Status: I'd like to apologize for not updating. My life is really hectic right now, I just started university, and it's taking its toll on me. I haven't forgotten about this story and I promise you that I will update again when I'm ready for it. Thank you for understanding - Leen

Joke's on You

Chapter 6

Dawson

“We’re not fake-gay.” I stated, my jaw tight, my stomach turning with rage and embarrassment. How dare she call us out? And how dare she ruin our dance.

I couldn’t help but sneer at her, tightening my grip around Alex, as if holding onto him, and the prank, for dear life. We couldn’t loose it, not now, not in front of all of these people. I had to prove my feelings, well, my fake feelings that is. Suddenly, I was determined to win against this monster more than I ever had been before.

“Oh really?” Danielle retorted, as I let a slight, tight-lipped nod out. “Then prove everyone wrong right here and now.” She stated as both Alex and my shoulders squared themselves. We both knew what was coming next, and we both knew it was only a matter of time until it happened, but neither of us was prepared, especially not now.

It only took a simple word for us to feel the weight of this prank fall on our shoulders, like a ball and chain wrapped around our necks. “Kiss.” She demanded, as my blood ran cold and my neck restricted a steady flow of air. People slowly turned to us, ready to see it, ready to talk about it. It was my move and everyone was waiting on me and only me.

“Fine.” I growled at her, feeling Alex’s eyes on me. I glanced at him only for a moment, feeling my anger diminish into another feeling, but I couldn’t quite place it. My stomach flipped at his horrified look. I didn’t want this either, why was he acting like this? I didn’t want it at all…. because we’re fake-gays and only fake-gays, we both knew that….

I couldn’t stand to see his look much longer as I swooped down and let my lips press into his. He stood there, shocked, as I attempted to seem not surprised, as if we’d done it a thousand times. I wrapped my hands around his waist, as he stayed slack. I couldn’t blame him; I’m not sure how I was functioning. It may have only been a few seconds, but it felt like long enough to me. That feeling of kissing your best friend was back, but that feeling would have been easily mistaken for butterflies. But it wasn’t… it was just from kissing your best friend.

In those few seconds, I was fully conscious of everything around me, even with my eyes closed and my lips sealed. I heard the murmurs from our classmates, the faux-cooing from the twins, several camera’s flashing, and most of all, I could feel the hatred fuming off Danielle as I kissed her recently ex-boyfriend. That’s weird… I kissed her ex-boyfriend. Who would of thought?

It was Alex who pulled back first, a blush flying up to my cheeks when I realized I must have lingered too long. I didn’t let it phase me though, as I was immediately overwhelmed with victory.

“Fake-gay, my ass.” I stated, triumphantly, staring at Danielle as she growled, retreating into the crowd, as I turned to stare at Alex. My victory seemed to disappear as I glanced at Alex’s face, which was still horrified. No one could see him like this.

“Well, ladies and gentleman, we’ll need to excuse ourselves. After that mind-blowing kiss, I think you’ll have to excuse my boyfriend and I, we need to freshen up.” I excused us, dragging Alex into the bathroom. I quickly checked the stalls to make sure no one was in there, before turning to him.

“Did you see the look on her face?” I began laughing uncontrollably, a smile prominent on her face. “She thought we wouldn’t, but we totally showed her!” I laughed, before Alex interrupted.

“You kissed me.” Alex stated, his voice dull, his eyes widened. I raised my eyebrows at him, trying to play it off.

“Yeah? Where were you?” I teased, punching him on the arm, with a small, hopeful laugh that this conversation would not end strangely. “Earth to Alex, come back down to Earth.” I stated, slugging an arm out of him in habit, a small grin on my face.

“Dude, get off of me.” Alex stated, sliding out from underneath my arm as my stomach flipped. I crossed my arms defensively, trying to ignore the sinking feeling in my stomach.

“What’s your problem, Alex?” I stated, my voice sounding bitterer than intended, which Alex took an involuntary step back from. I took a deep breath, trying to calm myself from the anticipation of what was coming.

“My problem is that there’s no one around us, Dawson, why the hell do you keep touching me!” Alex sneered, raising his voice slightly as I quickly shushed him, with motions to lower his voice, as he reluctantly agreed. “We’re in private, dude. Be straight.” Alex shot back, as I sighed.

“I am acting straight!” I began defensively, my voice almost sounding desperate as he stared at me, his eyes dark in the dimly lit bathroom.

“Acting is different from actually being straight.” Alex pointed out, his voice like knives as they shot through me, I straightened my back and began to retort back, as Monroe busted through the boys bathroom, which didn’t surprise any of us.

“Get your ass together, they’re calling out the kings and queens in five.” Monroe stated, only momentarily taken aback by our defensive stances on the opposite sides of the small rectangular room.

With one last reluctant look at Alex, I tore out of the room, leaving Alex to answer to Monroe’s definite questions as I went and stood in the crowd with the rest of the senior class.