Status: Leave me comments

The Rookie

Twelve

The car ride was mostly spent between Beau and his mother talking. You could tell that she absolutely adored her soon and really did want him to succeed. She didn’t talk much about his life outside of hockey, but after what Beau had told me I wasn’t that surprised.

When we got back to his apartment, we both helped move luggage upstairs. Beau was letting his mom take his bed, while Bailey was going to take the spare bedroom. I had gone to put her stuff away.

“Well, she’s just lovely Beau.” His mom said in a snarky, sarcastic tone.

“Mom, knock it off. Give the girl a freakin’ break! You haven’t even really gotten to know her.”

“I know well enough that she’s not right for you!”

Before the conversation could continue any further, I leaped out of my hiding spot at the same time Bailey was coming from the other direction having used the restroom.

“So uhm… I was thinking pizza for dinner?” Beau stumbled the say. He knew that I had just heard him and his mom’s conversation. I could tell just from the look in his eyes that he was feeling bad for me.

We all agreed to pizza and on the way dropped off his mom and sister at the rental car place. Bailey had wanted to stay with us, but her mom had forced her to leave.

“Well, I love your sister.” I finally said.

Beau laughed.

“Yeah, Bailey takes after my dad. She’s the most caring, loving, and selfless person I know. She told me that I better not screw up with you or she’s kick my ass.”

Now I laughed.

Bailey had an athletic build, but the thought of her trying to do any damage to her much larger and more muscular brother was amusing.

When my giggling subsided, Beau took my hand.

“Look, I know that my mom’s going to put you through the ringer. I appreciate you putting up with her this far. I would be stupid to let her ruin anything, Sage.”

I gave him a smile and a kiss on the check. That gesture accompanied with my smile was enough to show him the satisfaction I got from those words.

Eventually me made it to the Jackson’s. Beau had first introduced me to the place and he knew it was my absolute favorite.

We walked up to Louanna and Bailey holding hands and I couldn’t help put catch the uninviting look on his mother’s face.

At Jackson’s, you ordered first and then found yourself a table.

Beau had his arms around my waist and his head on my shoulder as my back clung closely to his chest. A couple of times he had kissed my cheek and I had caught the glare of his mother.

Finally we made our way to a table and small talk ensued.

“So Bails, you ready for your tour tomorrow?” Beau asked his sister.

Her face lit up.

“Duh! If all goes well tomorrow, then I should be able to sign papers by the end of the year!”

They talked some more about hockey and you could tell how passionate Bailey was about the sport she played. You could also tell how proud she was of her brother and how proud Beau was of her too. Their bond was special.

“I heard you use to play hockey too!” Bailey directed her attention towards me.

We talked about the years that I had spent on the ice. She had always had the luxury of playing on women’s teams, and was impressed that I toughed it out with the guys. Her eyes widened when I told her stories of dropping my gloves to fight guys three times my size.

Louanna cleared her throat.

“Must not have been good enough to go anywhere with it though.”

Bailey and Beau both gave her solid death glares, but I figured now was a perfect opportunity to show this lady that I was not backing down. No matter what comments she was going to throw at me.

“Actually, I chose to not have it go anywhere. I decided that I needed to focus on school and that’s exactly what I did. I earned my degree in Business Management with an emphasis is Sports Management. I caught a break and got a job with the Penguins. It’s time to grow up and chase my dreams working for the sport I love, not playing it.”

She was speechless. Beau grabbed my hand from underneath the table and gave it a tight squeeze.

If she was going to say anything, she didn’t have the chance to now. Our food was here.

**Next day**

Beau’s POV

“But Beau, I don’t want to sit here with Mom all day! Can’t I go with you to the rink? I promise I’ll be good! My tour isn’t until like three anyways!” My little sister pleaded with me.

I couldn’t tell the girl no.

“Fine,” I said rolling my eyes. She gave me a huge hug and we left the apartment together. My mom was busy getting ready and Sage had already left for work.

“I’m really happy for you Beau.” She said as we drove to the Consol.

“I’ve never seen you like this before!” She said, flashing me a big smile.

I laughed.

“So you like Sage then?” I asked. I already knew the answer. She had spent the night at Sage’s apartment last night and if she could have gone to work with her, I’m pretty sure she would have.

“I LOVE HER!” She exclaimed.

“Seriously, Beau. You fuck this up with her and I may have to hire someone to chop your balls off in your sleep.” She said this more seriously.

I assured her that this would not be a problem.

Sage’s POV

I was in a really good mood at work today. I had almost not paper work and could spent the day moving at my own pace. Last night with Bailey had been so much fun and she had fully supported mine and Beau’s relationship. It was very comforting.

“Sage!” I heard an annoying voice as it approached my office.

For once, I didn’t even think Millie was going to ruin my day.

She barged in to my office with a stack of papers and let them fall to my desk.

“Janet left these for you last week, but I seem to have forgotten about them… Whoops.” She said innocently.

“Millie! These are all due tomorrow!” I yelled as I flipped through the papers.

I was just getting ready to let her have it when there was a knock on my door.

It was Louanna. My day just officially went to shit.

Millie quickly ran and gave her a hug. They kissed the side of each other’s cheeks. I absolutely hated when girls did that.

“Oh my goodness Lou! You look stunning! I didn’t know you were in town!” She squealed.

“Oh hunny, you look just as gorgeous yourself! I just got her yesterday!”

Why was I not surprised that these two got along ever so perfectly?

“Well, Sage. I was going to see if you wanted to grab lunch with me. Looks like you’re too busy though.” Louanna said. You could tell that she was just trying to act upset, but it was all fake.

Before I could even say anything, Millie beat me to it.

“Sage is swamped! But don’t make your trip a complete waste! I’ll go with you.”

As the two skipped off together, I knew that this was not going to end well.