Status: check in for updates.

Remember Everything

1

With one final gasp, my body went limp. I exhaled heavily as beads of sweat rolled down my back. I regained my composure and lifted myself from his hips. I rolled onto the soaked sheets next to him. The sound of his breathing was enough to comfort me.

"Scout," he whispered. "come here." He extended his arms in my direction. I slid through the sheets and found myself watching his chest rise and fall with every breath. His left hand moved the lose pieces of hair from my face and tucked them behind my ear while his right ran up and down my back.

"That's my beautiful girl." he smiled. He sat up and brought his lips to my head. His gentle touch is what I longed for.

"Baby, I don't want you to leave." His eyes met mine.

"I know, kitten." He cooed. "But I'll be back before you know it. When I come home in two months, I'm here forever." I smiled at the thought of having him forever. Growing old with him sounded like the way I wanted to spend the rest of my life. He was a Seal in the United States Navy. He's two months away from finishing his last tour.

"Forever." He smiled and brought my lips to his, kissing me deeply. Moments like this are the ones you should always hold on to.

---

My eyes shot open. I looked at the alarm clock. It read 3:15 AM. I groaned as I sat up and rubbed my eyes. The clinking of the dogtags around my neck reminded me of him. I reached down the shirt he gave me and clutched on to the cold metal. I sighed. I tossed the blankets aside and I threw my feet over the edge of the bed to meet the cold wooden floor. I stood up and stretched before heading to the bathroom.

As I walked down the hallway, flashbacks flooded into my head. The photos of us hung all around me, most with a thin coat of dust gathering on the frame. I walked past the picture of us at the beach where we first met. His arms around my shoulders, both of us with sunburned cheeks.

I stepped onto the cold tile and ran my hand along the wall to find the lightswitch. The sudden light hurt my eyes. What I saw in the mirror wasn't someone i recognized. She looked like me, but there was something different about her. I turned to the side and lifted my shirt. A small bump protruded from the rest of my body. I ran my hand over it and inhaled.

I was pregnant with a baby he'd never hold. He never came home.
♠ ♠ ♠
comment, subscribe..anything. let me know what you think. should i make this a short story, or?