A Player With a Game

V

Matt and I had been going out for two weeks. He was amazing, like no one I'd ever met. Everything he said sounded magical, he understood me like no other person. I started to smile more, and most times for no reason at all. I felt as if there was nothing that could take me away from him and with the looks and words he'd say, I felt as if he was feeling the same way about me.

I put down my wine glass as I felt myself blushing deeply. The way he made me feel didn't seem to go away, "Are you happy?" he asked. I felt my eyes widen and head pop up quickly. I didn't know how to answer him. What was it that he saw in me anyway? It's not like I was the most beautiful girl in the world.

"Yeah, yeah I am," I smiled, a strand of my hair falling in front of my eyes, "thanks."

"For what?"

"For making me happy. I don't think I'd feel like this had it been for you."

"Yeah," he smiled, slightly content with himself, "I care about you."

His lips curled up to form a corny smile and his deep dimples made me shake. His eyes were on me as I sat there looking at my lap and occasionally checking to see if his eyes were still glued to my soul, "Why do you look at me so much?" I asked. I didn't dare to look him in his eyes. He had the most frightening stare. Not that it was scary or anything, it was just so deep, he'd look you right in your eyes and talk with the utmost confidence, something I was never good at. People say that when someone can't look you in the eyes, it's because they're dishonest. But, the truth is that we're just a lot more shy.

"Why do you think?" he asked in a seductive, husky voice. I felt shivers all over my body and my hands started to tremble.

"I - I don't know." he had me weak, he knew what he was doing to me and had no shame to continue it. I looked over at the closed door. A private dinner wasn't the best thing at a time like this. What I was feeling for him I had never felt for any other man before in my entire life.

"You're the most beautiful girl I've ever seen. I like you so much," he said, whispering the last part.

"Why do you like me?" I regretted the question as soon as it left my lips. I was ready to run out when I felt his big hand cup mine.

"You're perfect -,"

"Anything but."

"No! You're perfect, you're beautiful and funny and crazy, and you drive me nuts sometimes. You make me happy now. I haven't been this happy in so long. You do the craziest things. You say the weirdest things. You're the best person to ever walk into my life."

"Thank you." I whispered.

"That's it? Why are you so tense today?" he asked, pulling me by my hand and making me walk over to him. He stayed seated as I stood beside him, his eyes looking straight up to mine, seeming bigger than they usually looked.

"I like you a lot." I felt emotional but held back my tears, my uncle's death had pretty much prepared me for that.

"What's so bad about liking me a lot?" he chuckled.

"I just -,"

"You just what?"

"I don't know. What if you don't feel the same way I do at some point? I can't deal with that."

"I don't think I can ever see myself not liking you."

"But, what if there's another prettier girl that me? And there always will be. But what if she treats you better and she's not as awkward?"

"I love how awkward you are. You're the best, Arabella. Trust me, okay?"

Trust him? I had never had a boyfriend, Matt was the first man to enter my life the way he did. And I still felt as if there was so much more I needed to know about him. Was he a player? Did he do this often? Was I just a rebound? Or maybe he really did like me. Maybe he wanted to be with me and did feel what he said he felt. There were so many thoughts entering my head but as the days would go by, I felt sincerity in his heart and I wanted to spend more and more time with him. And I wanted to get to know him in every way possible, and I wanted him to know me in every way possible.

And that we did.