A Player With a Game

XI

I had been far too embarrassed to return to work. Thankfully, Matt understood that. What he didn't understand was why I was so silent around him lately. He'd questioned my thoughts and feelings towards what had happened, but I just didn't want to speak about it. I was stupid to overreact. I should have gone to him first.

I had been cleaning after a few hours of hitting the gym. I wasn't desperate or in any kind of rush to find a job. My uncle had left me more than enough money to provide for a thousand families. But I didn't want to live like a queen either. I wanted to be smart. Work to stay at the financial level I was, but was not worried thinking where my next meal would come from. My rather loud doorbell rang, so I turned off my vacuum cleaner. I walked over to the door and looked through the peep hole. It was a beautiful blonde woman, one I had never seen before. I opened the door, sticking my head out to hide my pink, short, nightgown wearing body.

"Hello, I'm Lisa. Um, is there anyway I can speak with you? I'm - I'm Matt's ex wife."

I felt a lack of oxygen in my body, I shocked on the saliva that had been forming in my mouth. Suddenly, an angry Matt was seen running toward my door.

"What the heck, Lisa!?" he screamed. Her face seemed worried, but I didn't know if I should have opened the door to let her in or wait to see what Matt's reaction would be.

"Please, talk to me." she said, more begging than asking.

Matt came towards her, turning her around to face him. He looked upset, more hate rather than anger. I had never seen him look at anyone that way, and it hurt me to be standing there to witness it.

"What's going on?" I asked, pulling on my thin robe.

"I don't know why you're here," he told her, ignoring my question, "I shouldn't have told you about Arabella. It's none of your business."

"It is!"

"How is it?"

"You're the father of my child. I have the right to know." I felt my jaw drop, but his eyes stayed focused on hers, as if he was so sure that it wasn't true.

"Please, listen to me."

"Lisa, that's impossible and you know it."

"How is it?!" she screamed, hitting his chest and resting her head on him. He pushed her away, not losing eye contact with her.

"You didn't touch me for months. You were with other men, how the hell could we have a child together? Lisa, you're the woman who was afraid to get pregnant because you thought you'd get fat, remember? You actually expect me to believe that you had my child? You expect me to believe anything that leaves your mouth?"

She continued crying, but I didn't dare intrude. There wasn't much I could say. I didn't even know the woman who stood before me, the one who so desperately wanted Matt to touch her.

"What, he left?" Matt asked with a smirk.

"What?"

"Why else would you come here and make up a child?"

She stood silent.

"Huh?" he asked in a louder tone.

"Yes, he left."

"Well, you get the hell off of my girlfriend's property. And don't even think about stepping foot in mine."

"Matt, please. I never stopped loving you."

"Lisa, you told me that you stopped loving me. In fact, you told me that you never loved me. I stopped loving you the day I met Arabella."

I felt my knees shake. Was it bad to feel so beautiful inside after a man insults his ex wife? Am I evil for it.

"Alright then, goodbye. I won't bother you again."

She started walking away, but I couldn't help it. I ran after her, feeling Matt's hand try to reach me.

"Why did you come here?" I asked. I made sure my question came out more as a concern, rather than trying to pick a fight. She turned around, looking me but not saying a word, "I'm just curious. What drove you to come here? What do you want to know?"

"I want to know who's the woman that's taken my place."

"But why?"

"Because, I just - I...I don't even know. I just wanted to know who the next Lisa was going to be."

"What do you mean by that? I would never cheat on Matt. I hope you know that. And I don't want to leave him. If something happens, it's on him. So no, I'm not the next Lisa. You screwed up, you really did. Not only is Matt attractive, he's an actual great guy. He's respectful, he loves me."

"He didn't respect me."

"Well, maybe that's because you disrespected him in the worst way possible. Had you been different, you guys would only be neighbors I saw every once in a while. But now, Matt's the love of my life and you're his ex who's running back because she has no where to go. I don't want to end things like this with you, but I want you to know that I will never be the next Lisa. Use what happened with Matt as a lesson for your next relationship."

I walked away, grabbing Matt by the hand and bringing him to my house. I closed the door behind me and heard as she closed the front gate, leaving in complete silence. I kissed Matt passionately, a kiss he'd see on a movie. He didn't expect it and I felt his hands slowly cup my face. I pulled away, smiling at him and walking towards the kitchen.
♠ ♠ ♠
I know a lot of people like to use his actual wife's name and character when they do a story and he has an ex wife. I just don't feel like that's respectful to her or him, even though they'll never read this. So I picked a fictional character and named her Lisa. Hope you all understand.