A Player With a Game

XV

"Well?" I asked Matt as he sat in front of me.

He looked at me disappointingly, sighing before saying anything. He pressed his hands between his legs, "They still don't have any leads."

"What," I asked, "It's been two weeks!" I stood up, pacing back and forth. I'd been having constant panic attacks, I kept hearing things, waking up thinking the man was back. But Matt had made sure the house was even more secure now. I didn't even want to step foot in my own home, fearing the man was still there, as impossible as that sounded. I had been wearing Matt's clothes to sleep, and he'd let me take his guest room.

"Yes, but he must be a pro since he didn't even leave a clue. They couldn't find any trace of his DNA, there was no wine glass."

"He probably took it with him because his finger prints were all over it."

"What do you say we just forget any of this ever happened."

"You speak that way because it wasn't you who was attacked."

"And it being you hurt me more," he said, standing up, "I wouldn't be so nervous at work everyday wondering if you're okay if it had been me."

"Matt, I think I have to go."

"Go where? Arabella, you're safer here than anywhere else, you know that right? You're with me."

"But I'm right next to the house where it all happened, I'm always freaking out."

"Okay, then we'll leave for a little while."

"I'll leave."

"You're not leaving without me. Then I'll be freaking out."

I hugged him, sighing deeply as he hugged me back, "When are you gonna cut your hair?"

"I like it like this," he laughed, "I'm gonna pick up some of your clothes later."

~~~

"Are ya' done packin'?" Matt asked, faking an English accent.

"It'd help if you'd tell me where we're going." I replied, tossing in a pair of boots.

"Well, you won't need that."

"Is it gonna be hot?"

"Girl, whereva' you go, the place be on faiya'." he said.

"Dude, you're gonna have to decide on whether your accent is English and proper, or gangsta and awesome. So make up yo' mind." I played along, making him laugh too.

"It's a little warm. Nothing too hot, because I know you aren't really fond of heat."

"Is it like Dominican Republic?"

"Nope, it's nothing tropical."

"So, Florida?"

"No!"

"Um, what the heck other place?"

"It's in another country."

"Africa?"

"No, I'm not telling you, so quit it."

"I'll just find out when we get to the airport." I smiled.

"You evil hottie."

"Shut up, idiot." I laughed, trying to hide the fact that I was blushing. I grabbed a few sun dresses, shoving them in my suitcase. I tossed in some flats as well.

"What are you doing?" he laughed, pushing me aside. He grabbed the sun dresses that looked so small in his hands, folding them and neatly putting them in my suitcase, "And you're the girl." he poked fun.

"Oh, hush up. Do we need anything from downstairs?"

"No, we're ready." he smiled.

We started heading out.