Status: Part I and II- Complete!

All That I've Got

chapter 17- take the stairs

Gerard’s P.O.V.

An trilling alarm had Gerard jolting up from sleep. He went to his door and stuck his head out into the hallway. He could see the other Floor 19 residents doing the same, metal limbs and oddities flashing in the red strobe that filled the air now.

Gerard went back into his sparse room and pulled on some real clothes and his shoes, then he went over to Mikey’s room.

He found his brother looking out the room’s window.

“There’s a fire, Gerard,” Mikey said, turning wide eyes back to Gerard.

Oh, no.

Gerard was back into the hallway in a second.“Fire!” He shouted.

Down the whole hallway people started to emerge completely from their rooms. Panic spread like a plague and people started rushing toward the stairs.

Gerard knew what they’d find. There were twenty three of them on Floor 19, and they all had abilities. The Jury would never trust them, and though their room’s weren’t locked, Gerard knew the doors in the stairwell would all be locked, letting none of them escape.

“It’s no use,” Mikey voiced Gerard’s thoughts.

“I know,” Gerard said, “but maybe the fire wont spread.”

“I watched it, it’s moving up the floors. Someone’s doing this on purpose.”

Gerard’s eyes widened, “You think the building’s being attacked?”

“I think that was someone’s plan, but it must’ve gone wrong, so now they’re just destroying it all. At least, that’s what it looks like,” Mikey shrugged.

“How can you take dying so calmly, Mikey?” Gerard squealed. He shoved his hands into his hair and shut his eyes. “I don’t want to die. I don’t want you to die, or Fr-”

Mikey caught onto what Gerard was doing as soon as he brother whirled and started sprinting for the stairs, and he followed.

Gerard pushed past the metal-limbed people trying to go down to the lower levels. Instead of following after them, he charged upward. The upper floors weren’t used very often, maybe the doors wouldn’t be locked. Gerard took the steps two at a time.

He had to get to Frank. His whole body needed to make sure Frank was okay. He didn’t need an explanation, but he knew Frank belonged alive. Frank belonged with him.

That thought had Gerard shoving open the 21st floor door, and practically sobbing with relief when it opened without protest.

“Slow down!” Mikey shouted from somewhere behind him, but Gerard kept going.

He reached Frank’s door and his heart dropped. It was dead-bolted, and Gerard had given the key back to a Jury member after delivering the food.

Gerard slumped against the door, and covered his ears from the too-loud siren. Lights were still flashing and now Gerard could smell the fire, even from up here.

Mikey reached him, and kneeled at his side. “Gee?”

“I don’t have the key,” Gerard knew his voice was flat.

Mikey shoved Gerard aside, then and started pounding on the door. “Frank! Frank, wake up!”

Over the noise, they both heard the reply: “Gerard?!”

His name from Frank’s mouth was so completely right. Gerard moved back to the door, and flattened his palms against it. “Frankie, there’s a fire. But- but I don’t have the key. I’m so sorry,” he called, hope dropping onto the floor with every word.

Inside it was quiet for a second, then Frank’s voice came from right next to the door. “It wouldn’t matter anyways. . .”

Gerard heard the resignation in Frank’s tone and it broke his heart. This couldn’t be happening. . . .

But it was, and Gerard looked to Mikey, “You have to go. Try to escape. You can fly, so break a window and get out of here.”

“Not going to happen. There will be no ‘save yourself’ heroism, Gerard. We’re a package deal, and I’m staying with you. With you, and with Frank, who really does love you. You loved him too before I made you forget,” Mikey’s whole face looked crumpled. “Please forgive me. You too, Frank. I’m sorry, I did this to you guys.”

“Mikey-” Gerard started, but he couldn’t fill the air with words. He’d loved Frank. And. . he still did. He could forget memories, but this feeling was something he couldn’t, and wouldn’t, ever get over.

And now him and Frank were doomed to die, a metal door the only thing keeping them apart.

Before anyone could say another word, there was a noise from inside the room, and Frank yelped.

“Frank?!” Mikey and Gerard both shouted.

Frank’s voice came from further away. “There’s someone at my window.”

The terror in Frank’s voice had Gerard scraping his nails on the door, to no avail.

Then there was another yell before something just exploded in the room, the crash resounding louder than the sirens and the pounding of Gerard’s heart. The world around Gerard went silent from the shock, and he forced to his hands and knees.

Just as the dust settled around them, a force smashed into the door, sending it blowing backwards, taking Gerard and Mikey with it. Brick and metal showered them for a moment, and when Gerard managed to look up, there was a man in the gaping door-shaped hole.

The man had spindly insect legs, like some of the girls had here, but he wasn’t a resident of Floor 19, Gerard could just tell. Behind him, fire raged in the small room, and smoke billowed out the now shattered window.

And then Gerard’s eyes landed on the figure in the man’s arms.

Frank. Limp and bloodied.

“What happened?!” Mikey shouted at the man, having managed to unbend his wings and stand, menacingly.

“Something hit him in the explosion,” the man was almost nonchalant when he spoke. “You two are prisoners, correct?”

Gerard nodded without thinking, eyes still glued to the motionless Frank.

“Come with me,” the man ordered, then he was back to the window and pushing his irregular body out the ragged hole.

“Frank!” Gerard shouted and reached to stop the man, but he was gone, out into the night.

He turned to Mikey, “Help!”

Mikey didn’t hesitate- he grabbed Gerard around the middle and they were through the smoke and licking flame, Mikey’s wings catching shifting air and they were sailing into the sky.

Below them was an alley, and Gerard could see the insect-man loping down to the street. They followed, swooping low so they were just above him.

The man smiled when he saw them, then led them around a corner and to another alley that faced the burning building.

Mikey landed, and Gerard was running flat out in a second, reaching for Frank.
♠ ♠ ♠
20 subscribers yay <3 makes me happy