaxed.

Alex seemed to pale and then redden all at once at this thought as my eyes shot wide. Oh ew…they couldn’t possibly be imagining….I didn’t even let my mind roam there before Kylie slapped the back of Logan’s head, her glasses coming slightly ajar.

“Logan! That is absolutely uncalled for!” Her sweet voice rang through the air as she tried to stay tough. That was Kylie for you, a 5’1 stature of a pure, sickly-sweet spitfire.

I slung my arm loosely around Alex and pulled him close. “Don’t worry babe, I’ll take care of you.” I winked, hoping to make a joke out of it all, as I let out my famous ringing laugh.

“You two are already disgusting me with your cuteness.” Monroe stated sarcastically, slipping her unlit cigarette out of her lips and tapping it on her knee before putting it back between her lips.

Just like that, everything was normal again. Our friends were idiots, and the jokes were continuing. Everything was back to the way it was. That is, except for the fact my arm was still around my best friend boyfriend.

Oh and that now I was “gay.”