Status: Leave me comments

The Rookie

Eleven

Beau had been silent the entire car ride. Usually, he wouldn’t shut up. Once a country song had come on the radio and he didn’t immediately change it, I knew something was going on.

“Beau, what’s wrong?”

“Nothing.” He responded. He didn’t even give a quick look in my direction. Again, very much out of character.

I didn’t say anything in return; I just simply glared at him. It didn’t take him very long to feel the intense stare down coming from my direction.

“Fine.” He sighed and then took a deep breath before he continued on.

“My mom and sister are flying in to town tomorrow.”

Now I was confused. Beau always talked about his family. I had heard so many stories from him these past couple of weeks that it seemed like I knew them already. Everything he had ever told me was good though, why was he freaking out? Hell, if I was him I would be ecstatic! We were both west coast kids and I knew first hand how hard it was to be that far from home. I really didn’t understand his moodiness.

“Why the long face then? I thought you liked your family?”

Again. A long moment of awkward silence. Had I missed something?

“Beau, hun. What’s going on? Did something hap---“

“They aren’t coming down here to see me Sage. They are coming down here to see you.” Beau snapped back at me in a very unfriendly tone.

I was too hurt and shocked to really even reply or ask questions. I sat in my seat and turned by attention from Beau to the road in front of us. I let my mind wonder. Why was Mrs. Bennett making a special trip out east to come meet me? Why was Beau so on edge over it? Did he think she wouldn’t like me? What if she didn’t?

Question after question kept going through my head, but they ceased when Beau suddenly yanked the wheel to the right, found the nearest curb, and threw the Range Rover aggressively in to park.

“Sage, I love my family dearly. They mean the absolute world to me. My family’s life also revolves around hockey though and if my mom thinks that you’re going to interfere with my career, then she will do everything in her power to tear us apart.”

He was breathing much more heavily as he said all of this and I could see the concern written all over his face.
“So do you think your mom isn’t going to like me or something?”

He shook his head viciously and reached for my hand.

“Look, I’m the youngest son and I really wasn’t ever one to bring girls around my house growing up. My older brothers took care of that one mostly, but I’ve seen Mom do her fair share of dirty work to scare of girls. I don’t want that to happen to you. I won’t let it, but you need to be aware of her intentions. She’s playing this off as a college trip for my sister, but I know how she operates.”

I wiggled my hands from his and cupped his face in my hands, then kissed him tenderly.

“I’m not going anywhere.”

He grinned and all of his anxiety and frustrations seemed to melt away.

**Next day**

Beau pulled in to the airport terminal. We only had to wait a couple of minutes before he pointed out his mom and sister walking through the gates.

They both stood out like sore thumbs amongst the crowd of people starting to cultivate outside. You could tell they were clearly from the west coast. Mrs. Bennett looked very young and healthy for her age. I knew she was in her early fifties, but she did not look the part at all. She was unnaturally tan, had bleached hair, and had boobs that practically screamed “WE’RE FAKE” all over them. She was wearing a very skimpy outfit as well.

The young girl next to her was far less flashy. You could still tell that she was out of place, but she was not the spitting image of her mother either. She had the same strawberry blonde hair as Beau and eyes that were bluer then my own. She wore a pair of Nike gym shorts, a work out tank top, and some running shoes to match. Probably the most sticking difference between her mother and herself though, was the fact that her skin didn’t look like she’d rolled around in a bag of Cheetos.

What the actual fuck? That first night I had ever met Beau he had told me that his mom raised him to treat a lady right. This women was as far as it came from what I was imagining. Maybe just the looks were off though? Not her personality.

We both got out of the car to greet them and grab their bags.

“Beau, darling!” His mother yelled as he came around the other side of the car. She pulled him in to a gigantic hug. After letting go of her, he embraced his sister who was equally as thrilled to see him. I took a step closer to the group.

“You must be Sage.” His mom said very matter of factly. It was not a very welcoming tone at all. I thought that maybe she would lean in for a hug, but instead she outstretched her hand.

“Louanna Bennett.” She said as I shook her hand. Wow, talk about awkward family moments…

I tried to be as gracious and polite as I possibly could. I turned my attention to Bailey and expected to get the same cold shoulder from her as well. I was more then surprised when she excitedly gave me a hug.

“I’m Bailey!” She practically screamed.

Not only did her mother and her look completely different, but they had completely opposite personalities as well. Thank God.

“Beau, you could have told me that your girlfriend was practically a model. I would have tried to dress a little but nicer!” She scolded her brother and punched his arm.

The three of us laughed together, but another voice quickly broke our amusement.

“Bailey, don’t be silly. Sage is not nearly as tall or thin as a model should be. Come now, we best be going.” Mrs. Bennett said to us before she began walking to the car. Of course, she took the front seat as well. I probably would have given it to her anyway, but wow… Beau really wasn’t kidding.

A hand grabbed mind.

“She’s a bitch. Don’t worry about it.” Bailey tried to comfort me.

Beau quickly stepped in and kissed my forehead.

“It’s us three against her, don’t be scared.” He whispered to me.

God. I hoped he was right.
♠ ♠ ♠
Okay, I know I wasn't very descriptive or anything for the last chapter. Really hope this makes up for it! Enjoy! :)