Status: check in for updates.

Remember Everything

2

I used the sleeve of his flannel to wipe away the tears that poured down my face. I had to pull myself together. I inhaled and exhaled slowly in an attempt to gain some composure. I looked at my reflection in the rear view mirror. I noticed a couple behind my car. The man was putting his baby girl into her car seat. I smiled at the thought of my baby going everywhere with us.

I slammed my door and winced at the creaking sound it made. I locked the door and made my way across the parking lot with my head down. I got to the entrance of the store and was rammed in the hip by a shopping cart. My head shot up and my eyes met a set of brown ones.

"Holy Shit. I'm so sorry!" The man blurted out.

"It's no big deal. I wasn't looking." I glanced down at his jacket. He was in the Army.

"No, it's my bad." He insisted.

"I'm Scout. Scout Taylor." I looked at his face again. He smiled. The dimples on his cheeks complimented his face nicely. He had short blonde hair that was neatly trimmed.

"Lieutenant Compton." He stuck out his hand. I reached out and shook his hand and smiled.

"Nice to meet you, Lieutenant." I blurted. We stood there for about a minute in silence.

"So, Scout, do you like coffee by any chance? I'm on my way to go get some if you'd like to join me." Is he seriously hitting on me.

"Yeah, but I kind of have to get going." I mumbled.

"Come on, just one cup. Let me make it up to you for hitting you with my groceries." He flashed a smile. I sighed. I wrapped my flannel around me to hide my bump.

"Sure, but just one." I sighed. Lieutenant Compton smiled.

"Cool, I'll meet you at the end of the parking lot and you can follow me to Starbucks, if that's okay with you." I nodded and turned around to walk to my car.

I unlocked the door and opened the creaky door. I plopped myself in the driver's seat. I slammed the door and sat there for a minute. I put the key in the ignition and revved the engine before pulling out and heading to the end of the parking lot.

I scrolled through the radio stations before I settled on the classic rock channel. I had the volume up a little too loud, but I didn't care. I sang my heart out along with Pink Floyd. Lieutenant Compton was waiting for me like he said and I waved him to go in front of me.

I pulled into the parking space closest to Lieutenant Compton. I waved at him as he walked over to my car. I opened the creaky door and slid out of the driver's seat. I tried to close the door to prevent the horrible sound from being too loud. It turned out to be even more ear piercing than normal.

"1973 Chevy Malibu?" Lieutenant Compton mused. He glanced over the car, and his expression was that of a kid in a candy store.

"1974." I corrected. "It's been in my family for a long time. It's my baby." I quickly covered my bump again and played it off as being cold.

"Beautiful." He smiled. "He nodded in the direction on the coffee shop. "Shall we?" He smirked. I nodded and followed him to the front door.
♠ ♠ ♠
thank you for the feedback, fascination. i'm glad you like this! i'm working on a layout for this. i promise!

comment, subscribe, recommend.

don't be a silent reader. tell me what you think.

as you may, or may not know, i like to interact with my readers. i post questions and ask you for a response. they're generally questions that ask you to state your opinion. it's pretty fun. :)

So, Lieutenant Compton. Army guy. Do you think he moved too fast with asking Scout to go with him for coffee? If you were her, what would you have done?

i love reading these, so don't be afraid to leave an answer.