Status: Leave me comments

The Rookie

Ten

The rest of the evening went pretty smoothly. I watched from afar as Sidney, Geno, and Beau all aced their interviews. Pittsburgh fans had loved getting to meet their beloved players. It amazed me how these guys were complete animals on the ice, but were actually real teddy bears.

I smiled as I watched Beau kneel down on one knee so he could be eye level with a small boy. He was wearing a mini Bennett jersey and had the biggest grin in his face. I'm guessing he had just met his idol.

As I stared in admiration, Beau caught my gaze. He quickly turned away and went back to the little boy.

I was completely thrilled that Janet had given me the green light on our relationship. I was also out of Millie's grip. Thank God. I hadn't had time to let Beau know about any of it though. He thought I was still furious with him.

I was upset that he had so quickly sold me out, but it had worked out in my favor. I'd only make his grovel slightly...

A couple of hours later the 4th of July festivities were completely underway. People were crowded around the edge of the pond as fireworks lite up the sky. I scanned the different groups of people and finally found Beau not too far away. He was sitting with some of the guys. Most were single, but some had met up with their girlfriends and wives.

There was an empty spot open next to him and a sat down. I turned and wanted to laugh at the expression on his face. It was priceless.

"I.. Uhm... Sage. Look..." He was struggling to form a full sentence.

I kept a stone-walled look on my face.

"Sage, I'm an idiot. I big fucking idiot. I just got so mad and jealous that someone else was trying to get a hold of you. If you lose your job, I swear. I'll go to Ray Shero myself and threaten to resign."

At that last part I had to laugh. Okay, he had suffered enough.

"Sage. Say something. Please."

A huge smile formed on my face. Before he could let out another word, I was kissing him.

"You're an idiot, but you're MY idiot. I wouldn't trade you for a thing."

He looked confused. I told him the good news.

Before I could object he had lifted me up and practically swung me around in a full circle as he gave me the biggest hug. He kissed me every so nicely. The scene was perfect as the fireworks crashed in the air above us.

Beau’s POV

“He lover boy, whatcha thinking.” James said as he sat down next to my locker and me. In the days since the 4th of July chaos, my nickname had changed from ‘Mr. California’ to ‘Lover Boy.’ I had to admit though; it felt really great to not be holding back any secrets from the guys. It had been rough. I mean, they practically were my second family.

Ugh, family…

“Come on rookie, you couldn’t hit the net if you’re God damn life depended on it today. I know something’s going on in that pretty little head of yours.” James continued to tease as he joking shoved my face.

“Bailey and my mom are coming in to town.”

James grimaced.

“They know about Sage?”

“Yep.” I leaned forward, with my elbows resting on my thighs, and buried my face in my hands.

My family’s life revolves around hockey. Growing up in my house that’s all we did. Eat, sleep, breathe, hockey. For the time being, I was the only one who had caught my break in the NHL; my older brother’s were still trying to chase their dreams. My younger sister, Bailey, was getting looked at the go play at the University of Pittsburgh next fall. My mom was flying up so she could see the campus and meet with coaches, but I knew my mom. She had other intentions.

My mother was a great woman and I owed much of my success to her and my dad. That had always made it very clear in my house though that hockey came before anything. This included girls. Sage and I had been doing so well and now this… It just seemed like the universe was desperate to pull us apart.

Mom had scared off more then a handful of girls in her day and I didn’t want Sage to be the next victim.

“It’ll be alright kid.” James finally said as he put his arm on my shoulder.

“Sage is a hell of a girl and it’ll take A LOT more then your mom to scare her off.”

I appreciated his input, but he had only ever met the nice Mrs. Bennett that everyone loved. He hadn’t seen this side of her.

I only hoped that she could see how happy Sage made me. I hoped that James was right.
♠ ♠ ♠
Uh oh! Momma Bennett is coming to town! Stay tuned!

Leave comments too please! :)