Status: I'd like to apologize for not updating. My life is really hectic right now, I just started university, and it's taking its toll on me. I haven't forgotten about this story and I promise you that I will update again when I'm ready for it. Thank you for understanding - Leen

Joke's on You

Chapter 8

Dawson

My face burned as I watched Alex and Danielle take the dance floor. I was so angry, humiliated, and hurt. My lungs unintentionally gasped onto air as tears began budding in my eyes. This wasn’t how this was supposed to go. I was losing against Danielle.

Though, there was something in me that knew that this was more than just Danielle. I wasn’t just losing against Danielle, I was loosing Alex.

No, I was the one winning. We still had a prank over everyone’s eyes, and no one knew this could be happening between Danielle and Alex. Why did I care so god damn much about this? If Alex wanted to be with her again, then so be it. I could still pull the prank myself.

I knew everyone’s eyes were switching from the King and Queen on stage to me, standing alone in the audience. I didn’t look around though, I just watched Danielle grind into Alex and Alex stare at her. He was looking, but not looking down her top, which was smashed against him.

I felt my hands ball into fists as she nibbled on his neck. We were the couple, that should be him on my neck, I thought. Suddenly, my blood ran cold. I had not just thought that.

Just as I was registering my thoughts, I saw the Royalty’s lips smash together as gasps came around me. Monroe looked infuriated, Kylie looked concerned, and the twins were awe-struck. And me? Oh, I was out the door.

~*~

The pavement slammed against my sneakers as I ran out of the building, god knows how many people staring at me. I felt embarrassed and confused as people outside stared at the monkey suit I was in.

Pulling in a shaky breath, I tried to hide my burning face in the darkness, as I took off for my house. Eventually, I couldn’t run anymore. My lungs burned and sweat dripped down my buttoned down shirt. I quickly ripped it off and ended up, blindly, in some playground.

I recognized it from where Alex and I spent the majority of our childhood. That infuriated me even more. I let out the yell of frustration I had been saving as I punched the play set. My hand quickly turned a fiery red as I cradled it in my hand.

I knew why I cared so much, I knew it deep down. I could never admit it though; no one could ever get to understand. The tears that had been tempting to blind me spilled down my blushing face as I held the hand I had hurt. Embarrassment and confusion flooded through me. Who was I anymore?

That’s when I heard the footsteps approaching. I knew who it was before they even neared. I had grown up hearing those same steps running up and down my stairs.

I kept my face down in the shade, hoping he wouldn’t notice me, but oh he did. It wasn’t until I looked up did I register the fact that witch had smeared her red lipsticks on his pink lips and left red stains on his neck. It wasn’t until he looked up did he register my puffy eyes and wet tears.

“You left your leech at the party.” I attempted to joke, but my voice came out as a raspy, coughing sound. That seemed my red face, but I was glad the dark shade could cover it.

“Why did you run out like that? Now everyone’s going to wo-“ He began, before I bitterly cut him off.

“This is stupid. Stop acting like you care, and I’ll stop acting in this stupid prank. It’s all a big game with you, isn’t it?” I sneered at him, my voice like venom, as I quickly cleared my throat. I was mad, but I wasn’t mad at him. I was mad at myself.

“What is up with you lately? And why the hell are you crying?” Alex asked, as I quickly wiped away whatever was left on my face. I hated tears, and I hated that I was acting like such a girl. He was right, something had changed.

“I don’t want to play this game anymore, Alex.” I mumbled, standing up, holding my balled up dress shirt in my hand. I turned my back to him as I shook my head. “I don’t know how long I can keep losing.” I stated, my voice deflated.

“You didn’t lose anything! She won this, but you’re good at revenge, you can get back at her!” He tried to reassure me, as I stared at him through dark eyes, shaking my head.

“I didn’t lose anything? Like hell… We’re all losing something, more than we even realize.” I mumbled to him, sinking down and placing my head in my cold hands, loving the comfort of them onto my pounding skull.

We sat in silence for a little, letting the passing cars and the chirping owls being the only sound that filled the newly built miles between us.