Status: Comments much appreciated :) x - Finished.

The Resident Leader

Father's Rage and Mother's Love

The police had sent out a fleet of four cars and a helicopter to look for Mirrorboy. I tried to tell them that he was unpredicable and likely to be a danger to himself. It wasn't his fault, he needed serious mental evaluation. He needed someone to care for him. Afterall, he had to be at least sixteen, maybe twenty at the eldest. I saw Mirrorboy for who he really was: a rejected child, on the run from a life that got out of hand.

I wasn't entirely sure I still hated him like I did when he first swaggered down that street looking like he owned the place. I couldn't help but feel if I had accepted him, or maybe just refused him drugs, we wouldn't be in this situation. It was all my fault. I should of seen past the cockiness and just accepted him as the weak child he really was. I should of taken a parental responsibility and refused to give him drugs, lectured him about their dangers then dragged him out of that club where I could keep him safe.

I had been invited to the police station to watch the footage live from the helicopter, after explaining why I was concerned about him. I needed to be sure that they treated him fairly with the respect that he deserved. I wanted to talk to him, to sit him down and apologise for leading him astray. I wanted him to go back home, to his friends and his family and just try and live there.

"We found his car, that one there." An officer said, pointing towards the screen. A rusting red Mustang was racing up the highway, one of my old ones. I grimaced and watched the footage from the helicopter. Only one man was in the car, and although the footage was blurry I could see he was dressed all in black, a black hat covering his black hair. It was clearly Mirrorboy.

He must've heard the sirens, because soon he was racing down the highway, being chased by all four cars. Two managed to get in front, and I already knew what was going to happen. The helicopter's camera moved to show an officer stood further up the road with a stinger, ready to throw it into the road to puncture the tyres. He drove straight over them at high speed and two tyres were blown; one front and one back.

Two cars drove along either side and his time was running out. The one to the left slipped behind, blocking him from the back. Two drifted in front to block him from escaping that way. My heart was in my throat as he pushed them further and trying his hardest to get out of the box.

Suddenly, the car on the right turned sharply, slamming directly into him and knocking him to the side with such force-

I nearly stopped breathing as the car rolled down the embankment to his side, the helicopter following it. The bank was exhaustingly steep, jagged bits of rock jutting out like the spikes on the stinger. The car kept rolling until it slammed hard against a rock, parts continuing to fall into the valley below. The bank was too steep for the police officers to attempt to get down, so the car and Mirrorboy were left there. What if it caught fire? What if he was in so much pain he couldn't get out?

"Ambulance and mountain rescue on the way. He's probably already dead, Over."

Time elapse, because time elapses are cool...

"Sorry mate, he's dead." Jack said quietly, handing me a piece of paper. "They found this in his car, you might want to read it."

I opened the crumbled paper with trembling hands. It was all my fault he was dead. I could've prevented this, I could've helped him work his way out.

'I didn't mean to kill Jimmy. It began. I felt sick, realising jut how vulnerable he was. He thought I was dead, the only person who could've helped him was dead. 'So take my life, he didn't deserve to die. I doubt anyone will miss me.

"It's called suicide by cop, it's when you act as a threat to make the police take action against you. I'm sorry, but there was nothing we could've done to save him." Jack said softly, his hand resting on my shoulder.

"It's my fault. He was only a kid, I should of tried to help." I whispered softly. It was like I had knocked him over that bank and I had taken his life.

"Listen, they're talking to his parents. Trying to work out what went wrong. Maybe they pushed him too. Don't take all the blame because you don't know why he ran away in the first place," Jack said softly. I sat there morosely, still feeling all the guilt and regret. "Hey, come on. You're St. Jimmy! What does he care about a stupid kid who killed himself?"

"Well what if St. Jimmy was a figment of his father's rage and mother's love?" I growled. Who the fuck do I think I am? How many other deaths have I contributed to since I came here?

I was sure Mirrorboy wasn't alone. How many other lost kids could I have saved had I spotted the signs and took note of them? I was the one to run this town, but how many people had sacrificed their lives to challenge or follow me?

"I can't do this anymore." I whispered, looking down at Mirrorboy's death note. Why did I have to push him away and regard him as a cocky little twat? What if he really needed me?
♠ ♠ ♠
SORRY NOT SORRY.
Suicide By Cop