A Player With a Game

VIII

I stood by the bus stop, waiting for my ride to arrive. There was never many people around, and I'd made it a habit of mine to take the bus whenever I had to go out. Unless that was for work, of course. Two woman took up the space in the bus stop. I felt intimidated by their model-like features and their leg baring outfits so decided that not siting by them would prevent them from even noticing me. I turned off my iPod, taking out my ear buds and shoving everything in the deep pockets of my hoodie. I finally heard their high pitched voices.

"Exactly, so what do you think it is that he wants if he's acting so nicely toward you? Life's not like movies. Guys aren't prince charmings. You need to face that. The longest a guy has been nice to me before realizing he won't be getting any is an hour."

"Yeah, but what if he's different?"

"You said the same thing about Tom, didn't you? And what happened? He boned you and never called again."

"I know, but I still wanna see where this takes me." the two women exchanged words. I stood beside them, attempting to mind my own business. But their words made me think about Matt. What if that's all he wanted? Why hasn't he made a move? My heart started beating louder and I felt as if they could hear me.

What does Matt want?

"Do you actually think he's not seeing other women right now? All he does is look into your eyes and rub his feet against your leg."

I dropped my mocha on the floor, causing them to turn towards me in panic.

"Are you okay, sweetie?" the most worried of the two asked.

"Y-yeah, yeah, I'm fine. Thanks." I smiled. I picked up the cup and threw it in the trash beside me.

"Why don't you sit down, here, I'll move over." she said, sliding herself closer to her boyfriend-problem-having friend. Thankfully, the bus arrived and the doors quickly opened.

"Thanks anyway." I said, making my way up the bus. I sat by a window up front. It was always emptier in the front so I decided to sit there. I didn't like making eye contact with people and I didn't like people even trying to make conversation with me. The bumpy bus drive filled my head with memories of the words of the women. What if that was Matt's game? What if he had done this before? Soon, the bus came to a stop, as close as it could get to my house, which was pretty far. I hoped off, being the last passenger, and started making my way home through the dark streets.

It had suddenly gotten so dark, from the time I was standing beside the bus stop, up until my getting dropped off. The street lights illuminated my way.

"Are you lost?" a woman walking out of her recently parked car asked.

"No, no, I'm on my way home. I don't live too far from here." I smiled. She smiled back and made her way into her rather small, white house. My walk was long, but I finally got to the area with the bigger houses, where most of the richer people lived. I arrived in front of Matt's house but didn't see his car parked, so I went home.

+

It was finally Friday after work, and all I could think of was how awkward the dinner with my fellow co-workers was going to be. Matt had been up to his usual flirty self, and I, well, up to my usual awkward self. I tried to seem as if I was okay with it, but the things he'd say and the things he'd do made me weak. And something inside of me told me that that was why he did it, to see my knees shake and tremble. I felt a hand slide down my back and I quickly jumped.

"Sorry for not speaking to you today." he smiled, as I turned around.

You didn't have to say much after all those gestures you were throwing my way. A wiggling tongue makes most women weak.

"It's okay." I grinned.

"You didn't eat much, did you?"

"All I had was a coffee today."

"Good, because we're going to eat so much today." he smiled. I nodded and picked up my bag.

"I'm gonna use the bathroom."

"Okay, use the one out front so I can lock up in here. I'll meet you by the car." he said. I walked out, making my way towards the bathroom. What exactly did he mean by "eat so much"? I slightly giggled to myself about the thought. However, my eyes suddenly widened when I realized what he might mean by it.

Holy, crap. I'm an un-sexually-educated female.

I jumped from my thoughts when two women walked in, speaking much louder than they should.

"I hear Matt's two timing his secretary."

"Sure, if he's not getting any."

"How would you know that?" she giggled.

"I mean, look at her. You can tell she has no experience whatsoever. She looks like an awkward teenager that has the hots for her teacher."

I frowned at her words.

"Yeah, but I hear it's with that skanky waiter from the coffee shop."

"No way." I quickly got up, slamming the door open so they could see me. I washed my hands and felt their jaws on the floor.

Was he really with her?