Status: Part I and II- Complete!

All That I've Got

chapter 8

Frank had been in Chicago for a month now. Slowly, the phantom that was his old life had faded away. A ghost, but by no means gone.

Still, he felt good here. He liked school with Alex, even though he had to wear a scratchy polo for uniform.

The first day at school, Frank’s stomach had filled with jostling birds (they were too distracting to be butterflies), but he’d survived. Alex had made sure that Frank met his friends too, and Frank found himself fitting in with the vulgar but funny group immediately.

Now each day after the final bell, Frank and Alex would make their way to the 7-11 just outside the city. Alex would buy Frank cigarettes, a habit Frank had discovered he’d had, much to Chris’s distaste.

Then they’d suck down slurpees, or when they were too wrapped up in jackets and scarfs to want anything cold, they’d buy hot coffee instead.

When they finished in the gas station, they’d usually drive down the streets of the suburbs, windows cracked to the freezing air and The Lawrence Arms blasting.

---

Very slowly, over the weeks, Frank finally got the answers Natalie had promised him. Not all of them, but enough for the time being.

Frank learned of the organization called The Jury. How they hunt down Individuals, the name for people like Natalie and Chris and the rest of them.

Chris explained that being an Individual meant you possessed abilities. And apparently that meant everyone in the house but Frank and the baby had some power or whatever the fuck.

Chris could sense other Individuals, Natalie had super-strength, Alex had a calming ability, Aaronlyn could sense thought directions, William could predict events, and even freaking Lucie could move water. Frank felt left out as shit. But Alex and Natalie worked to make him feel better, and eventually he did.

His life became this weird mismatched quilt of normal school days, normal relationships, but not-so normal people. And he liked it.
♠ ♠ ♠
Gee in about 5 chapters!